Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Suggestions for B-day Dinner?

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Folks,

It's my birthday tommorrow night (not telling how old), and I'm looking for sage suggestions on where to have dinner to celebrate from my fellow foodies. Here's what what my heart desires; hoping you'll give it your best:

Relatively new- within the past two years- (with the store we hadn't been able to go anywhere for a long time, so it'll most likely be "new" to us )

Obviously GREAT food

Great atmosphere, maybe Romantic... :)

Mid-priced (think Porcinis/North End, not Proof)

Outdoor eating if possible would be superb

Thanks for all suggestions,

Deb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

outdoor romantic

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Not necessarily the best around, but if you're up for outside, mid-priced, and romantic, how about:

1. Old Stone Inn . . . check to be sure serving outside, but nice

2. Captain's Quarters . . . can be louder (with band) and many would not consider it so, but with sun setting overlooking the river, with a drink, and with decent food, not bad!

There are tons of others - from Avalon to L&N to whatever - that are outside, but above can be slightly different!

(and - for a really strange choice where you bring your own - how about Simply Thai?)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:45 pm

You can eat at Proof for the same amount or less than Porcinis and North End.

That being said, how about . . .

Basa
Volare
Seviche
Primo
L&N
Palermo
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Had our anniversary at Seviche. Yum. It's going to be awfully warm tomorrow! A place that doesn't get mentioned a lot is the Grape Leaf. They have a really nice outdoor area. We were there last week and it was yummy, service was excellent. They don't have alcohol, though...not sure if you can BYOB....anyone?
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

more ideas?

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Great suggestions: keep them coming... :D

Please note my first priority was something "New", as we've pretty much missed anything that's opened in the past two years. We've been to everyplace on Ron's list except Basa, (and love them all), and we are in the mood for something new/different (particularly since we won't be going out much for a while... :( )

Interesting comment on Proof's pricing, Ron. Is that really the case? I thought they were way up there...

Deb
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 pm

I go to Ferd Grisanti's every year for my birthday. Great food, excellent service, Tiramisu...need I say more? ;)
no avatar
User

Brien Abt

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 01, 2007 9:46 am

Jeffersonville

by Brien Abt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:46 pm

I went to Seviche for my birthday and had a blast!! The food was top notch.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: Suggestions for B-day Dinner?

by David Clancy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Folks,

It's my birthday tommorrow night (not telling how old), and I'm looking for sage suggestions on where to have dinner to celebrate from my fellow foodies. Here's what what my heart desires; hoping you'll give it your best:

Relatively new- within the past two years- (with the store we hadn't been able to go anywhere for a long time, so it'll most likely be "new" to us )

Obviously GREAT food

Great atmosphere, maybe Romantic... :)

Mid-priced (think Porcinis/North End, not Proof)

Outdoor eating if possible would be superb

Thanks for all suggestions,

Deb
Hi Deb!-We have a groovy patio and cool food too! We are 10 minutes from downtown and would love to have you!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:02 pm

First & foremost Happy Birthday!

I would suggest a lovely drive out U.S. 42 to Westport General Store and then a stroll down to Westport Park to watch the sunset over the river.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

outdoors

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Basa doesn't have a patio yet (tho it's WONDERFUL), but Mojito's does . . . why not try it? Get there fairly late, and you won't have the huge lines - and being outdoors will be fun rather than smelling the Holiday Manor traffic.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Mojitos

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:47 pm

Andrew,

I'd been thinking about Mojitos- both because of the buzz and because it sounds like fun. Do you know if they take reservations of any kind?

Any body know how bad the lines ARE now (we've been out of town for a week)?

Deb
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

Mayan Cafe

by johnlannon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:49 pm

I believe the new Mayan Cafe has received mixed responses on this forum, but I would cast my vote in their direction:

My wife and I dined there last night in their quaint, but attractive and comfortable courtyard. The service was professional and attentive (but not overzealous like some unnamed, newer, pricier places located within Main Street boutique hotels). The server even allowed us to taste several wines before deciding on a bottle. With appetizers, entrees, (Jackson's Oranic) coffee, chocolate soufle and a perfectly charming bottle of Torrontes, the total came to just under $80.

I believe some have commented that the quality has fallen off since Gypsy closed. In my several visits to the Cafe, the quality has matched that of the old location. Even on a slow Tuesday night, the kitchen was firing on all cylinders. The purple-black "forbidden rice", prepared risotto style, was a visually stunning and delicious flourish. Ask for it if/when you go.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:15 pm

Have you considered Bistro New Albany? Their patio is lovely, and quite romantic in the evening, I'm sure. I've only been for brunch, but the service and food were wonderful and the atmosphere charming.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Was Bourbon's Bistro on the list? They have a patio. And I'll second Basa even through there's no patio. Have you been to Cafe Emilie since the new chef arrived? Or Captain's Quarter's? Not a new place, certainly, but a new chef and menu.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:10 pm

Bistro, New Albany.
Next