Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Protests at 4th Street Live

no avatar
User

David H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Pewee Valley

Protests at 4th Street Live

by David H. » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 pm

I work in one of the towers at the edge of 4SL, and there have been protests on and off for about the past 3-4 months. I first noticed them when they were protesting the construction company that was building J. Gumbo's. Now they have been outside the Starks building protesting a different company, though the signs look about the same, making me think that they are professional protesters. I'd like to know two things:

1. What/whom are they protesting?

2. It looks like a pretty easy job... How do I get this gig? :wink:

I'm not trying to get into a major political/moral discussion, I'd just like to know who has been shouting and chanting during my lunch hour. They've been using those cheer-leading cones, so their voices echo up and down 4SL.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Protests on 4th

by Pam G » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:08 pm

I think they are homeless people hired by a carpenter union to protest Star Drywall. Star Drywall does not pay union wages. At least that is what I have read in Business First. They seem to be protesting one place or another around 4th street. I also work about a half block from 4SL and you can not enjoy the area or eat outside without hearing that awful drone.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:18 pm

It's a Union sign to be taken to major contract jobs using non union labor.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

Re: Protests at 4th Street Live

by James Paul » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:06 am

1. What/whom are they protesting?

2. It looks like a pretty easy job... How do I get this gig? :wink:

I'm not trying to get into a major political/moral discussion, I'd just like to know who has been shouting and chanting during my lunch hour. They've been using those cheer-leading cones, so their voices echo up and down 4SL.[/quote]

I am not sure how to get a job, as protester. Think about it, you just show up with and fly a sign stating you need: "Work for food".

You can change it up every couple of hours by having "Need Money for Beer" pre-painted on the other side. Just flip sides and change "caps. and

Viola!
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !