Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Going to Atlanta

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Going to Atlanta

by Kris Billiter » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:24 am

At the end of the month, my wife and I are heading to Atlanta for 4 days. We Any recommendations on places we have to eat. BTW, we are taking our 8 month old, so "fine" dining is probably out of the question. We are just looking for some good places to eat. The only other thing we need is info on how to "accidentaly" run into Alton Brown, and it will be the perfect trip :D Thanks for any suggestions!

Kris
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:33 am

What part of Atlanta are you going to? Depending on the area will definitely have an affect on where you go to eat.

My brother lives north of Atlanta (Roswell/Alpharetta) so we don't go out to eat much down there (we opt for the family meals and lots of talk time).

Fun places to go ... Underground Atlanta .. lots of fun shops. Right across from that (if memory serves me .. ) is World of Coca-Cola. I have only been there once but it was fun.

Atlanta Botanical Gardens ... it is beautiful in the spring ... tulips everywhere. They also have a children's area with playsets.

Atlanta Zoo is fun too.

And if you like the outdoors and want to climb .. go to Stone Mountain.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:38 am

User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:47 am

I remember going to The Varsity!! It is fun!! Gosh .. I haven't been there in over 20 years!!!! When my sister first moved down to Atlanta in 1982 (or early 83), her then husband took us the The Varsity and to Lenox Square. At the time, Lenox was one of the largest malls.

Thanks for the memory!
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:49 am

we are staying in Tucker, which is in northeast Atlanta. Our hotel is about 6 miles from Stone Mountain, and 12 miles from down town. I've been to ATL twice and have yet to eat at the Varsity, so I probably need to go there. Thanks guys!

kris
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:55 pm

I grew up out in Gwinnett County (very near to Tucker and Stone Mountain), got married in Roswell, and still have family all over the metro area. There are SO many dining options in the city!

Do you have any food preferences (or avoidances)? How far are you willing to drive?

Down in the Virginia Highlands part of the city, I sent my parents to Vine Restaurant for their 30th anniversary, and they adored the experience. Charming and romantic without being unreasonably expensive, and they've won lots of local awards. But you can pretty much throw a rock in that part of town and hit a fun place to eat.

Friends always loved Mary Mac's Tea Room for good old Southern food and tasty breakfasts. My rehearsal dinner was at Fratelli di Napoli in Roswell, and everyone really enjoyed gorging themselves on the Italian feast and luscious desserts.

Tucker/Stone Mountain's got a lot of chains, being fairly suburban, but there are exceptions too.

For a quick overview:
Tucker listings

Stone Mountain listings

I remember a cute little German place in the Stone Mountain area ... it might be this one, but you'd need to call to confirm the location (it could easily have closed or changed in the years since I visited):

German Restaurant
6655 James B Rivers Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083
Tel: (770) 498-0329

For what it's worth, I never understood the appeal of The Varsity. I remember it being pricey, greasy, not especially good food, but lots of folks disagree with me. When I lived there, my friends and I would hit a Waffle House with the locals when in the mood for greasy diner fare.

I'll keep thinking and poll the family that still lives there to see if anyone has any other suggestions.
no avatar
User

Perry Parrent

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Bardstown, KY

Atlanta

by Perry Parrent » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:35 pm

If you have the time, Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle is worth the drive. It is out I20 East.
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 am

Suggestions from area residents:

Bambinelli's Italian Restaurant
3202 Northlake Parkway NE
Phone: 770-493-1311

Fondly remembered in my family as some of the best pizza in town.

And courtesy of my aunt:
In Tucker there are few "good" restaurants.

But, there is a good Mexican place -- Los Hermanos, family run, not huge, definitely not the genre of pick number 5 with no substitutions..... Seafood enchiladas are to die for, the dulche leches cake, ditto..... Different specials every night, priced moderately, serves beer and wine. Located in a shopping center on Hugh Howell Road.

In the same shopping center is Jan's Bistro, this can be hit or miss, but this tiny spot (ten tables at the most) offers kind of an eclectic mix or southern fare. Moderately priced.

Northlake Thai is on LaVista, inside the Perimeter. Pricey, but folks say the Thai is good.

In Northlake Mall there is Crescent Moon, funky fare. Good, filling, brightly lit and okay for dinner or lunch.
Last edited by Laura SS on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Going to Atlanta

by Gretchen D. » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 am

Altlanta has a Pappasitos Cantina which is Tex/Mex. They originated in Houston, where I grew up, and they have great fajitas and fantastic salsa! The restaurants are all still family owned & operated. It is very family friendly and if I were going to Atlanta, I would definitely eat there!