Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Truth in advertising

no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Truth in advertising

by carla griffin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:18 am

I don't get it... yesterday was the third time in about 4 or 5 weeks that I ordered something off a menu that contained crabmeat and it wasn't crab...it was that fake stuff which is awful. The price reflected real crab. When I remark about it to my server they just kind of shrug and tell me most people like it or can't tell the difference. This has happened in 3 different restaurants.
I know the product is used to help keep food costs down but not noting so on the menu is deceptive. I won't be back.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:25 am

Please tell us the names of these restaurants so that we don't have to learn this lesson the hard way.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Truth in advertising

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:45 am

carla griffin wrote:I don't get it... yesterday was the third time in about 4 or 5 weeks that I ordered something off a menu that contained crabmeat and it wasn't crab...it was that fake stuff which is awful. The price reflected real crab. When I remark about it to my server they just kind of shrug and tell me most people like it or can't tell the difference. This has happened in 3 different restaurants.
I know the product is used to help keep food costs down but not noting so on the menu is deceptive. I won't be back.

As Ron said, Carla, it would be entirely fair - and a service to the group - to name names.

As a generalization I'm going to say that it wouldn't surprise me to see surimi being used (and billed as "crab") in Chinese or Japanese restaurants, where the substitution seems to be so widely accepted that it's hard to brand it as improper practice even if we don't like it.

If it involves more "upscale" eateries, though, I'd definitely want to ask some questions about that.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:46 am

carla griffin wrote:I don't get it... yesterday was the third time in about 4 or 5 weeks that I ordered something off a menu that contained crabmeat and it wasn't crab...it was that fake stuff which is awful. The price reflected real crab. When I remark about it to my server they just kind of shrug and tell me most people like it or can't tell the difference. This has happened in 3 different restaurants.

Similarly, I was at Costco looking at a huge tub of "lump crab meat" thinking about crab cakes, then I read the ingredients. Blech. I think it is painfully disingenuous the way some retailers label their products.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

TP Lowe wrote:Similarly, I was at Costco looking at a huge tub of "lump crab meat" thinking about crab cakes, then I read the ingredients. Blech. I think it is painfully disingenuous the way some retailers label their products.

Okay, I'll bite (or maybe not). <i>What</i> else is in "lump crab meat" other than crab?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:Similarly, I was at Costco looking at a huge tub of "lump crab meat" thinking about crab cakes, then I read the ingredients. Blech. I think it is painfully disingenuous the way some retailers label their products.

Okay, I'll bite (or maybe not). <i>What</i> else is in "lump crab meat" other than crab?

I can't recall the exact word, but it consists of other types of fish (whitefish comes to mind) - fish parts, so to speak.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:12 am

TP Lowe wrote:I can't recall the exact word, but it consists of other types of fish (whitefish comes to mind) - fish parts, so to speak.

That doesn't sound delightful, or truthful ... but I have to admit, your original post had me prepared for something even worse ...
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:18 am

Unless the manufacturing has changed Surimi is traditionally made with extruded pollock (m-m-good :wink: ).
Although I am not fond of it and find the practice of labelling it as "lump crab" abhorrent, it seems to be very popular. I was going through a bookstore in San Francisco's Japantown and found at least 6 cookbooks just for Surimi. It really should be labeled correctly though- extruded pollock cakes- not a good thing.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:26 am

GaryF wrote:Unless the manufacturing has changed Surimi is traditionally made with extruded pollock (m-m-good :wink: ).

that's the word - thank you!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:20 pm

if it's labeled as "krab" or imitation crab, I have no problem with it. However, when a restaurant or store is selling "krab" as crab, and charging crab prices, then that's very, very shady, and I have a problem with that. Makes me wonder what any crab cakes I've had at a restaurant are made of.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:24 pm

True Story.

A few years ago, my husband and I were on this Sunday afternoon Harper's kick in the summer. We always sat outside and enjoyed the day.

My usual staple were their crab cakes. I truely LIKED their crab cakes. That was until the dreaded day that I never returned.....my crab cakes had fish skin in them.

After flagging down my server and making him get the plate out of my site, he asks if I wanted to speak to a manager. I did. The manager just shrugged and goes, "yeah, we were trying to use up some fish we'd gotten a few days ago for a special up. We must have missed some skin. Sorry."

That was it. GULP.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:05 am

"Crab"salad at Rumors was the most recent culprit. :(
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:15 pm

I've had fake crab in a crab quesadilla at Los Aztecas on Main St. I won't be ordering that again.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:50 pm

And that would be the other location.
Carla
no avatar
User

Becky LaTreque

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:04 pm

by Becky LaTreque » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:07 pm

that sounds beyond gross
Next