Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Landscaping

no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Landscaping

by Eliza W » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 am

We recently purchased a house, and the yard is a mess. We would like to hire a landscaper for some major renovations.

We have had a couple of estimates, but pretty much everyone suggests work that would result in a boring suburban lawn.

We want something unique and beautiful, not a stretch of grass and a few uninteresting bushes and beds.

Does anyone know a good landscaper who has some design talent?
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:21 am

I don't know whether Maggie Oster does landscaping, per se, but she may be able to help you find what you need in a landscaper or perhaps do something along consulting. She's in southern Indiana, and here's a link to her web site.

http://www.maggieoster.com/

edit: looks like the web site isn't fully up, but here's a link to a blurb about her at the National Gardening Association (she lives in Borden):

http://www.garden.org/regional/report/author/8
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:59 am

After posting my message above, I went over to The New York Times and this article was in the Home & Garden section.

http://www.garden.org/regional/report/author/8

My husband and I are constantly working on landscaping around our house, and it's been a huge project. We've done it ourselves, and it's not there by a long shot, but bit by bit and section by section we're coming up with a sort of cohesive look. But there's still more, way more, we want to do, and we never really know how to approach it. We usually do it by talking for months about potential plans, hashing through possibilities, and a lot of standing around in the yard and driveway and walking around and considering.

I'm considering giving Maggie Oster a call myself, for maybe a little bit of consulting, but we're always reluctant to pay anybody for a thing we figure we should be able to figure out ourselves.

When we first moved into our house, it was just a house plunked down in the middle of ten acres. No landscaping of any kind, only two tiny pear trees, and a driveway. Not even a sidewalk to the front stairs. We started by putting a sidewalk in. We stood around the front of the house for weeks, dragging a long hose around to set off potential parameters, and then started digging and putting in stone.

Our sidewalk/construction mess, finished about 2 years ago:

ugly garage door:

new doors into garage/now bakery:

pergola/patio work, outside bakery:

finished pergola/patio, completed a couple of weeks ago:

pic of the front yard about 3 or 4 weeks ago (one of the horse pastures is in front of the front yard, and this is taken standing at the fence):

This weekend we're working on the landscaping around the patio/pergola, putting in gardens and stone walls.

We haven't even gotten around to the back of the house yet.

I'm thinking we'll never be done. If I could only convince my husband to win the lottery, we could pay somebody for this stuff.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

lanscaper

by Heather Y » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:05 pm

What a beautiful home!
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

landscaping

by Paula B » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Helios Landscaping, definitely worth a call for help in your yard. I have used Eric, and recommended him to several people w/ good results. The number is 821-2051. Good luck.

Paula Barmore
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Thanks

by Eliza W » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:15 am

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Unlike the home pictured, where the yard was sort of a blank canvas, ours is an older home in need of rehab. The person we bought from was elderly and rarely left the house, and you can tell from the hard-packed dirt and roots all over the yard.

At the very least, we have to improve the quality of the soil, and the job of getting roots out without killing the trees is beyond us.

Good luck with your home and thank you for your help.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:27 pm

To continue on this topic....

I am looking for a landscape designer. My husband and I will do all the work, but any suggestions on a creative designer to help with a layout would be appreciated. Paula B. recommended Eric from Helios....will he just do the design part? I have heard that many landscape places will not design unless you purchase plants through them and/or have them do the work. Any insight is appreciated!

Lori
no avatar
User

KDunn

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 pm

St. Matthews

Landscaper

by KDunn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:34 pm

You need to call David Dornick at Otte's Landscaping in Middletown. He is extremely creative and knowledgable. I have seen his work in many areas, and you would be very fortunate to have him take care of your landscaping.