Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

Half Price Burgers and Boneless Wings!

by Brand M » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to inform everyone that we are running a couple of bar specials for the summer.

Tuesday is half price classic burger night until 1 A.M.Our 8 Oz. burger seasoned burger comes with chips.We also have ping pong on the patio after 10 P.M.Weekly drink specials change with what we have or make.This week is Pirate's Rum. Rum we infused with Rum,Ginger,and 1/10th handmade Orgeat syrup.We muddle a whole orange in a pint glass ,then add lime and ginger ale.It's definately off the beaten path.

Weds. we have half price handmade boneless wings * not pre-packaged* until 1 A.M. Including my very own beer tasting ,with all of the bottles that I bring from home. It keeps getting better and better. Last week we featured some *cough* home-made stuff , as well as some specialty imports and hard to find micro's. This week the heavy hitter is going to be Fantome Black Ghost and Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter. If you want any info on those beers, jump over to http://www.ratebeer.com. Virtually, every beer we carry is on special on weds. night,bottle and draft.Dogfish Head 90 min. IPA on draft is $ 5.00 all night and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is 4.50 for a pint.It is the last keg that of Chocolate Stout that I have or know of in KY until next winter.Any questions just shoot me a pm.
Last edited by Brand M on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Half Price Burgers and Boneless Wings!

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Brand McGowan wrote:Hey guys, I just wanted to inform everyone that we are running a couple of bar specials for the summer.

Brandon, you probably want to remind folks that "we" is CarlyRae's at First and Oak! :)
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:02 pm

Haha! Thanks Robin! I even proof read that post and I missed it.Sleep deprivation doesn't mix well with my ADD.Yeah, that would be very confusing to people. Appreciate it!

103 W. Oak St.
1st and Oak
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Menu pricing

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:11 pm

Brand,

Checked your menu because I've heard great things about your place and wanted to give you some feedback:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm uncomfortable with restaurants not publishing their pricing on their menu on their website (other than seasonal items) . As a customer, I like to scan the list to see what might appeal and get a general idea of what prices are before I go to some new place. Particularly if I'm going to drive all the way from the East End to Old Louisville (and I would) for dinner, not having prices on the menu might discourage me. I know it's a pain to keep prices updated sometimes, but it may be worth it.

Best of Luck,
Deb
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Menu pricing

by Steve Shade » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Brand,

Checked your menu because I've heard great things about your place and wanted to give you some feedback:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm uncomfortable with restaurants not publishing their pricing on their menu on their website (other than seasonal items) . As a customer, I like to scan the list to see what might appeal and get a general idea of what prices are before I go to some new place. Particularly if I'm going to drive all the way from the East End to Old Louisville (and I would) for dinner, not having prices on the menu might discourage me. I know it's a pain to keep prices updated sometimes, but it may be worth it.

Best of Luck,
Deb

I agree. As soon as I see a menu without prices, I delete.
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 pm

Hey Deb, thanks for the reply and constructive criticism. I, unfortunately don't have access to the website or deal with the food aspect of Carly Rae's. I agree with your hesitation about the lack of pricing on our website.I'll let Jeff know that it would be fruitful to have pricing attached to our menu.There are some really good deals on http://www.restaurant.com for Carly Raes that could save you a ton of money on your car insurance!

No seriously, I try a new place every week on Sunday or Monday, and most of the time I research them on the internet first .Menu's with the prices and the daily specials. We went to Rivue last week ,2 days after they opened. For the most part, because I saw the price changes on this forum. It was indeed a great experience that I would whole heartedly recommend to anyone. Anyways, back to the topic and matter at hand. In the meantime any items you want a price for I will list or try and photo copy. Just let me know.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Menu pricing

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:46 pm

Tell Jeff it's especially important for a reasonably priced place to have prices on the menu: lets us know that you are reasonably priced.

Looking forward to coming to check your place out,

Deb
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 am

It's counterintuitive, but the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has no chocolate. It's in the malt. Don't you guys get Rogue beers in the Commonwealth? The Rogue Chocolate Stout is abundant, and it isn't seasonal, either.

I SWEAR that I'll come visit soon.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Chocolate Malt

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm

Roger,

Okay, I'll bite: do you mean there is chocolate in the malt for that beer? HOw do you get chocolate into malt? I know very little about making beer, but I know a lot about making Bourbon, which of course also has malt, and now I'm intrigued.

Can you enlighten me?l

Deb
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Raw barley is made into barley malt suitable for brewing by means of a process called malting. Certain barley malts that emerge from the malting house are malted in such a manner as to exhibit flavors and aromas that are similar to chocolate, coffee and licorice, among others.

One could brew a big, black beer like Brooklyn's chocolate imperial stout and have flavors and aromas of chocolate that derive purely from the interplay between specific barley malts and yeast (less so hops) without actual chocolate being added, although having said that, I don't really taste that much chocolate flavor in the Brooklyn version, and seem to recall that the brewery chose the name more as a marketing tool. I may be wrong about the latter.

Rogue (Oregon), Young's (UK) and others add chocolate to the actual formulation, although you'd have to ask Brewmaster Pierce to comment on when it is done during the brewing process.

Hope that helps.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 pm

So how much do the burgers and wings cost? Just curious now that it was mentioned.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Chocolate Malt

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:40 pm

Roger,

Thanks for the explanation. (Now I don't have to continue trying to figure out how they inject chocolate into those little grains of barley....)

Deb
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:45 pm

Hey Mike, They are both 3.75 after 50% off discount. They are both half-pound portions.

Roger, I did not know that.I just figured Garrett used a trace amount of very dark chocolate.Explains alot about the beer.It is one of my absolute favorites.I ordered three half barrels about 2 months ago and I'm on the last one now.It was funny I took off Houblin Chouffe to add Black Chocolate.A week or two later I see your article about both beers in Louisville Dining *?*.I still have that beer for you when I see you.New Glarus Belgian Red.

Ahhh I just remembered..... how did you get Les Fourquets Brooklynette?!?! I missed it at gravity head by a couple of days.
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:02 pm

Oh by the way, Here is the line up I'm going to run tonight on the beer tasting.Starts at 10 and ends at 1. These are all truly rare beers.

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Yuengling Traditional Lager
New Glarus Unplugged -Enigma - Oak aged belgian Lambic
Olfabrikken Porter -Norwegian
Alesmith Numbskull -Barley Wine
Duck Rabbit - Baltic Porter
Fantome' Black Ghost -Belgian
no avatar
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Brand M » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:10 pm

Oh by the way, Here is the line up I'm going to run tonight on the beer tasting.Starts at 10 and ends at 1. These are all truly rare beers.

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Yuengling Traditional Lager
New Glarus Unplugged -Enigma - Oak aged belgian Lambic
Olfabrikken Porter -Norwegian
Alesmith Numbskull -Barley Wine
Duck Rabbit - Baltic Porter
Fantome' Black Ghost -Belgian

Sorry, if I posted twice.My browser at work is very screwy.
Next