Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Great Cheesecake!

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Great Cheesecake!

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 pm

I am a good baker myself and Rachel Colvin of Dolce was our pastry chef and she's incredibly talented, so I know my way around some great desserts. But my husband bought me my all-time favorite cheesecake for my birthday, and I had to share it with you:

It's the plain "New York" Cheesecake from Helen's- absolutely my best cheesecake ever, and I lived outside of Manhattan (read New Jersey) for 14 years so I've had A LOT of cheesecake. I'm not sure what she does to it, but it's incredibly dense and creamy at the same time (much more loose in the center than a traditional NY cheesecake). The thing must weigh 10 lbs! The flavor is incredible and pure cheesecake: no need or desire to put toppings on it. That and a nice glass of Bourbon (Evan Williams single barrel 10 year old) is my idea of Heaven.

Just a warning though: I only buy this cake whole. I tried a number of times buying it by the slice at the Helens in Prospect to get my fix and the slices are nowhere near as good as the whole cake sliced. Maybe they sit too long or something and maybe it's different at the Douglas Loop store...

Any way, it's really wonderful (But so much for the diet :( )
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Oh yum...Desserts by Helen. I used to work at Paul's fruit market, and they sold those cakes...they were to DIE for. Her caramel cake, and her chocolate cake, especially. So very rich and decadent.