Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!

Louisville music festivals

User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

Louisville music festivals

by Shawn Vest » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:24 am

this is just a random question and i'm sure to take some heat for it

Did Louisville corner the market on cover band festivals??

I find it odd that we have not one, but two festivals devoted to multiple bands who specialize in performing the work of other artists.
Do other cities have events like Abbey Road and the Golden Road?

I think we have a great original music scene in Louisville (and always have as long as i can remember) and i know we have a few smaller festivals devoted to local acts. I just find it weird that people would pay to see 20 bands perform the music of the Beatles, but not come out and see 20 bands perform original music.
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

J Dylan

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Louisville music festivals

by J Dylan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:25 am

Shawn...I'm not sure of overall festivals...but check out http://www.forecastlefest.com/ as I posted before.

At the risk of sounding like a school girl........................The Black Keys Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am

Abbey Road on the River started in Cleveland, OH and then was brought to Louisville a few years ago. Someone involved in that festival decided to take the model and use it with the Grateful Dead. This will be the first year for that event.

Abbey Road is a very successful event in terms of attendance and sponsorship.

Forecastle has done really well with sponsorship, but has struggled a bit with attendance, and that has NEVER made sense to me. I think it is a great event. I am hopeful that attendance numbers will be MUCH better with this year's line-up.

I help organize a jug band festival in Louisville. This year will be our 5th event. I don't quite know how we fall on the spectrum of covers vs. original music because we are talking about a style of music from the 1920's - so there are definitely covers but also lots of original music. Folks from all around the world know about the historic ties with Louisville and Jug Band Music - it's our mission to celebrate that history locally. It's also our mission to keep the music alive by getting kids and young adults involved. Sponsorship is definitely our main challenge. We don't fit anyone's demographic! lol.....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:58 pm

i love the jug band festival, to me a great "louisville original"
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 am

Shawn Vest wrote:i love the jug band festival, to me a great "louisville original"

Thanks Shawn! Our event this year is Sept 19th - at Brown-Forman Amphitheater. The line-up is about 85% complete and should be officially announced very soon!

Also should mention Terrastock 7 that took place in Louisville last year as a great independent music festival - but I don't think it is an annual event for our fair city. The Good Folk Fest that has taken place at Mellwood for the past few years is another Louisville original. And I know Peak Summit has been around for quite a while now, but they definitely deserve a mention as well! :)
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm

all great festivals, just seems that they don't get the attention they deserve
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:48 am

I'm all for the Black Keys, but two nights of Widespread Panic? Ugh. One night would have been more than enough. Did they even try to get the regrouped My Bloody Valentine? I'd pay to see them.