Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Difabio's Casapela

by JustinHammond » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:09 pm

It looks to be Italian place going by the name, which I can't remember.

Any info floating around out there?[list=][/list]
Last edited by JustinHammond on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New restaurant in former Parella's building.

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:08 pm

We live nearby and often use the ATM just down that block, but durn if I've noticed. Will keep an eye out the next time I'm over that way, although I hope someone else will get there sooner!
no avatar
User

Bradley M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:14 am

by Bradley M » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 am

I walk by there quite often and the name I got was Difabio's. They have a web address http://www.difabios.com which says they are located out of Madisonville, Ky. but, interestingly, the website fails to mention anything about whether this is a move or another location.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 am

I'm from Madisonville, and I highly doubt it's the same people

However, if it is, Louisville is in for a treat. They are an Italian family, and it's as authentic as you can get, and as good as any Italian I've had around here.

Not gonna get the 'flare' of a place like Volare or Porcini, but for downhome Italian Food, it's hard to beat. Their Lobster Ravioli is :shock:
User

Luca B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

by Luca B » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:32 am

It is the same Difabio's as in Madisonville. The 2 daughters of the owners live in Louisville, one was a bartender at Varanese and the other was the chef at Intermezzo (actors theater). They are opening the restaurant as a family and I think shooting for March. I don't have much else but if I see them I will encourage them to post something here.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 pm

The menu and price point remind me of some of the great Italian restaurants on the Hill in St. Louis, with a lot of similar dishes to my favorite, LoRusso's Cucina. Pretty exciting.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I'll be damned...

Interesting!
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:The menu and price point remind me of some of the great Italian restaurants on the Hill in St. Louis, with a lot of similar dishes to my favorite, LoRusso's Cucina. Pretty exciting.

If it's going to be anything like Italian restaurants I've been to on the Hill in St. Louis, then bring on the toasted ravioli!!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Antonia L wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:The menu and price point remind me of some of the great Italian restaurants on the Hill in St. Louis, with a lot of similar dishes to my favorite, LoRusso's Cucina. Pretty exciting.

If it's going to be anything like Italian restaurants I've been to on the Hill in St. Louis, then bring on the toasted ravioli!!

Heh - T-RAVs. I ate a ton of those in law school. Almost every restaurant in the city serves some version, from the most upscale to dive bars.

Boombozz Taproom does a pretty good version of them - something's a little different from the STL style, but they're very good.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:51 pm

As a native St. Louisan, I didn't know that other cities didn't offer toasted ravioli and thin crust, provolone pizzas as common fare unitl I left the city. I also thought it was normal to have ma & pa Italian restaurants in great number.
James J. Natsis
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm

James Natsis wrote:

As a native St. Louisan, I didn't know that other cities didn't offer toasted ravioli and thin crust, provolone pizzas as common fare unitl I left the city. I also thought it was normal to have ma & pa Italian restaurants in great number.

Heh - well, I don't know where to get Imo's style pizza in Louisville, and I'm not looking. As a point of correction, the actual cheese is "Provel," which is a processed cheese, not provolone. Schmear that on cardboard, and viola, St. Louis pizza. I never really took to it. T-rav's, on the other hand, are a great creation.

A little background on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toasted_ravioli

The creation story I was always told when I lived there is the second one listed in the article - a chef at what is now Charlie Gitto's accidentially dropped ravioli into oil instead of water.
-Alton Brown
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:08 pm

I can't help but wonder if they're going to change the mean price point for this new venture. The current economic climate doesn't seem to be the best time to try to build a client base with prices in the high teens. I guess we'll just wait and see.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:14 pm

We had a farewell party at word for a co-worker from St. Louis who was moving back to MO. I bought frozen toasted ravioli from Target, and it was fairly decent! Though not as good as the others mentioned, I'm sure.
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:31 am

Luca B wrote:It is the same Difabio's as in Madisonville. The 2 daughters of the owners live in Louisville, one was a bartender at Varanese and the other was the chef at Intermezzo (actors theater). They are opening the restaurant as a family and I think shooting for March. I don't have much else but if I see them I will encourage them to post something here.

I go to school with the boyfriend of the new chef (who was the chef at Intermezzo), they are the same family and they are shooting for an opening in March.

I don't know much else, but I will encourage them to come here so they can provide more accurate information.
no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

by Sallie P. » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 am

Are you kin to Stuart Baldwin? I went to High School with him???

Adrian Baldwin wrote:I'm from Madisonville, and I highly doubt it's the same people

However, if it is, Louisville is in for a treat. They are an Italian family, and it's as authentic as you can get, and as good as any Italian I've had around here.

Not gonna get the 'flare' of a place like Volare or Porcini, but for downhome Italian Food, it's hard to beat. Their Lobster Ravioli is :shock:
Next