Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sahara Restaurant

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Sahara Restaurant

by James Natsis » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:17 am

Greetings to all of you. I have been following the food scene in Louisville for quite some time and finally decided to jump in on the conversation.

I recently visited a new Middle East restaurant on Lexington located in a new building near Lotsa Pasta. It is called Sahara. I saw an ad in the LEO and decided to check it out. They have only been open for a little more than 2 weeks. They need a bit of tweeking still but they have a good menu. The owner is originally from Iran but has been in the US for many years now. She was very friendly and made many efforts to make my experience enjoyable. It is good to see another Middle Eastern restaurant in the area.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 am

I have seen this place. I looked like it was next to the edible something or other. I will have to try it out.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: Sahara Restaurant

by MarieP » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:06 pm

James Natsis wrote:Greetings to all of you. I have been following the food scene in Louisville for quite some time and finally decided to jump in on the conversation.

I recently visited a new Middle East restaurant on Lexington located in a new building near Lotsa Pasta. It is called Sahara. I saw an ad in the LEO and decided to check it out. They have only been open for a little more than 2 weeks. They need a bit of tweeking still but they have a good menu. The owner is originally from Iran but has been in the US for many years now. She was very friendly and made many efforts to make my experience enjoyable. It is good to see another Middle Eastern restaurant in the area.

I was about to write up soething for the board. Went there yesterday with my mom, and we shared a sampler plate for two (quite filling) that had chicken schwarma, stuffed grape leaves, falafel, beef patties, and pita bread. We both thought the schwarma was the best part of it. It was very savory! I would have liked to have a better meat to rice ratio though, as we ran out of meat before rice. It was served on a large pita round. The falafel and beef patties both were nice and crisp on the outside. The stuffed grape leave were good, but I like the moister ones they have down a few doors at Lotsa Pasta.

The baklava was homeade and tasty. The dessert of the day (of which the name was unknown when I asked) had a nutty/anise flavor. that was not moist like most Middle Eastern pastries.

I prefer Grape Leaf or the Lebanese plate at Kayrouz Cafe on Fridays, but I would probably go back for the chicken schwarma. Their store is also interesting to browse through while waiting for your meal.