Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Humana Festival of New American Plays is Underway

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:49 pm

Ameriville is the opener, and the new plays will be coming hot and heavy in the next few weeks. Find out more here:

http://actorstheatre.org/humana.htm
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: Humana Festival of New American Plays is Underway

by Sherry Deatrick » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:31 pm

I saw Ameriville on Wednesday -- although it is a bit heavy on facts and figures and "preachiness," I loved it! I applaud Actors for showcasing this play as the Festival opener -- nothing like a bit of agitprop theater to get people excited!

Great performances!
Bravo!
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherry Deatrick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Zoe Kazan's Absalom - the play is not so good. Boring and heavy-handed, hard for ordinary people to relate to (it's about a family of literary "giants" at their summer home in the Berkshires). Great looking set.

Naomi Wallace's Hard Weather Boating Party -- local author makes good. Interesting play, moves along briskly, lots of laughs and sadness all rolled into one. I don't think it's very fair to Rubbertown though -- but I'm not an expert on environmental issues. Still, it keeps you interested in the outcome, and the language is polished and poetic. i recommend it. I hear she's the daughter of Henry, of Henry's Ark. Love that place!
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

"Zoe Kazan's Absalom - the play is not so good. Boring and heavy-handed, hard for ordinary people to relate to (it's about a family of literary "giants" at their summer home in the Berkshires). Great looking set."

I'll second Sherry's comments about "Absalom." I left at intermission.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks for posting these mini-interviews. The first two years I lived here I saw every play, but now that I work it's good to know which I should try to see.
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherry Deatrick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 pm

If you see one Humana play this year, you must see "Under Construction" by Charles Mee. I saw it tonight for the second time. It's even better seeing it twice. It's sheer perfection -- yes, it's disturbing but also funny -- what can you expect from a show that encapsulates modern America? The beauty of it is its optimism and exhortation to live every minute to the fullest. The actors are so talented and they treat their bodies like temples -- you should see the muscles! Such grace and perfect movement, even when they're clowning around.

Heck, I'd see this play a third time!

Thanks to Actors Theatre for daring to stage such an innovative work! Can't wait to see what the out of town critics think!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:01 am

Not to minimize any review here or elsewhere, I'd encourage anyone interested in theater to see as many of these plays as possible and draw your own conclusions. The Festival is never 100%, nor 0%, likable or enjoyable for anyone who sees a number of the plays. It is wonderful to see this many fully developed productions (i.e., not readings) in one city in one short stretch, so please take advantage of the opportunity.
User

Casandra C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

by Casandra C » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I will respectfully disagree, and say that I quite enjoyed "Absalom". My only complaint would be that it could've ended a scene or two before it did... it actually felt as if it DID end, and then it continued on for just a bit that was unnecessary.
"We can't have people running around eating pie and eggs for breakfast--- it's not on the menu."- WB
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherry Deatrick » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:11 am

I forgot to mention Slasher ...it's strange that I keep forgetting it was in the line-up. It's not that I think it is a slight play. It's actually quite interesting and could be really great after some re-writes. For example, lots of the dialog is predictable, the film producer is too stereotypical...the first scene with him and the flunky is just too long and expositional. But I loved the feminist mother and the message of this play -- a view that I share (that the feminist movement's gains are slipping away). It amazes me that some critics don't even see that as the point -- they dismiss the play as a mere parody of slasher films. Duh...

I always hate for the festival to end. It's such an exciting time.