Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Truth in advertising

no avatar
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

by Joe C » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:03 pm

I have a policy not to eat any foodstuff that is labeled as "extruded"
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Joe C wrote:I have a policy not to eat any foodstuff that is labeled as "extruded"

No penne, macaroni or other short pasta, then? No frozen custard? Just askin' ...
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:42 am

Every time I have used it I found it has real trouble being heated.
It turns into some sort of non-descript slime.

The stuff works well in Imitation Crab Salad because it is served cold. Keyword Imitation.

Trying to use it in lump crab cakes would be a disaster.
Calling it crab is just plain wrong but it might surprise you as to how many people would not know the difference if you told them.

That has to be their thinking.
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Truth in advertising

by Gretchen D. » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 am

TP Lowe wrote:Similarly, I was at Costco looking at a huge tub of "lump crab meat" thinking about crab cakes, then I read the ingredients. Blech. I think it is painfully disingenuous the way some retailers label their products.

I have a large can of Phillips Lump Crab Meat purchased at Costco in the fridge, so I checked and the only ingredient is wild caught crab meat and one preservative to prevent crystallization. It is sold in the refrigerated cooler bins near the lunch meats. I have used it before in gumbo and been pleased. I'm not sure what you were looking at, but this product is in a black metal can (about $14 for one pound?). The company address is in Baltimore, not somewhere like Mexico, and if you weren't pleased with it, Costco would take it back. Also, I would fill out a comment cars at Costco about the product you almost purchased and ask them to remove it.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:38 am

I saw that same product at Costco, and it was after this thread had been posted, so I made a point to check. All I saw was the large black can, as well. It was just crabmeat, and a preservative of some kind.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:48 am

I have purchased lump crab meat at various stores around town (Kroger, Miejer's, Whole Foods) and itonly contained one ingredient: crab meat. I sometimes use the fake stuff for making sushi or in salads.
Previous