Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: Starlight Frozen Custard Closed

by Brian Curl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:01 pm

You can get your frozen custard fix at Culver's on S. Hurstbourne, also one in S Indiana and maybe a new one on Preston but not sure. I'm not sure about the 4% egg yolk mentioned but they are based out of Wisconsin. I think their custard is great, just as good as Starlight and less expensive. They have food and it's pretty avg in my opinion. One other tip, you can get larger quantities to go at Culver's, 2 quarts for like 7 or 8 bucks. It does fine in the fridge if you let it sit out for a while from the freezer before eating.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:29 pm

Brian Curl wrote:You can get your frozen custard fix at Culver's on S. Hurstbourne, also one in S Indiana and maybe a new one on Preston but not sure. I'm not sure about the 4% egg yolk mentioned but they are based out of Wisconsin. I think their custard is great, just as good as Starlight and less expensive. They have food and it's pretty avg in my opinion. One other tip, you can get larger quantities to go at Culver's, 2 quarts for like 7 or 8 bucks. It does fine in the fridge if you let it sit out for a while from the freezer before eating.

They make a mighty tasty burger.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 am

I like Culver's salads and soups. Some of the sandwiches are a little different ... pot roast sandwich, sour dough turkey BLT, etc. I've never tried it, but I've heard people rave about their fried chicken. The frozen custard, however, is EXCELLENT. If you get a chance, run by there and try their pumpkin spice shake! (Available for a limited time only.)

From their website at www.culvers.com:

"To be called frozen custard, a product
must contain a minimum of 10 percent
butterfat content. Culver’s vanilla formula
contains 13 percent butterfat, and the
chocolate contains 10 percent butterfat."
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:43 am

Nothing wrong with Culvers. LOVE their custard!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:39 pm

I was wrong before - it used to be 4% in Ohio, but now federal law is 10% butterfat and 1.4% egg yolk solids minimum nationwide (though if fresh fruit or nuts are added, this can be reduced to 1.2%). Doesn't sound like much, but that much egg gives a definitely different flavor, and allows for serving at higher temperatures (26 degrees is optimal) and provides a smoother dense consistency. From what I remember, Starlight was closer to 4% than the 1.4% minimum.

While it can be taken home and frozen, as indicated earlier it should be removed fm freezer to warm up before eating (we always ate it the same day, so didn't worry!).
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 pm

I like Culvers, decent stuff.

Now, if there were only more Gelato places in Louisville. THEN, I would be a happier man.

http://germanfood.about.com/od/desserts/r/spaghettieis.htm

Make this with Gelato and :D . You're good to go.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:55 pm

JustinHammond wrote:I think it could of made it if they served more than ice cream. Some standard drive-in food would have been nice; a good burger, onion rings, and a shake.

They said they were going to try this at one point, but I never saw it come to fruition. And yes, I will miss them too! I really liked the peanut butter lustre and the casanova.

What kind of root beer did they have? Sprecher's I think (seem to remember a thread on that...) But I agree with Heather! BBC has excellent root beer!
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 pm

Got some gelato at Kroger, private selection brand. $3.99 and pretty good. 31oz
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:25 am

andrew mellman wrote:I was wrong before - it used to be 4% in Ohio, but now federal law is 10% butterfat and 1.4% egg yolk solids minimum nationwide (though if fresh fruit or nuts are added, this can be reduced to 1.2%). Doesn't sound like much, but that much egg gives a definitely different flavor, and allows for serving at higher temperatures (26 degrees is optimal) and provides a smoother dense consistency. From what I remember, Starlight was closer to 4% than the 1.4% minimum.

While it can be taken home and frozen, as indicated earlier it should be removed fm freezer to warm up before eating (we always ate it the same day, so didn't worry!).

Agreed wholeheartly....the more egg the better. When I was in San Francisco a few years ago, ran into a place on Fisherman's Warf called the Custard Factory....OH MY GOD. I'm glad I didn't have to go and get blood work after I got back home.....my doctor would have had a stroke. They had a Strawberry custard that was the BOMB! If I remember correctly, it was 4% egg yolk.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Casandra C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

by Casandra C » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Noooo!

I loved their custard. Admittedly, their customer service, cash-only policy, gigantic servings and other flaws that have been mentioned here were annoying (we always just split a concrete--- even the low fat custard was great!) I really loved their tasty product.

I'm not in Louisville anymore but I was hoping to visit Starlight on my next visit... I love their huge ice cream cone sign... I know the guy who made it. :(
"We can't have people running around eating pie and eggs for breakfast--- it's not on the menu."- WB
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highview

by Kyle L » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks, I've tried it. It's not bad, but would love the fresh stuff.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Kyle L wrote:

Thanks, I've tried it. It's not bad, but would love the fresh stuff.

http://www.gelatogilberto.com/index.htm
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:54 am

I'm aware of the few places around here that sell it; I'd just like there to be more of them; that's all.
Previous