Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Dorthy's not the only one with red shoes!

by Gayle DeM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:15 pm

(Robin, excuse me for posting this on the LR Forum but I don't think the Louisville Arts and Entertainment Forum gets as many hits as this one does. I'll understand if you move it.)

Yesterday’s Louisville Orchestra Hardscuffle Coffee Classics was the best orchestra concert that I have been to ever :!:

All three pieces performed were rooted in folk music. The concert opened with Variaciones concertantes, op. 23 by the Argentine composer Alberto Ginastera - think gaucho music in symphonic form. Brilliant! The concert ended with Symphony No. 2 in C Minor, op. 17 ("Little Russian") by Tchaikovsky - think Ukrainian folk songs. Pure Tchaikovsky!

But the "piece de resistance" was the second offering: Voodoo Violin Concerto No. 1 composed and performed by Daniel Bernard Roumain - think "hip hop" in symphonic form. The four movements combing perpetual motion with slow funk were played with formal break. Besides bowing in circular motion, playing the violin like a guitar while holding the bow between his teeth, DBR literally danced about the stage. I have never heard or seen anything like it. Amazing doesn't begin to describe it.

The best part is that all three will be preformed again this evening at the Kentucky Center. And you can get $10 rush tickets for tonight's performance. Run, don't walk to get them; the concert starts at 8pm.

(Oh yeah, the red shoes: Roumain wore shiny red shoes that made Dorothy's pale in comparison.)
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Dorthy's not the only one with red shoes!

by GaryF » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:20 am

I missed this but I did catch Roumain in NY in Oct. I surprised he didn't perform his new piece Darwin's Meditation for the People of Lincoln which I believe was written for the joint bicentennail of Darwin and Lincoln. I found it to be a mesmerizing pice of performance art and well worth the import. Perhaps it wasn't available to the LO when the contract was signed but I would urge them to look at it for a future date.