Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Gina-Schmitz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun May 20, 2007 12:28 am

Louisville

Pls suggest good ethnic take-out on Northeast side.

by Gina-Schmitz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm

Two weeks new to area - not a big chain family. Where can we get decent take-out on Northeast side? We live by the Summit Mall.

Thanks for your help!
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:53 pm

I live in your area and often get take out. Our favorite ethnic restaurants include Fuji Japanese Steakhouse (across from Tinsletown movie theater), Liangs cafe (chinese food in the same area), Great Wall (chinese-across from Summit near Kroger), Thai Cafe (Holiday Manor shopping center), Qdoba (mexican- at the Summit).
Hope this list helps.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:54 pm

Goose Creek Diner (on Goose Creek near Westport) has takeout as well as dine in. Their menu is typical diner food with a few specialties to brighten it up a little. They serve breakfast lunch and dinner.

Tony BoomBooz has salads, sandwiches and some unique pizzas, it's on Hurstborne just past Westport. They also have takeout as well as dine in and they serve lunch and dinner.

These are both locally owned places that have reasonably priced food.

Another place in the area is Tumbleweed, it's a chain but a small one and is based locally. It's a TexMex steakhouse cross but the food isn't bad and again the prices are reasonable. It's located in the plaza behind Home Depot on Westport.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:49 am

There isn't much that isn't a chain in that part of town, is there?

Brownsboro or Frankfort Ave. wouldn't be too far though and then you could get anything you wanted (except Greek, why doesn't Louisville have a good Greek place?)
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:55 am

Welcome Gina. Louisville is blessed with lots of great independently owned ethnic eateries. Many are located in areas that will be a bit of a trek for you, but well worth it.

I HIGHLY recommend Vietnam Kitchen, Havana Rumba, Santa Fe Grill, Luna Rosticerria, Mayan Cafe, Sala Thai, Saffron's,.

For slightly more upscale but very authentic cuisine, you should try Seviche for Nuevo Latino cuisine, and Palermo Viejo for Argentine dishes.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Mexican

by Eliza W » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 am

There's a Mexican place specializing in fish on Westport Rd., La Perla del Pacifico. It's not too far from you, and I'm sure they'd be happy to wrap something up.

There's an Asian grocery called Choi's in Lyndon. Although it's a bit of a drive, it's closer than St. Matthews and some of the places mentioned in town. I haven't eaten there, but the sign outside advertises noodles and take-out type food.

Spinelli's Pizza, also on Westport, should be opening soon.

You're really close to Norton Commons, where there's an extraordinary gelateria and an independently owned burger and sandwich type place called Karem's. I don't know if Karem's does take-out, but it would big, step up from all the chains over by the Summit if they do. Also for ice cream, there's a Graeter's across from the Summit.
no avatar
User

Gina-Schmitz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun May 20, 2007 12:28 am

Louisville

by Gina-Schmitz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:21 am

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!

We already have headed to NC for gelato - the pistachio is the best! Yummy!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Mexican

by GaryF » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 pm

Eliza W wrote:There's an Asian grocery called Choi's in Lyndon. Although it's a bit of a drive, it's closer than St. Matthews and some of the places mentioned in town. I haven't eaten there, but the sign outside advertises noodles and take-out type food.

I shop at Choi's quite often and can not recall any take out food.
It is a great place to shop though- the prices are very reasonable and everything is labeled in English.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

A few more places...

by Pam G » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Gina, welcome to the area. I live very close to the Summit also and have lived around that area most of my life

I don't think anyone suggested Mojitos at Holiday Manor. There are quite a few local Mexican restaurants like Los Aztecas in Prospect (very close via 265 or Springdale), Fiesta Time on Chamberlain Lane and our favorite El Nopol on the back side of Westport Plaza. India Palace is on Shelbyville Rd, just off of Hurstbourne. It is not in the neighborhood of the Summit, but easy to get to from that area.