Love music, culture and the arts? From pop to rock to classical, from anime to fine art, if it's arts and local (or even not that local), let's talk about it here!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: A personal observation/rant

by TP Lowe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Steve A wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:Same here, Steve. Right now I'm listening to a Mexico-based big band (very traditional modern big band music), and I've been listening to a lot Cuban and Puerto Rican salsa in recent years. More classical now, too (but I sure wish WUOL would get off the "greatest hits" lists and take some risk with their programming).

For something completely different, you should check out Gipsy Kings (youtube taste). Their genre is sometimes called Flamenco Rumba, though oddly enough they come from France.

Good suggestion - I've been listening to them for about twenty years! They were probably my first dose of nontraditional music.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

A few bands I'd have given just about anything to see live...

Led Zeppelin
Thin Lizzy
Mott The Hoople
Queen
the MC5 ( there's actually a youtube video of Trent Reznor and the guys from Street Sweeper Social Club doing a live version of "Kick Out the Jams" that will blow your mind)

and David Bowie in the 70's.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Added to the collection today:

Jimmy Scott "But Beautiful"
Art Farmer "Farmer's Market"
Sonny Rollins "Rollins Plays for Bird"
Kenny Burrell "Lucky So and So"
Manhattan Transfer "Couldn't Be Hotter"
Miles Davis Compilation from Prestige label

Guess they are my antidote to Forecastle, for which I am not nearly cool enough to even understand.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:10 pm

One of my favorite bands to see live is/was Rusted Root...who knows if they are still around, but they were very simplistic about 10 years ago. I just recently discovered the Gyspy Kings thanks to XM...really liked what I've heard, had no idea they've been around for so long!

I would have loved to been around to see Led Zepplin and Aerosmith when they were just getting started. But if we could time travel, I'd have to go see Frank first!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Madeline M wrote:One of my favorite bands to see live is/was Rusted Root...who knows if they are still around

http://www.rustedroot.com/tour

Aug 14
Mile High Music Festival Commerce City CO Festival Pricing BUY
Aug 27
3:00 pm Snow Ridge Ski Area Turin NY $75 adv BUY
Aug 28
3:00 pm Snow Ridge Ski Area Turin NY $75 adv BUY
Sep 05
Hartwood Acres Pittsburgh PA Suggested donation of $20 / car BUY
Nov 04
7:00 pm Pullo Family Performing Arts Center York PA $32 / $50 VIP BUY
Nov 10
7:00 pm The State Theatre - Falls Church Falls Church VA $25 BUY
Nov 11
7:00 pm The Ridgefield Playhouse Ridgefield CT $55 BUY
Nov 12
7:00 pm Nokia Theatre Times Square New York NY $22.50 BUY
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:04 am

Madeline M wrote:One of my favorite bands to see live is/was Rusted Root...who knows if they are still around, but they were very simplistic about 10 years ago. I just recently discovered the Gyspy Kings thanks to XM...really liked what I've heard, had no idea they've been around for so long!

Check out "Gypsy Caravan" a documentary available via Net Flicks. You might enjoy it.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

by Michael Sell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:44 pm

ggg
Last edited by Michael Sell on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 am

Palladia, although owned by MTV, is doing a fine job at showcasing talent, both new and old. Lots of Unplugged and Storyteller episodes, no hiding on an unplugged set.

They showed Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's about a month ago and I was blown away. Man, that guy is good!

I'm also really liking Mumford & Sons, a young folk/rock band out of London.

The members of Mumford & Sons have shared a common purpose: to make music that matters, without taking themselves too seriously. Four young men from West London in their early twenties, they have fire in their bellies, romance in their hearts, and rapture in their masterful, melancholy voices. They create a gutsy, old-time sound that marries the magic of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young with the might of Kings Of Leon, and their incredible energy draws us in quickly to their circle of songs, to the warmth of their stories, and to their magical community of misty-eyed men.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Palladia, although owned by MTV, is doing a fine job at showcasing talent, both new and old. Lots of Unplugged and Storyteller episodes, no hiding on an unplugged set.

Agreed. I've seen a lot of good stuff on Palladia.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
Previous