Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

break ins

User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

break ins

by Heather Y » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Folks,

For those who live in the Highlands, my partners house was broken into yesterday. (Fourth). The day before.. there was a guy with a ball cap and wearing a polo with a logo of APX trying to sell alarm systems, and was really eager to get in the house to make his deal.

My partner told him he was not interested, and finally got him to go away.
Last night he came home to his back door kicked in and bedroom ransacked.
Keep your eyes open, and your doors locked, and do not talk to door to door salespeople!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Yikes. Two folks (1 male, 1 female) came to our house yesterday selling alarm systems. We did not let them in the house. Do you know for sure that the "alarm system salesperson" and your friend's break-in are connected? If so, do you know if the police are actively involved? Please PM me, if necessary. Thanks
no avatar
User

Andrew Adler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Louisville, KY USA

by Andrew Adler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:17 pm

Hmmm...that APX guy just came by where I'm housesitting. He didn't get past the front porch.

Thanks for the alert...aa.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

call your district

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Any of you that have seen this possible suspect needs to call the LMPD division house and talk to either the detective assigned to the break-in or the crime prevention officer! The only way they can assemble a profile is with input from the witnesses/victims. Sounds like a possible pattern to me.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Andrew Adler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY USA

by Andrew Adler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:57 pm

A quick web check reveals that APX/Apex (headquartered in Utah) has built something of a reputation for using less than scrupulously forthcoming door-to-door salespeople to push its products and services. The guy who came to my door (also wearing a polo shirt and cap) looked to be around 55-60 years old, slender build, with a clipboard. Asked if I was the homeowner, did I rent -- at which point I shut down the "conversation" and closed my door. I'm going to call LMPD in just a bit.

(I'm on Roanoke, BTW)

aa.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Andrew Adler wrote:A quick web check reveals that APX/Apex (headquartered in Utah) has built something of a reputation for using less than scrupulously forthcoming door-to-door salespeople to push its products and services. The guy who came to my door (also wearing a polo shirt and cap) looked to be around 55-60 years old, slender build, with a clipboard. Asked if I was the homeowner, did I rent -- at which point I shut down the "conversation" and closed my door. I'm going to call LMPD in just a bit.

(I'm on Roanoke, BTW)

aa.

For those of you who've had this guy(s) at your door, if you don't mind me asking... what streets are we talking about?

I noticed Andrew mentioning being on Roanoke, which raise my eyebrows - i'm on Richmond, one street over...
I've been home for the past 4 days i haven't seen a trace of anybody peddling door to door. (yet, and hopefully not at all.)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Andrew Adler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY USA

by Andrew Adler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Well, just as I was typing my last message, I noticed an LMPD patrol car roll up to a house across the street. Seems this APX guy (with a woman, apparently) was working much of the block, enough so that the homeowner called the police. I scooted across to chime in. Unfortunately, none of us noticed what kind of car/truck he was driving. But the alert definitely has been given.

aa.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:38 pm

In a previous address my hubby and I helped the neighborhood develope leads from a series of break ins. It was amazing how the smallest thing seen by someone can turn into a break - just like TV!! :wink: People don't realize how much what appears to be innocent activity is someone casing the place. The burglers count on that and that most people just don't pay attention or don't want tp "get involved".

There may not be a connection, but then again.........
Retired from LMEMS
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:In a previous address my hubby and I helped the neighborhood develope leads from a series of break ins. It was amazing how the smallest thing seen by someone can turn into a break - just like TV!! :wink: People don't realize how much what appears to be innocent activity is someone casing the place. The burglers count on that and that most people just don't pay attention or don't want tp "get involved".

There may not be a connection, but then again.........

I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

That in mind - anyone have the division dispatch number handy should anyone need it?
I know i got a Deer Park newsletter in the mail a few weeks ago that had it.
Said something about call dispatch rather than 911 for immediete response.
In the course of moving, i think it got tossed before i could save the number in my phone. :(
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Andrew Adler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY USA

by Andrew Adler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:53 pm

LMPD Fifth Division phone number is 574-7636.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Andrew Adler wrote:LMPD Fifth Division phone number is 574-7636.

Thank you!
Ethan Ray

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:44 pm

Ethan Ray wrote: For those of you who've had this guy(s) at your door, if you don't mind me asking... what streets are we talking about?

I noticed Andrew mentioning being on Roanoke, which raise my eyebrows - i'm on Richmond, one street over...
I've been home for the past 4 days i haven't seen a trace of anybody peddling door to door. (yet, and hopefully not at all.)

I noticed them on Douglass Blvd. and Blvd Napoleon on July 4th. It is still speculation that the reported break-in and the presence of the folks going door-to-door are connected - right? Guess you can't be too careful.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

break

by Heather Y » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:05 pm

Deerwood
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: break

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Heather Y wrote:Deerwood

Looks like the trend is in Deer Park then...
Ethan Ray

User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

Simple things

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 pm

It may be as simple as someone watching the alarm sales folksand figuring who does not have one!!!
Retired from LMEMS
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
Next