Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

update on the health of Louisville arts

by TP Lowe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:25 pm

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: update on the health of Louisville arts

by GaryF » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:53 am

I could only read the first few paragraphs, but it sounds a little hopeful.
Fingers crossed.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:29 am

Geez, my apologies, Gary. I even logged off my Business First connection to make sure I could read the article in its entirety without a subscription. Not sure what happened.

The crux of the article, as articulated by Jennifer Bielstein, ED of Actors Theatre, is this: without finding a way to increase revenues, earned or contributed, the number of performances (shows, exhibitions, etc) in our community is going to decline. With endowments down and contributions likely to fall (especially corporate) we're going to be in a period of delicate balancing for arts orgs between fulfilling their mission and creating deficits.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:08 am

Some may say, "No big deal, so what's a few less plays? It is, after all, only entertainment." But it is a big deal and it's an especially big deal now that the nation's economic times are what they are. The need for the arts in our community- ANY community- may not be as obvious as the need for health care, fire/police protection, education, affordable housing, (all very real and essential) but it is every bit as important. The arts help keep us emotionally healthy so that we stand a chance of getting through this too damaged. During the previous great depression, movie theater attendance skyrocketed. People scrapped pennies together to see a film so that , even if just for an hour or so, they could escape the dire situation they were experiencing. They took an emotional 'breather' if you will.

As far back as Shakespeare the poorest wanted/needed some sort of entertainment if only to remind them of what could be for them. The arts in all its many forms are essential to our emotional health and well being. It helps us keep our hopes alive and offers , if for only a bit, a respite from a difficult situation. If this depression is to be beaten, we need to be reminded that we CAN beat it. Before leaving Berea, my daughter taught dramatic arts to grade school kids. Most all of them were impoverished, very poor. Discipline problems were rampant... except for the days just prior to and after her classes. Acting was an outlet for these children who otherwise had little or no control over their lives. I guess what I'm saying is that we currently live in times when many adults feel the same way. I'm not saying the arts are the solution, but the arts will certainly play a part in helping the nation get through this mess. Now more than ever the arts need our support. Not for the arts... for ourselves.

Time for me to step down from my soap box.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 am

Well said Carla!
Having worked for two arts organizations in town I can tell you that corporate contributions were being cut back several years ago. The situation is that the corporate 'pie' is only so big and the hands that want a slice continue to grow or they need a bigger slice than previous years. It is a tough situation. As the article stated we are fortunate to have The Fund for the Arts here - my opinion on that will remain unstated - but it does provide needed funding to many smaller arts organizations which have limited resources. I would remind everyone who does contribute to the Fund for the Arts that you can designate your gift go to your favorite arts organization. Those funds designated are given over and above that organizations' allocation from the Fund.

Best thing we can do is go and buy a ticket - see a dance performance or a play or enjoy some classical music - it is good for the soul and for our community.

*stepping down*
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:43 am

Last edited by Jay M. on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 pm

This is a really broad stroke answer, but typically earned income makes up about 50-60% of arts orgs top line, with the balance coming from donations, government support (minimal, and not all orgs get anything from government) and endowment and other (cafe, sales from shop, etc) revenues. Of course, those number vary wildly depending on the specific org, but I don't think most people know when they buy a ticket to an arts event that somehow the arts org has to come up with roughly the same dollar amount in order to put on the performance.

I, and many others, have spent enormous amounts of time in recent years thinking about this revenue model and how to improve it. For example, subscriptions to series have declined for years, precipitously so since 9/11. Replacing this predictable flow of revenue is difficult. It means orgs have to be more aggressive in securing gifts and looking for other sources of revenue. There are very few cities/regions (Denver, Pittsburgh, and most recently Minnesota) where there is political will to address the whole revenue model (i.e., put in place a tax). Of course, in Louisville we are fortunate to have the Fund for the Arts that will raise $10 million for member groups this year (that's their goal, at least, and I imagine they'll find a way to do it).

Sorry for the lengthy answer.

(full disclose - currently Chair of the Kentucky Arts Council and vice-chair of Speed Museum board)