Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!

New at the Speed

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

New at the Speed

by GaryF » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:59 am

I was out by U of L today and dropped by the Speed, I highly recommend the exhibits being shown there at the moment.
I am a fan of contempary art and was delighted with the Vogel exhibit. The Vogel's story is a book in itself. They started collecting in 1962, she was a librarian and he had a similar job (there goes my memory). Over the years they amassed a large collection often befriending the artists at the same time. As I understand it they donated part of that collection to the National Gallery in 1991. Since then they have collected another 2500 pieces which they have divided into 50 lots of 50 pieces and donated one lot to an art institution in every state. The exhibition is their gift to us.
The pieces are a diverse lot and some really challanged me and made me think about what is considered art and it's place in modern life.
Leading into the gallery is a show of some of the Speed's own holdings. It provides a perfect introducton to the Vogel show.
Downstairs there is a show of recent donations and acquisitions. I found it wonderfully eclectic, from old master works to modern artists. The best part for me were the brief bios of the benefactors which gave lives to the often unknown names I see printed under the titles of art pieces.
It is a wonderful way to spend a thoughtful hour or two, and how lucky are we that it is still FREE!
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: New at the Speed

by carla griffin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 am

Thank you Gary for reminding me of my favorite pondering place. I think a stroll through the Speed is in order.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: New at the Speed

by carla griffin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 am

Had a nice visit at the Speed yesterday. I was able to linger and take my time and stroll through at my own pace. It seems in the past I've popped in to see new exhibits but neglected the rest of the museum thinking that I'd seen most all of it before anyway.
The Vogel exhibit was interesting but, for me, even better was rediscovering the rest of the museum. I was able to read all the notes on the walls and by doing so, discovered an abundance of fascinating stories on pieces that have been at the Speed all along. If you haven't been ... go. If you've been but not lately... go again. Look at it all through different eyes.
Thanks again Gary for the reminder. It made for a splendid day.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost