Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!

The Bob Dylan Show & His Band

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

The Bob Dylan Show & His Band

by Gayle DeM » Mon May 04, 2009 11:03 am

I just got my tickets for the July 8th - The Bob Dylan Show & His Band - Bob Dylan,John Mellencamp,Willie Nelson at Slugger Field. Is anyone else going?
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Re: The Bob Dylan Show & His Band

by John Hagan » Mon May 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up Gayle. Looks like a good line up. Looking forward I see thats on a Wednesday. If tickets dont run out and it fits our schedule,Anne and I will be there. How much were seats?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat May 30, 2009 3:34 pm

I love Dylan and Willie but can not stand Mellencamp. I really want to see the other two but feel Johnny boy will ruin the night for me.
Will Crawford
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat May 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Will Crawford wrote:I love Dylan and Willie but can not stand Mellencamp. I really want to see the other two but feel Johnny boy will ruin the night for me.

This is what makes the world go 'round: I would have said exactly the opposite of what you said, Will!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun May 31, 2009 1:12 am

TP Lowe wrote:
Will Crawford wrote:I love Dylan and Willie but can not stand Mellencamp. I really want to see the other two but feel Johnny boy will ruin the night for me.

This is what makes the world go 'round: I would have said exactly the opposite of what you said, Will!

Kinda depends on which Mellencamp shows up. Personally I found his latest release to be a disturbing effort which (lyrically) left me with the overwhelming urge to gouge my eyes out with my car keys. On the other hand I would probably put a couple of his more commercial efforts on my "take with me to a desert island list" (Scarecrow, Big Daddy, etc).
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun May 31, 2009 2:15 am

Richard WON tickets for this. Just as I was trying to figure out how to afford it after Sake Blue and a family reunion trip.....yea!!! :D :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun May 31, 2009 8:39 am

TP Lowe wrote:

I saw Mr. Cougar open for the Kinks at Louisville Gardens, back during the "I need a Lover" stage and I really thought he was awful. I guess I am carrying that with me.
Will Crawford
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Sun May 31, 2009 4:26 pm

Well, of the three, I've only seen Willie Nelson in person before. While I'm not one of his biggest fans, he certainly is an "entertainer." Right up there with Judy Garland and Liberace in my mind, not that I was a fan of either, but they surely could put on a show. I am a fan of Dylan, more so in some of his reinventions than others. I don't know beans about Mellencamp, but I'm sure I will enjoy 66.6666....7% of the show. Now if I could get y investments to perform at the rate! :wink:
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun May 31, 2009 7:39 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:Well, of the three, I've only seen Willie Nelson in person before. While I'm not one of his biggest fans, he certainly is an "entertainer." Right up there with Judy Garland and Liberace in my mind, not that I was a fan of either, but they surely could put on a show. I am a fan of Dylan, more so in some of his reinventions than others. I don't know beans about Mellencamp, but I'm sure I will enjoy 66.6666....7% of the show. Now if I could get y investments to perform at the rate! :wink:

Gayle,

I'll be kind of curious to read the reviews of this concert. The artist line up offers the potential for an outstanding concert. On the other hand some of the recent comments/reviews I've read (Rolling Stone, etc) have been less than flattering. As an example, Mellencamp recently stated (to paraphrase) that he doesn't care if he ever writes another "popular" song, that he is writing for himself...and playing what he wants to hear these days. Heckuva thing for an "entertainer" to say.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:56 am

Im thinking that Mellonball will be the weak link in this show. I have seen Wille a number of times and he never disappoints. I have also had the pleasure to see Dylan on a few occasions. While Dylan is one of the singer/songwriters I respect the most(second only to Woody Guthrie) his live act can be hit or miss. I went to one show where he only played for half an hour and then let the opening act finish the show. As for Mellonball...Ive seen him a number of times and just never got into it. He gets the crowd fired up with the classic hits but it has sounded kind of canned to me. It might be refreshing to hear some of his work that isnt all radio hits.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:30 am

I love Dylan as well, as long as it's on tape (or disc or vinyl or whatever) but I've seen him twice in person and both times he was a bit of a poop. As if he was just too cool to play in front of the hoipolloi.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am

Last time I saw Dylan live he played keys all night and never looked at the audience. Kind of weird. He has a great band though. The guy's an enigma but one of the greats!

I agree with those who just assume pass on Mellencamp.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:23 am

carla griffin wrote:I love Dylan as well, as long as it's on tape (or disc or vinyl or whatever) but I've seen him twice in person and both times he was a bit of a poop. As if he was just too cool to play in front of the hoipolloi.

Actually he is too cool.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 pm

So Willie Nelson swung, John Mellancamp rocked, and Bob Dylan kept on "keepin' on." It was a great evening and the eleven of us had a great time. :D
User

Mark B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:15 pm

On the edge of insanity

by Mark B » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 am

Willie was great, John rocked and Bob was OK.
Unlike most of you, I am not a nut, but I do roast em.