Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!

Joan Baez concert

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Joan Baez concert

by Gayle DeM » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:26 am

Wow! What an evening! The woman is an antique (I mean she is even older than I!). But can she sing! Her voice hasn't lost one iota. It is totally intact. I can't think of one other recording artist, whose first solo albums were releases in 1960, who can still hit a note. (Well, there is Bob Dylan, whose first album was released in 1962, two year's after Ms. Baez's first album, but then I don't think old Bob is rated for his vocal quality.)

The concert lasted 1 hour and 53 minutes non-stop. That means no intermission. Sure she sipped some water or other beverage from a glass, but Ms. Baez was on stage the whole time! Even her band left for a break, while she sang four songs solo, three with her guitar and one acapela. She totally blew me (and the greater part of the audience, as far as I could tell) away.

Now I must admit that I haven't followed her lately. (My recordings of her on all on warped LPs :oops: ) But tomorrow I will hit earX-tacy (shop Louisville, first) and remedy that situation. Furthermore, I will definitely be checking her tour schedule to figure out when I can see her again1
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Joan Baez concert

by GaryF » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 am

I had tickets for the show and was looking forward to it, but a board meeting I was at ran waaaay long. I thought about trying to get in late- but that is the person I always curse.
I do offer up one recording artist, though of a totally different stripe, who is still recording after 57 years- Barbara Cook. She was the original Cunigonde in Bernstein's Candide and the original Marion the librarian in Music Man. In the early 70's she started singing in cabarets and is now a national treasure IMHO. She puts out about an album a year and I have every single one. She was the first popular female artist to have a one woman show at the Metropolitan Opera (3 years ago) and just sang at the Philharmonic for her 80th birthday.
So sorry to go on- can you tell she's one of my favs?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:24 am

Oh, Gary, I'm so sorry you missed the concert. Lateness shouldn't have stopped you. People kept arriving throughout the first hour.

I loved your share. Let's talk about her at the Sunday gathering.

The point that I was trying to make on my post was the fact the Ms. Baez's voice had not deteriorated one iota. It totally amazed me.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gayle DeM » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 am

Thank you for the "heads up," Annemaire.