Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Irish Rover

no avatar
User

Becky LaTreque

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Irish Rover

by Becky LaTreque » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:58 pm

We had a wonderful experience at the Irish Rover this afternoon! It was my daughter's birthday and we had a large group. Not only was the food wonderful but the service was exceptional. Our server brought my daughter a free Irish Rover T-shirt for her birthday and then offered to take a photo of our whole group. She was so friendly and wonderful with the children. She patiently separated our checks and we never wanted for refills even with 4 kids! I think her name was Cindy. She had really cute pig tails and dimples. Everyone should ask for her! We had the BEST time! My daughter's birthday was really special!
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:30 pm

Hat's off to Michael and Siobhan!
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:54 pm

The wife and I had an exceptional time at the Rover tonight, until the bill came...

We are fairly regular at the Rover and we have our favorites: two pints Guinness (one ea.), fish n' chips, cottage pie, coffee w/ Bailey's, and whatever excellent dessert strikes our fancy. We always have a wonderful time, the people are great; the atmosphere is warm and cozy. It is an ideal place for dinner on Frankfort Ave.

But tonight our meal ended on a sour note. The bill arrived and everything was in good order, but when my wife paid with her credit card (as we usually do) she was presented at the table with some manner of portable credit card machine and was asked to run her own credit card and complete the transaction herself. Fortunately, our server was helpful and instructed her on how to operate this contrivance. However, this was an unwelcome novelty in our dining experience.

Call me old fashioned, but when I go to a restaurant like the Rover, I expect service. That means showing me to my seat, getting my drinks, taking my order, bringing my food, refilling my drinks, clearing my table, and settling my bill. This new method of running credit cards smacks the very principle of service directly in the face. Up to that point, we felt like guests, but after that I began to wonder if I should expect a cut of the night's tips.

It has always been my philosophy that service should make the guest feel special and "served," like a guest. All guest-needs are handled by the staff. If this is a new trend in restaurant service, it is unwelcome and off-putting, especially in restaurants like the Rover which otherwise provide an exceptional experience.

When we return to the Rover (and I won't lie, it might take a while to want to go back) we will definitely pay with cash and hope like hell we aren't expected to make our own change. :(

Sorry Rover, we love you, but we greatly dislike your do-it-yourself credit card machine... :cry:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Jeffersonville

by Mike M » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:08 pm

Ronnie, I have not yet encountered this while dinning, but the holster credit card machines are in place as a added security measure to protect the customer, sounds like you really like The Rover otherwise, seems a little nit picky.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:17 pm

My boyfriend and I ate there last week and while the server brought the portable machine to the table, she still swiped the card. I actually thought it was kind of nice that we didn't have to wait for her to take the card, swipe it elsewhere, and then bring the receipt, since the portable thing had a printer on it. I can't say I would have minded terribly if I'd been asked to swipe it myself, though I can see why some people might. It would probably be better if they had the servers do it.
no avatar
User

Christopher Lamb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:44 pm

by Christopher Lamb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:26 pm

Ronnie, I initially had a similar response to this type of situation. However, the practice of using the portable unit at the table is actually quite common in European countries. My wife and I experienced this over and over again in 4 different countries this summer. This is, perhaps, one of those moments when we actually see the beginning of a shift in service. Something that was once looked upon with disdain becoming commonplace and, therefore, accepted. Such is life.
"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem."
- Col. Lewis "Chesty" Puller
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:44 pm

As mentioned, this is a common thing in Europe and was much preferred over the disappearing credit card bit we have here. My wife had her credit card number copied at a local chinese buffet last year (along with a large number of other patrons) which was sold to a group in NYC. I would welcome this method as yet another way to protect your identity and good credit rating. Bring it up to the LaGrange Rover, Michael.
no avatar
User

Ashley Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 pm

by Ashley Dunn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm

We went to the Rover last night with a party of 10, and that credit card machine was very helpful. Instead of our server having to grab ten different cards and run them one after the other, we were all doing it at once, on our own machines. This also allows the servers to give additional attention to other tables because they aren't tied up behind the bar running cards.

Another great feature- it displays three possible tip options and what the tip would be, so all you have to do is press a button and it adds your bill for you AND prints out the receipts at the table.

In addition, our server was beyond helpful, and the food was piping hot and delicious as always.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:58 pm

My favorites are the Scotch egg, the salmon and cheese au gratin. and the berry trifle!

I also love the outside patio, and the booth by the window in the back dining room is cute (thought it fits but two).
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Running the card at the table on a machine you control, rather than having your card disappear with a server is soooooo much more preferable, just from a security standpoint. I think its a brilliant move and we should expect to see most restaurants follow suit. I applaud them!
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:18 am

I would far prefer being able to manage my own credit card at any place of business rather than handing it over to a perfect stranger who disappears with it for awhile and then comes back for me to sign something. I'm hoping more Louisville restaurants will offer this service.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:23 am

I agree, I don't mind running my own card a bit. I do it at the grocery, the gas station, and most other places, so I'm happy to do it at a restaurant too.

The less my card leaves my hands the better!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:26 am

Leah s wrote:Running the card at the table on a machine you control, rather than having your card disappear with a server is soooooo much more preferable, just from a security standpoint. I think its a brilliant move and we should expect to see most restaurants follow suit. I applaud them!

Years ago, there was an excellent Dilbert strip on this point. The gang was out to lunch, and in the first panel, Dilbert was bloviating about the hazards of Internet security, "I would never use my credit card online, yada yada." As he was yakking, he handed the server his credit card.

In the last panel, she came back for his signature ... wearing a new fur coat.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:43 am

RonnieD wrote: The bill arrived and everything was in good order, but when my wife paid with her credit card (as we usually do) she was presented at the table with some manner of portable credit card machine and was asked to run her own credit card and complete the transaction herself.

This is how every restaurant in Europe operates. It is for your own safety so that your credit card never leaves your possession. In this age of identity theft and credit card fraud, this is a step that the Rover took at increased cost to them in order to protect their valued customers.

In Northern Kentucky a waiter at a restaurant was recently indicted for stealing the credit card numbers and identities of dozens of patrons. When he took their credit card back to the wait station to run it, he copied down the number, exp. date, and security code on the back.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 am

I applaud the Rover for moving to the portable CC machines. Hopefully more restaurants locally follow suit.