Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!

Community Theater

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Community Theater

by Kim H » Thu May 21, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm thinking, just thinking, about doing some community theater <small gulp>. I've tossed this idea around for some time, but I have never acted before. I have absolutely no frame of reference, or a thought of where to begin....

I may not even do it, but I'd like to know what the options are. Any thoughts?
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: Community Theater

by carla griffin » Fri May 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Do it do it do it! Louisville has a great group of small, independent theater groups. Even if you can't/don't want to/too shy to act there is plenty to do to participate. Volunteers are needed in many different capacities and you wind up meeting some very nice, very talented folks. Check out the Theater Alliance of Louisville if you don't as of yet have a specific theater group in mind.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Thanks for the response, Carla! Do you participate in any theaters? Any recommendations? I'm a strange child, in that I can be somewhat shy in social situations, a lot of times not, but I'm pretty good at speaking in front of people. I go into a zone or something. I believe participating in some sort of theater, either in front or behind the scenes, would be really rewarding, and a fun new experience. Suggestions/guidancne welcome.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sat May 23, 2009 7:47 am

My participation with theaters has been limited to handling their advertising. Once upon a time (in a galaxy far far away) I was the AE advertising rep for LEO. I made friends with many if not most of the directors. My daughter, who is now in London (with a masters in classical acting from SCSD) worked here locally for a brief period of time as well. She's been working in Colorado, Paris , London, Canada, in the theater in some capacity and thinks Louisville's theatrical groups are great. They have great skills and great people with fewer of the bitchy prima donnas seen in many groups elsewhere. Clarksville Little Theater used to have a very nice troupe and may still. I haven't been over there in a long time but once upon a time it was very good. Then of course there's The Little Colonel Playhouse in PeeWee Valley. Add to those many little independents that don't have their own theaters but put on some great stuff. Specific Gravity Ensemble does some of the most innovative plays anywhere and have even been written up in the international press for their own production, "Elevator Plays". And they are a swell bunch of folks too.
So, you have many options. Any of which should offer you some fun experiences as well new friends.Let us know which one you decide to work with. Break a leg!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat May 23, 2009 8:06 am

Also Bunbury Theater in the Henry Clay building.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Kim H wrote:I'm a strange child, in that I can be somewhat shy in social situations, a lot of times not, but I'm pretty good at speaking in front of people. I go into a zone or something.

Say, you're not my long-lost twin, are ya ...
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun May 24, 2009 7:30 pm

I've been really impressed with the theater community here in L'ville. Actually it is one of the reasons for my move here since I can't imagine living in a town with little theater.
Unfortunately you missed the unified auditions by a month or so, but keep an eye out in the Sun. paper as all the companies post upcoming auditions there.
I have worked with Pandora Productions which is the LGBT theater in town and I highly recommend them. Michael Drury is the artistic director and he is one the most talented, kindest people I know.
Have fun, Kim.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun May 24, 2009 7:49 pm

A big second to Pandora and Michael Drury. Gary wasn't exaggerating when referring to Michael's kindness or talent; Michael is one of the finest individuals I know.
Carla
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon May 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Kim H wrote:Thanks for the response, Carla! Do you participate in any theaters? Any recommendations? I'm a strange child, in that I can be somewhat shy in social situations, a lot of times not, but I'm pretty good at speaking in front of people. I go into a zone or something. I believe participating in some sort of theater, either in front or behind the scenes, would be really rewarding, and a fun new experience. Suggestions/guidancne welcome.

I understand what you mean about being "in the zone", Kim...I lack the talent and inner depth to be an actor and always experience a bit of anxiety before addressing large groups (which I do semi-regularly) ...but like you, once I'm up there it's as though someone flipped a switch and I just slip into that "zone"...yet to step onto a stage a perform a characterization in a play -- I couldn't do that...but as others have posted, you should attend auditions and get a feel for the dynamic of the group...in time you'll find a comfortable fit, whether it's on the stage or behind it...I admire people who can step out and do something like that.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I cannot thank you all enough for your responses! Carla - I can't imagine what your daughter's life must be like! And how exciting for her, and for you to watch her grow and develop in such a creative, yet competitve environment... it must be rewarding. Can I ask - were you always supportive? A lot of parents wouldn't be, at least at first, and I commend you. I used to make my own 'menus' for my Mom and Dad, especially after he got sick, and after a few of these meals, he told me, "You could open your own restaurant! .... BUT DOOOON'T!!!!" They're from an older generation, but it can also be taken as sound advice, esp. these days. Still makes me laugh to think of that moment, though. Biggest compliment I've ever had taken back :wink:

I digress... I think the best thing for me to do is to research some of these companies, and participate behind the scenes before I 'go for it'. Get my sea legs, so-to-speak. That's what I did before I went sky diving. I hung out w/someone who was an experienced sky diver, went with him on jumps, and got an idea of what to expect. So when my time came, as scary as it was, I was... ok, you're never really ready, but prep helps! I still may not do this, but I can't thank you all enough for your responses and encouragement!!!

It's storming - I sure hope we don't lose power AGAIN. THAT scares me! :shock:
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Honey, if you can jump out of a perfectly good airplane, you can do anything!
Carla
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 28, 2009 2:12 pm

carla griffin wrote:Honey, if you can jump out of a perfectly good airplane, you can do anything!

:D That was my thought when I did it - it was right after graduation from college, and my 'leap into life' kind of thing. I'm in career/life transition again, and thought something else that would push me to the edge my be in order, which is one reason I'm considering the theater. Still contemplating, but I'll keep you posted, and thanks again!
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 am

Kim,
If you're still reading this thread, please go to http://www.theatrelouisville.org for a list of most of Louisville's theater groups, as well as contact info, auditions, listings, reviews. Catclaw Theatre, run by my boyfriend, Jeffrey Scott Holland, is always looking for new talent. Their website is http://www.catclawtheatre.com

There are many good groups here and they are always looking for new faces. I don't know what kind of theater you're interested in, whether you have had any training, etc. It is hard to single out the "best" theater here; it depends on what you like.

Some of my favorites (besides Actors Theatre) are: Finnigan Productions (Brian Walker) is always doing new plays. Necessary Theatre produces lots of interesting work. Louisville Rep, Specific Gravity Ensemble, Pandora Productions (in no particular order except what sprang to mind first). I love musicals so I always enjoy CentreStage at JCC, Derby Dinner Playhouse, Clarksville Little Theatre, Music Theatre Louisville. More traditional community theatre groups are As Yet Unnamed Theatre Company (still unnamed after 11 years!), Shelby County Playhouse, Bunbury, Little Colonel Players in Pewee Valley....and in Corydon, the Haywood Theater has done some fine work. U of L and IUS also have excellent theater departments....I know I've left some people out unintentionally (it's late!). But check the Theatrelouisville site and also Theatre Alliance of Louisville.

I would also suggest if you have had no training in acting, that you take a class with Kathy Ellis or Megan Burnett in the Mellwood Center. There should be a link on the theatrelouisville website for contact info for their classes. There are other folks offering classes but I'm not familiar with them (I have taken a class with Megan and it was a lot of fun).

Just introduce yourself to the cast and crew at the next play you attend and you will find lots of friendly people willing to help you out. The Louisville theater scene is close knit but not exclusive.
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:04 am

StageLab is the name of the acting studio I was trying to think of. Lee Look is also involved with it and he is one of the nicest bartenders in town (at the Patron), as well as a theater professional and a firefighter, and a playwright.... :wink:

StageLab
Studio 156 Mellwood Arts & Entertainment Center
Louisville, Kentucky 40204
502-741-8392
stagelab@insightbb.com
http://stagelablouisville.ggoglepages.com/stagelab

this is the link they posted but it doesn't look right...and i'm too tired to check it.... :?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:22 am

I will second Kathi Ellis as a teacher and director.