Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

LEO cover story on Sacred Harp / Fish Fry Invite

by Michele Cull » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Check out the great article on Sacred Harp singing in LEO this week by Joe Manning. (If you look at page 17, I am on the right side of the photo, holding my daughter.) I have been singing shape note for a dozen or so years and I think Joe captured the essence of the music beautifully. Here is more info on our 2009 convention. We would love to see some of you HotBytes folks!!!

The Ohio Valley Shape Note Singers, part of VSBC, proudly hosts the 2009 Harrods Creek Shape Note Convention. Activities this year include a Friday Fish Fry, a special documentary presentation on Shape Note music, and the 14th Session of the Harrods Creek Convention.

On Friday, April 24th, VSBC will host Convention activities at their building. Beginning at 5:30p, a community Fish Fry will welcome out of town guests and local residents alike. At 7:00p, the documentary, Awake My Soul, The Story of the Sacred Harp, will be shown in its entirety. Film directors and producers, Matt and Erica Hinton, will be at this presentation and will host an informal question and answer session afterward.

Saturday, April 25th and Sunday, April 26th is the weekend’s main event: The 14th Session of the Harrods Creek Convention. Hosted at Harrods Creek Baptist Church in Brownsboro KY, people of all ages and backgrounds gather to sing old style a capella hymns from three different tunebooks.
MissChele
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: LEO cover story on Sacred Harp / Fish Fry Invite

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:08 am

Congrats, Michele, and a really interesting story!

Here's a link to the online edition, which links in turn to a sample of the music. 'fraid your picture didn't seem to make the Website, though. (Note that the apostrophes in the link make it non-clickable from the forum, but you can select, copy and paste the full link into an open window in your Web browser.)

http://www.leoweekly.com/music/‘we-our-voices-high-should-raise’
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

Re: LEO cover story on Sacred Harp / Fish Fry Invite

by Michele Cull » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Just a reminder, The fish fry & film screening is this Friday. See above for more info. We will be frying around 100 lbs of catfish (up from 60 last year) and offering burgers, hot dogs, veg friendly items, sides and desserts. Free of charge. Everyone is welcome!

MissChele
MissChele