Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Police to Conduct Safety Checks

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Police to Conduct Safety Checks

by Steve P » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:50 pm

From the CJ...Just a little something to keep in the back of your mind when you head out for Happy Hour.

Kentucky State Police will conduct safety checks in eight counties, including Jefferson, covered by Post 4 in Elizabethtown throughout June.

The other counties are Breckinridge, Bullitt, Grayson, Hardin, Larue, Meade and Nelson.

The checks, which will be concentrated on weekend nights, will be aimed at reducing impaired driving as well as checking on use of seat belts and child-safety seats.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: Police to Conduct Safety Checks

by Bill P » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Safety Checks? Is that a Kentucky euphemism for Sobriety Checkpoints?
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I neither support drinking and driving nor not wearing seatbelts, but these "checks" are too Orwellian for my tastes. They are a huge invasion of privacy and an inconvenience on people who simply made the choice to travel a public roadway.

My only advice to anyone stopped at one of these check points is to remember that you are being stopped and questioned without probable cause. You weren't speeding, you weren't weaving, and a cop on the roadway would have had no cause to pull you over. Officers often use intimidation tactics at these checkpoints to scare you into getting out of your car or allowing them to search your car. Be polite but firm, show your license, registration, and insurance, and then ask to be on your way. If they refuse, ask them the reason that they're detaining you further. It's none of their business where you've been or where you're going.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:I neither support drinking and driving nor not wearing seatbelts, but these "checks" are too Orwellian for my tastes. They are a huge invasion of privacy and an inconvenience on people who simply made the choice to travel a public roadway.

I couldn't think of a statement that more accurately mirrors my own opinion on the subject.

In MN these stops often resemble something you might imagine occurring in one of the old "Iron Curtain" countries "Your pay-puhs please Comrade"). In MN roads are blocked, helicopters circle, Quartz Halogen lights blaze...I've even witnessed then setting up a temporary "jail" in a grocery store parking lot...right down to the portable trailer for processing the "perps" and a chain link enclosure for "holding".

BTW...on a semi related note...We were on our way back from NE Ohio last weekend. In the course of 270 miles of interstate travel in Ohio we counted over 30 highway patrol cars. In the 90 miles from the Ohio river to our home in the O.C....none. I must say I did NOT feel any less safe in KY than I did in Ohio.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 am

Steve P wrote: I couldn't think of a statement that more accurately mirrors my own opinion on the subject.

In MN these stops often resemble something you might imagine occurring in one of the old "Iron Curtain" countries "Your pay-puhs please Comrade"). In MN roads are blocked, helicopters circle, Quartz Halogen lights blaze...I've even witnessed then setting up a temporary "jail" in a grocery store parking lot...right down to the portable trailer for processing the "perps" and a chain link enclosure for "holding".

BTW...on a semi related note...We were on our way back from NE Ohio last weekend. In the course of 270 miles of interstate travel in Ohio we counted over 30 highway patrol cars. In the 90 miles from the Ohio river to our home in the O.C....none. I must say I did NOT feel any less safe in KY than I did in Ohio.

And statistics show that roving patrols are actually more effective at getting drunk drivers. Often the purpose of these is not to catch drunk drivers, but to scare some teenager into letting the cop search his car looking for a little weed. Sober or drunk, these stops have enough cops, flashing lights, and sounds to scare and intimidate most people. They are a nuisance, and it's unfortunate that our courts have been so lenient in letting this practice continue. From a legal standpoint, they make no sense, but when challenged courts consistently ignore that fact and create a justification without basis.

And on Ohio, my dad works out of Columbus a lot. I hate driving up there. Once you cross the Kentucky line the troopers in the median double, and like you, I feel no safer on Ohio roads because of it.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Steve,
Remember talking about getting stopped on Supper Bowl? We both went through the same safety check in Buckner. You about a half hour before me. The cop asked you if you had been drinking and you very nicely asked why he is asking you that question. When I went through they did not ask me that. I guess they got together after your stop and said " hum maybe we should not ask people that out of the blue"

I am all for safe roads but these checks are too much.

Brad,
I heard that if you do not let them look in your car that they will often call a K9 unit in to do a little sniff sniff. Is this true?
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Will Crawford wrote:Steve,
Remember talking about getting stopped on Supper Bowl?

Yeah, that was bizzare...The comrades had a checkpoint at the Buckner exit out in the middle of no where. What's up with that ? Good thing they didn't call my bluff that night <Doh> :shock:
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 pm

What "Supper Bowl" was that?
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Bill P wrote:What "Supper Bowl" was that?

Super ----Supper ...food on the brain
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Steve P wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:I neither support drinking and driving nor not wearing seatbelts, but these "checks" are too Orwellian for my tastes. They are a huge invasion of privacy and an inconvenience on people who simply made the choice to travel a public roadway.

I couldn't think of a statement that more accurately mirrors my own opinion on the subject.

Just FYI - even if you can't see them in Ohio they're there! I have radar detection in my car, and over the years have been stopped more than once by bears in the air!

Now at least in Ohio they often give you 4-5 miles over the limit. Back in the '80's and before it was one mile and you're pulled over (and that's still the case on I-71 near the Cleveland airport as one little suburb encompasses 20 yards of highway!)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Interesting. I've driven Louisville to Dayton countless times (and on north from there) and never notice that much of a difference in patrol numbers. In fact, I see the largest concentration on the I-71/I-75 section of Northern Kentucky. Given the speed limit jumps all over the place on that stretch, it's a nice little place to add to the state revenue. I had a run-in with a trooper there once who couldn't quit comprehend (or didn't want to comprehend) the difference between acceleration and velocity. Great story, for over drinks one day.

Must be that all the cops hang out on 71 in Ohio.

Now here's the scary part. I had dreams about "safety checks" last night. Had not seen this thread. And, had not been drinking. In my dream, the checkpoint was at Preston and the Outer Loop.

Seems most of the checkpoints are at places where it's hard to avoid them in regards to turning around. Exit ramps are one location. I've also heard that the Taylorsville/Bardstown intersection is a go-to location, but I do not know how true that is.

What time do they run these things? Granted, drunk people are on the road at all hours, but if you are really wanting to catch drunk drivers, I would think you would need to do these from, what, 2-5am?
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 am

andrew mellman wrote:(and that's still the case on I-71 near the Cleveland airport as one little suburb encompasses 20 yards of highway!)

Ahhhhhhh yes...Good ol' Linndale. I had an interesting experience there back in the mid-80's.

A friend and I were returning home from a day in the "Flats" followed by a Browns night game...in a word, we were hammered (this was back in the day before the concept of designated drivers had become popular). Anyway, we're cruising down I-71 and I breezed through Linndale at 3 or 4 mph over the speed limit (58-59 mph) and sure enough, here come the blue lights. After being pulled over I was invited back to the patrol car and wouldn't you know it but getting out of the car, I step on a piece of road debris twisting my ankle and damn near falling right in front of the cop....Soooooo we get back to the patrol car and the conversation goes like this:

Have you been drinking tonight Mr. P ?

Why Noooooooo offer-sure,

Are you SURE you haven't been drinking ?

Nooooooo offer-sure, we'vvvve shjust had some pop at the game.

So you are OK to drive then Mr. P ?

Ccccccertainly offer-sure....No problemsh.

Alright then Mr. P...I'm going to give you a ticket for speeding...I clocked you doing 90 mph in a 55 mph zone. You don't have a problem with that DO you Mr. P ?

:shock: 90 MPH ?...Why no offer-sure, whatever you say.

Alright Mr. P, here's your ticket. Drive safely

Interestingly, after paying the substantial fine associated with this ticket...No demerit "points" ever showed up on my license.