Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Papalino's pizza is open today?

by Brad Keeton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 pm

We ordered delivery on Sunday - pie with garlic spinach and pepperoni (wanted pancetta, but they were out). Excellent pizza - definitely my favorite New York-style in the city - beats Spinelli's hands down. Got from 40204 to 40205 in about 45 minutes, still piping hot. The gentleman who delivered it was wearing an apron, so perhaps he cooked it himself?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 pm

After hanging out at the Irish Rover (and not getting to eat their "real" food), we headed over for pizza.
The breadsticks ROCK! Ours had a completely burned (breaking apart in crumbles so burned) bubble right in the middle, but otherwise were fantastic! And HUGE! The garlic butter is addictive. Super yummy!
We had (for five people) two pepperoni slices and one sausage. All great and huge. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:09 pm

I know Spinelli's has its followers, but at risk of being a "hater," I just want to say that I am really happy that there is a place in town that people are describing as "better than Spinelli's." It might just have been bad timing, but my experience at Spinelli's has always been rude service and awful food, the kind of occasion where you feel like the joke's on you for paying for it.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:38 am

Tried a slice of the traditional pizza a Papalino's the other day--great. But my kids love bacon on their pizza, and the Pancetta that Papalino's uses was too salty for them. So we ordered Spinelli's the other day, and I was reminded of how much I love Spinelli's as well.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Laura T wrote:I know Spinelli's has its followers, but at risk of being a "hater," I just want to say that I am really happy that there is a place in town that people are describing as "better than Spinelli's." It might just have been bad timing, but my experience at Spinelli's has always been rude service and awful food, the kind of occasion where you feel like the joke's on you for paying for it.

I do not want to ever use this forum to bash others but I think I can agree with you Laura without having to unleash my issues with Papalino's competitors down the street. I'll also add that quality products and quality service go a long way.
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

by Anthony U » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:29 pm

I finally visited Papalino's today for lunch. I grew up in NYC, and still visit many times each year. This is excellent pie at a great price. It fills a great niche for Louisville, and its right up there with Luigi's. I will absolutely be back. Thank you!
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm

I took one of the leftover slices for lunch today. The other teachers were DROOLING when I told them that was only ONE slice. It was just as tasty warmed over today as it was last night.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Just wanted to pile on with more positive comments... Had the white pizza and added spinach and roasted peppers tonight and it was fantastic. Accompanied by a brooklyn pennant ale it made a fantastic meal! They were slammed so it took a little time to get the food but it was definitely worth the wait.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 am

I have been twice now and I do enjoy the quality ingredient pizza. It's tasty, and I do like it a lot. However, I do have a couple suggestions.

1) I ordered a pizza. Half the pizza had pepperoni. The other half had red pepper and mushroom. I was charged for 3 ingredients.Whereas the norm for other pizza joints (Wicks, Bearnos, Impellizaris, Dominos, Pizza Hut) is to charge for each ingredient that covers the pizza. In this case, the competition would have charged me for 2 toppings. Except for Spinelli's, who did this one night to me and I ended up with a $34 pizza before tip. I never went back to the place because I felt ripped off. Just a thought: charge for layers of toppings opposed to each single ingredient.

2) When I walked in, I saw a couple of guys putting the tables and chairs away while grabbing a smoke while doing so. A few minutes later, as I was waiting for my pie, one worker came back inside and started making food. As I do hope he washed his hands, I think as the consumer, I would have felt more comfortable seeing the staff wearing disposable gloves while preparing the food.

Just my two cents. Other than that, I think you have a winner on your hands!
no avatar
User

StaceyBreckel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

by StaceyBreckel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:43 pm

After reading the reviews, my fiance' and I stopped by yesterday for lunch. We were VERY impressed. With Tuesday being my busiest day of the week work-wise, we each got a slice for lunch, and then one each to go to reheat later for dinner. All I want to do by the time I arrive home in the evening is relax, so it worked out nicely having a slice to have when I got home that night.
For lunch, my fiance' ordered the sausage, and I ordered the mushroom, and then we each reheated a slice of pepperoni later that evening. I have to say, this is the best pizza I've had in Louisville. I'll definitely be back again, and plan to try more of the toppings.
As an aside, how far will they deliver? I live just under 4 miles from them (outside the highlands), so am not sure if they deliver where I live or not.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:35 am

We're going there for lunch today, about 45 minutes....I'll let you know what this Brooklyn-ite thinks.
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 pm

I had my first taste on Wed. and was impressed. One slice = A LOT. People were streaming in and out while I ate. Hopefully; they will stick around for a long time.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

I liked them enough to buy 10 pies for my band's show tomorrow.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Alan is now making his own bacon, which made a mighty good slice today.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Went today for the first time and my family and I LOVED the pizza. It was so delicious. The $3.00 slices were so big that my boys shared a slice. I had the garlic sauteed spinach topping on mine and it was very fresh and yummy. The best part, according to my husband, was the cannoli. As good as the ones we get at the Italian Market in Philly.
PreviousNext