Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Simply Addicted...to Simply Thai

by Lori R. » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 pm

I just love this little gem. Since they have opened I visit at least twice a week and have always had excellent service and excellent food. Since it is very close to my office I usualy have lunch, and occasionally get take-out for dinner. Hoping to brign a bottle of wine and enjoy a sit-down dinner very soon on a Saturday evening. I was wondering if anyone has tried the "Amazing Sea Bass" on their menu??[/img][/quote]
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Word..

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 am

...I fancy myself a Pad Thai nut, and it's my favorite in the city. Sooooo creamy. Pad Thai, what a great dish...

That homemade green sauce they have is :shock:

Plus, it's nice to be able to order a spicy yellowtail roll while I wait. Sushi + Thai, can't beat it!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:11 pm

How is the thai curry's there? I am addicted to curry and I have yet to find a curry that even closely rivals the thai curry's from Thai Smile 5.
no avatar
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 pm

John R. wrote:How is the thai curry's there? I am addicted to curry and I have yet to find a curry that even closely rivals the thai curry's from Thai Smile 5.

I just had the green curry (again) two nights ago; I love it. I asked them to kick up the spice, and it was wonderful. Excellent flavor.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:51 pm

What I really need is someone who has had curry's from both places. I will give it a try nonetheless. Although, I feel as if I am cheating on a lover by going anywhere but thai smile.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Simply Thai

by Lori R. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:20 pm

Since I have not had curry from Thai Smile 5 I cannot comment on the comparison...but I can say that Simply Thai curry is wonderful. Let us know what you think when you do try it and how it compares.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:23 pm

Well, I tried their green and red curry dishes........and they were prepared well. They were also tasteless. Not to hurt feelings but they are probably on the lower level of thai curry in Louisville. This is only for curry though ..........and the appetizer which was also tasteless and boring. Shrimp packages. They were fried perfectly but it was a fried shrimp, no more, no less. They had a sweet sauce with cucumber and onion that helped it but it was...eh but fried perfectly.

Back to the curry though. I was totally underwhelmed. It had no balance between curry heat and sweet. If I didn't know what I was getting I would have never guessed, thai curry. There was very little curry flavor. The green looked like Campbells cream of broccolli, which is never a good sign. The red looked good but was bland. Little flavor and the heat was good for them not asking how spicy we wanted it.

Since I find myself a bit of a thai curry expert or lack of expertise, I will give you my best thai curry in Louisville list.

1. Thai Smile 5 - All of them are good. Good balance and lots of different veggies. Drawback is they are very close in taste to one another. Very subtle differences but there are differences.

2. Mai's thai - Mai's thai is hit and miss. More hit than miss so they are second, a very distant second.

3. Sala thai - I almost put them in the same category as Mai's. When they are on they are smoking when they are off, it is awful.

4. Thai taste - They are really close to Sala and I have seen some of the same workers there which brings up the flag that they might be the same.

5. Lemongrass - They aren't bad when they get it right. No taste when they get it wrong.

5. Simply Thai - It's a "thai" with Lemongrass (Brdtwn rd) Granted I have only been there once but I did have half of their curry menu and only their curry and one appetizer. There is room to move up but considering thai smile blows away all of the competition Lance Armstrong style, I may never go back to this place.

7. Thai Siam - It is not very good and a waste of money considering above.

Consistency is a big thing for me. Thai smile is constant. Mai's, Sala, and taste can be off from time to time. Lemongrass is unpredictable. Simply thai is consistent from the two dishes we had but still very bland. Who knows what to expect from Siam.

Basically to be pithy, Simply thai is simply not even close to thai smile 5 in the curry category. For my tastes, that is my opinion. I don't mind disagreements. I will eat stuff even if it is not cool or trendy, means, more for me. Not talking about anyone specifically but I tend to find that people only have an opinion after there has been some kind of group consensus. I take that back. I do want people to like it so they stay in business, so that I don't have to come to some kind of agreement for them to give me their secrets so that I may prepare it myself.
Last edited by John R. on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

anthonys

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Louisville

by anthonys » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:23 pm

Simply Thai is probably my favorite Thai spot in town.

Love that you can order sushi with thai. I have not tried any of there curry, only the Pad Thai so I am no help in that department.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

I find the sushi part interesting.

I haven't tried the pad thai anywhere but Thai Smile and Mai's Thai. I preferred Mai's Thai's Pad Thai but I can't get away from curry so that takes me to Preston.

Have you been to all of the thai places in town? If you haven't I would recommend hitting all of them. You might find one you prefer or you might find no contest but at least you would know.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Lunch today

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Went to Simply Thai for lunch today, and had the red curry.

Deelish, fiery, yum!!!!!

I highly recommend it!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Poor Heather Y. ha! I say that as a joke but really folks, I don't say this to be right or correct or I told you so. I have to share it with people so that they may feel nirvana, I cannot keep it to myself. You people really need to try the curry at Thai Smile 5. Really! If you have and you don't like it, then more power to you. Once you go to heaven, even the most beautiful earthly places lose their luster. :P Seriously, make the trip to Preston for their Curry. The only thing I would warn about is the possibility that it might "MIGHT" be too sweet for those who don't like spicy. You need the spicy for the balance and they MAY not back off on the sweet if you get mild spice. Then again they may. I don't know, I get only spicy.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

oh woe is me!

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:44 pm

Okay John,

your on! I will go to Thai smile, and we will see if you are correct.

For those folks who REALLY like curry, would not question it's heat or sweet if prepared properly.

I will let ya know!
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

BY THE WAY

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:45 pm

By the way John, There ARE other ways to reach Nirvana! LOL!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:00 pm

haha! That's good. I can only say that I am correct for my tastes, based on all the restaurants in Louis. If you have similar tastes, you will like it. Robin doesn't seem to share my tastes. His experience was just ok at Thai smile. Which isn't good because he is way more impressionable than I. He seems to really like Sala and I am there with him but the last time I was there they served me food from a chef in training. That is not a good idea. You don't taste test new chefs on customers. You make sure he/she is trained first to rival tastes, then unleash on customers. I didnt like that at all. He is correct about the spiciness though. Sala blasted me one time and Thai Smile has never gotten me uncomfortable.

I seriously need people to share the love of Thai Smile, I don't really care either way except for the fact that if they get no business then they go away and I don't want them to go away cause I would have to go back to inconsistency that rattles me. It's fantastic, it's bland. fantastic, its ok. It drives me nuts. Why can't they do it the same everytime I visit! ha!
Last edited by John R. on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

Nir.....

by John R. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:00 pm

Oh my! :oops:
Next