Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Dec 6th KCA

by Steve Cecil » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:39 pm

I've seen at Bela at least 6 times, and I always walk away stunned. His bass player, Victor Wooten, is easily one of the top 5 bassists playing now. They got their start together as a band at a KCA Lonesome Pine show back in 1988. Hard to believe it's been 20 years (as I look in the mirror at the gray in my goatee and hair)! There's plenty of live shows out there for free (they allow recording and trading). I've got several shows that I would be glad to share, if anyone is interested.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Dec 6th KCA

by Mike Hardin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 pm

The father of a friend of mine got him to play here (maybe before the KCA show in 1988) for the Crusade for Children. My friend just saw them in San Francisco and got to meet the band. He said Bela remembered his dad well and thanked him for helping get some exposure. He was awestruck to say the least.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Steve Cecil wrote:I've seen at Bela at least 6 times, and I always walk away stunned. His bass player, Victor Wooten, is easily one of the top 5 bassists playing now. They got their start together as a band at a KCA Lonesome Pine show back in 1988. Hard to believe it's been 20 years (as I look in the mirror at the gray in my goatee and hair)! There's plenty of live shows out there for free (they allow recording and trading). I've got several shows that I would be glad to share, if anyone is interested.

Steve,

A friend of ours has been encouraging us to see Bela Fleck for several years...So we bought tickets for tonight's show. Watched a few of his videos on UTube...seems like an awesome performer.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 am

Any post show comments or reviews?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:04 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Any post show comments or reviews?

There is no doubt that these are some very talented musicians but IMHO it was a pretty lame/boring show...We're both pretty enthusiastic about most types of music but I suppose Christmas music played on the banjo is not one of them. Maybe the second (non-Christmas music) set was better than the first but we'll never know...We bailed out and headed over to Dutch's where we caught the last two sets of "The Big Rock Show". Sorry...hate to be so negative, especially about someone who has so many devoted fans.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:10 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Any post show comments or reviews?

In retrospect perhaps it would have been best to compare the show to a fine scotch whiskey...in other words something one must acquire a taste for. I hope that was a bit less negative.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:47 am

Honest answers appreciated!

If I'm not mistaken, I think one of the cuts from the Christmas album was just nominated for a Grammy (best instrumental solo/performance/something like that). Doesn't mean you should have to like it, though!