Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Re: Any other 91.9 WFPK addicts?

by Jackie R. » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Aw Heather! When I worked at Meridian Cafe 13 years ago with Jeff, that was his deal, too! Prior to that I considered myself already musically cultured, but working for him improved it even more. That's where I discovered Bela Fleck in New Grass Revival, Nanci Griffith, the October Project, blah blah blah. He and I used to go see live bands together as well and they were always live shows that were broadcast on fpk. At the time, Your Girlfriend (Laura Shine's all girl band) was in full swing and she was buddies with our crew.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Love WFPK

its what we listen to at the CPC 99.9% of the time

Matt Anthony is my current favorite, he is the only one who plays Afro-Pop and i need some Fela Kuti ever since i was exposed to it via Afro-Pop worldwide which used to air on Saturday mornings

and yes, almost everything i know about Jazz i learned from Phil Bailey, my favorite radio DJ of all time, i often miss my jazz and Phil stories around 2pm

where else can i hear jazz, bluegrass, americana, & the grateful dead on sunday

hope you all contributed
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm

The first time I met Phil he was playing bass with the Glenn Miller Orchestra in Columbia, Kentucky. I guess I was 15 (that would be 34 years ago, thank you!). I probably gigged with him 100 times after that and spent many pleasant hours (days?) talking jazz and life over the years. I'll always miss Phil, when running into a solo he liked, or an arrangement he enjoyed playing, when he would say "Arrrrrr, yeah, I remember that cut was recorded on a Sunday afternoon in 1964, and Miles was just coming off a gig in Denmark, and he was hung over and played the gig with a headache, so he couldn't get into the groove with that D mixolydian thing happening. Yeah, man, what a record ..." Best advice Phil ever gave me: I was talking with him on my cell on the way home from one in a series of atrocious days at my office in 1997, and Phil said, "man, you just need to have your f***-you fund together and you won't have to deal with that s*** any longer." He was right, and I didn't for much longer!
Last edited by TP Lowe on Sat May 09, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:55 am

great story TP
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

by Michael Sell » Fri May 08, 2009 1:12 pm

t
Last edited by Michael Sell on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sun May 10, 2009 8:43 pm

you have got the wrong station tuned in..
91.9 fm

saturdays at 12 is Relix which is a trip back to the 60s and 70s...but i don't think i've ever heard solo Ozzy on WFPK (black sabbath on occasion, but no Crazy Train)
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

by Michael Sell » Mon May 11, 2009 12:19 pm

t
Last edited by Michael Sell on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

I just dumped my satellite radio to cut costs. I had been listening to it since 05 almost exclusively, so I was completely out of touch with the local radio scene. I quickly picked up on FPK and love it. It definitely has more sense of culture than most of the other local stations. I was listening one evening to a very interesting blue grass feature and the guy conducting the show could barely get the equipment working, but somehow it just worked.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 pm

ok, i'm rarely up before 9 am, but War Pigs is a great anti-war song to wake up to in the morning

3:57 pm - ryan adams is on
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 21, 2009 1:32 pm

I am almost an exclusive FPK listener (we also listen to FPL for news, etc.) I support them, both vocally, as well as financially. I have found myself traveling on occasion without CD's, and end up flipping through bad commercial radio. I don't understand how people listen to it intentionally, and on a daily basis. The format is all the same, they consistently play the one or two hits from the same album, cut off songs, and blare, and I mean BLARE!, some obnoxious radio thing (I don't know what to call it, except, "help me turn the volume down, QUICK!").

Anyway, rock on FPK. And all those who support public radio...
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm

I know I'm resurrecting a Really Old Thread, but I have to say that I've been listening to WFPK long distance on the web for a while now, mostly on Saturdays, and I have to say that Louisville is really lucky to have such a gem. Just since I've been listening today they've played a really great variety of music, including a song by the Decemberists, a cut from Red Hot + Rio, Jackie Wilson and two different versions Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb (though my favorite is the version with Roger Waters and Van Morrison at the Berlin wall) followed by Al Green with Lyle Lovett. Pardon my French, but Hot Damn!

I might go so far to say that WFPK is in the same league as KCRW in Santa Monica for quality of programming in the public broadcasting arena.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Be sure and check out John La Barbera's "Best Coast Jazz" show on Sunday at 10AM EST. You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone more knowledgeable about big band jazz that John (he was Buddy Rich's chief arranger for years and played trumpet on the band). John is a prof at UofL ...
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:06 pm

My personal favorite is the Blues on Saturday night.
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 am

Shawn Vest wrote:Love WFPK

where else can i hear jazz, bluegrass, americana, & the grateful dead on sunday

Amen 8)
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Previous