Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

Louisville, KY

Suggestions for Birthday dinner?

by Kara Lewis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Hey, everybody -- My husband's birthday is Friday and I have been a bit remiss in planning anything. I think a special dinner is in order, but I'm so indecisive! So . . . as I am now able to post new topics since the forum move (yay), I thought I'd ask you guys.

My husband is not picky, loves lots of different types of food of all ethnicities, he's willing to try new things. He's not particularly enamoured of a super-pricy, super-fancy spot; he'd rather have a good local place with lots of character. A great beer list -- sans Bud Light -- is a must!

Help . . .
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Suggestions for Birthday dinner?

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Kara Lewis wrote:he'd rather have a good local place with lots of character. A great beer list -- sans Bud Light -- is a must!

So many choices! Where to start? If the beer is central, take him over to Rich O's/New Albanian Brewery in Southern Indiana for the region's finest beer selection by a long stretch, plus excellent pizza. Or Bluegrass Brewing Co., Cumberland Brews or Browning's in Louisville.

If you want something more upscale while remaining comfortable and at least midrange in price, L&N Wine Bar is mainly known for its remarkable wine list, but they do beer and other drinks very well, too.

Or take him to Palermo Viejo for an excellent steak, and enjoy some cold Argentine Quilmes beer or a glass of fine Argentine Malbec wine. Yummo ...
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kara Lewis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, I keep going back to the thought of Rich O's. I think that's where I took him last year! The only problem is we always get too full to sample more beers . . . darn nutritional needs.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 pm

All of these are casual spots with great food:

Baxter Station (great beer list)
L&N Wine Bar
Seviche
Palermo Viejo
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 pm

All of these are casual spots with great food:

Baxter Station (great beer list)
L&N Wine Bar
Seviche
Palermo Viejo
User

Bayard Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:54 am

Louisville, KY

by Bayard Donaldson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:50 pm

My four suggestions would be: Palermo Viejo, Havana Rumba, Bistro New Albany, and Nios. I know the latter 2 have a good beer selection, but I just can't remember the lists of the first two. Sorry about four, you're not the only indecisive one. :roll:
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi Kara! We are upscale casual and indeed have a world class beer list (NABC/Upland/etc.). We would be more than happy to have you here. Thanks!-Dave
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

by Jennie Mulhall » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:02 pm

My first post!
Long time reader--first time poster!
I second Havana Rumba--I love their grilled grouper!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Jennie Mulhall wrote:My first post!
Long time reader--first time poster!

Welcome, Jennie! Glad you broke the ice, and I hope you won't be a stranger now that you've moved out of lurk mode. :)
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Probably not your first choice for a birthday dinner, but for beer lovers......

Flannigan's Ale House has a nice beer sampler special that I spotted for the first time last week. For $5 you can sample any five beers out of those they have on tap. The sample glasses were pretty generous. I'm guessing about 4 ounces each.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:44 pm

May I suggest Westport General Store? We have a lot of character, great food and while our beer list will never be as exhaustively researched and pains takenly selected as Rich O’s, we do carry all of the BBC beers along with my personal favorite Falls City.

Did I mention the great food? We have a private room if you want to brig some friends.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kara Lewis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:56 pm

Wow, I stepped away from my desk for the afternoon, and look at all the great suggestions!

You guys have good taste . . . maybe I should consider a progressive dinner?

I've actually been wanting to try Westport General Store forever, so I think that's the direction I'm leaning -- of course, I'll have to check the previous thread regarding directions . . .

The good news is my own birthday is coming up soon, so two birthday dinners in one month!
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Rich-O's you can never go worng with that. I had fun birthday two years ago there full of pizza and root beer.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Nice Willie!I love BBC too........

by David Clancy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Will Crawford wrote:May I suggest Westport General Store? We have a lot of character, great food and while our beer list will never be as exhaustively researched and pains takenly selected as Rich O’s, we do carry all of the BBC beers along with my personal favorite Falls City.

Did I mention the great food? We have a private room if you want to brig some friends.
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Directions to westport

by Will Crawford » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:54 am

Kara,
What ever you do- do not use mapquest. Scenic: To get to Westport General Store from Louisville take the scenic US Highway 42 (Brownboro Rd.) From the Thortons staion in Prospect go 12 miles. Turn Left onto KY-524 and continue for about 3 miles. The Westport General Store is on the right.
502 222 4626[/img]
Will Crawford
Next