Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!

Just out of curiosity...

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Just out of curiosity...

by Carla G » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:04 am

... what's anybody reading book-wise recently?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

Re: Just out of curiosity...

by Jessica Devine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:31 am

My book club just finished Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's the follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love. We're huge fans!

I recently started The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. It's been translated from French so it's a little tough to follow for me.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 am

I'm reading "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned", Alan Alda's autobiography.

I never knew anything about his life except that he is Robert Alda's son. Turns out his mother was schizophrenic; he had polio as a child; spent his early years in the wings of burlesque theaters where his father was a performer. Really interesting and exceptionally well written. M*A*S*H was only small part of his story.

http://www.amazon.com/Never-Have-Your-D ... 709&sr=8-1

Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

The Remarkable Farkle McBride by John Lithgow.
MissChele
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Currently reading Big Fish just for fun.

Recently finished an amazing book called Midnights With the Mystic by Cheryl Simone and Sadhguru Jaddi Vasudev.
Attachments
midnights.jpg
midnights.jpg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 am

I'm in the process of revisiting "One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish". I LOVE the plot and no matter how many times I read it, the ending is always a big surprise. Awesome book.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 am

Laura T wrote:Currently reading Big Fish just for fun.

Recently finished an amazing book called Midnights With the Mystic by Cheryl Simone and Sadhguru Jaddi Vasudev.

Sounds good. Why did you like it?
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 am

Carla G wrote:
Laura T wrote:Currently reading Big Fish just for fun.

Sounds good. Why did you like it?

Carla, I'm a spiritual seeker so I just love anything that speaks to me on a deeper level. Sadhguru's words were beautiful and inspiring. It's pretty hard to describe it, but reading the book gave me goosebumps. :)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:24 pm

The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand

Author: Jim Harrison

Amazon.com Review
Jim Harrison's The Raw and the Cooked extols our profound (and precarious) relationship to what we eat, and to the natural world. Compiled from the author's much-loved Esquire, Smart, and Men's Journal columns, the book offers charging personal panoramas in the guise of food essays. In pieces with titles like "Conscious Dining," "Hunger, Real and Unreal," and "Repulsion and Grace," Harrison--a kind of dharma bum cum foodie--takes his readers into realms of taste and feeling, spirit and body. "We are often like autistic children," he writes, "unable to connect experiences, especially if we want something interesting to eat." A Michigan "outlander," he nonetheless travels wide and can tell of the "tummy thrills" engendered by trips to restaurants like Manhattan's Babbo, meals planned and meals remembered. But the journeys he likes best involve hunting or foraging, his personal salves: "I arrived home in a palsied state," he writes. "To set the brakes, I wandered for hours in the woods looking for morels. At one point I wandered three hours to find four morels. I did however gather enough to cook our annual spring rite, a simple sauté of the mushrooms, wild leeks and sweetbreads."
A warning: Harrison can lick his spiritual wounds publicly for long stretches, and not all readers will find his swaggering muscularity to their taste. Those who follow him are, however, rewarded by contact with his passion and sly, world-colliding depictions: "The dinner was a mystical experience," he writes, "and as such you must live through it to fully understand the mysticality ... less apparent when I got up next morning in a driving rainstorm with the usual flooded freeways." --Arthur Boehm --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Attachments
51YDudEyXbL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51YDudEyXbL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg (19.26 KiB) Viewed 7593 times
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Justin- how long has this been on the shelves? Long enough to find it at a used book store maybe?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:25 am

Carla G wrote:Justin- how long has this been on the shelves? Long enough to find it at a used book store maybe?

It has been out for a long time. I bought mine used off half.com for around $3.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/