Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Allison Williams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 am

Highlands

A Review for Rivue Anyone?

by Allison Williams » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Im a little confused. I thought Rivue (Former Flagship Location) at the Galt had already opened and I just hadn't gotten around to checking it out but someone told me that tonight was their grand opening. Has anyone been or planning on going soon?
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." ~Leonardo da Vinci
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A Review for Rivue Anyone?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Allison Williams wrote:Im a little confused. I thought Rivue (Former Flagship Location) at the Galt had already opened and I just hadn't gotten around to checking it out but someone told me that tonight was their grand opening. Has anyone been or planning on going soon?

It does open today. They had a Rivue Privue, er, preview the other night, but I passed in order to hold my anonymity. One of our LEO bloggers went, though, and we'll have a report in <i>next</i> week's LEO.

I did get my hands on the menu and wine list, and can report that it's going to be very pricey, with a sort of "Tuscan" menu (surprise!) and a high wine markup.

The look and feel of the place apparently sizzles ... very upscale, edgy, New Yorky look, plus the stunning building-top view. Absolutely no vestiges remain of the old, fustian Flagship Room ... it's all new and hot. I'll reserve judgement on the food, but the samples passed around at the preview passed muster with our reviewer.
no avatar
User

Allison Williams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Allison Williams » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:49 pm

Thanks Robin! Looking forward to the report. :P
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." ~Leonardo da Vinci
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Funny, because I was just looking them up this morning. I must've heard something on the radio, but here is their website with the menu. Definitely pricey. Anxious to hear the review to see if it migth be worth it. http://rivue.com/
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:55 pm

We called today and just so happened to speak with the GM, he said the menu pricing was incorrect and will be lower than what is listed on the web, in the $18-$32 range.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:18 pm

Good for the GH for attempting it. The bar is beautiful, but last time I was there the ceiling was leaking in several places and when the sun set, it was so dark that you couldn't see two feet in front of you. Nobody knew anything about turning up the lights in there. In addition, they still get reviews posted on travel boards that say the rooms are furnished in 60's style furniture. In other words, some parts have been renovated and some haven't? I'm just curious....have they finished the hotel and would you recommend it to visitors?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Rivue Press Release

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:31 pm

This is hot off the wires, just in about 30 second ago. Note that it's a press release from the Galt House's publicity agency, which curiously enough is located in Cincinnati. Take that, Louisville Originals ...

Good evening,

Tonight, RIVUE restaurant and lounge will serve its first customers for dinner. RIVUE brings a sophisticated dining experience to new heights in Louisville with breath-taking views, a swanky room and contemporary cuisine featuring seafood and steak. The new rooftop restaurant along with a lounge is located on the 25th floor of the Galt House Hotel (West Tower), 140 North Fourth Street, downtown Louisville.

Featuring an ultra-modern décor and the world’s only twin revolving floor, RIVUE offers guests the best view in the city, with panoramic vistas of downtown Louisville and the waterfront.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Here's the dinner menu ... revised?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:42 pm

This appears to be just a little shorter and a few dollars less than the one on the Website. It's still fairly pricey - but the 7-ounce fillet with fresh potato gnocchi and Roma tomato confit finished with a sage beurre blanc has dropped from $37.95 to $34, for example.

DINNER MENU

CRAB CAKES
Fresh Dungeness crabmeat with smoked Spanish paprika aioli and basil oil. 11

DIVER SCALLOPS
Three pan seared scallops with purees of roasted red bell pepper, golden
bell pepper and asparagus. 12

CARPACCIO
Paper thin slices of rare beef drizzled with white truffle oil, accompanied by a
fennel citrus salad and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. 12

CHARCUTERIE PLATTER
Duck liver mousse, pate a la maison, white cheddar pecan cheese, seafood sausage and Kentucky chow-chow, Serves two. 15

BRUSCHETTA
Walnut crusted French bread with Gorgonzola dolce, fig jam and baby pears
poached in port. 8

JUMBO SHRIMP MARTINI
Chilled shrimp with house made cocktail salsa and horseradish cream. 13

S O U P S

OYSTER STEW
A low country classic topped with toasted benne seeds. 7

ASPARAGUS BISQUE
Served with Dungeness crab and lobster slaw. 8

S A L A D S

BIBB SALAD
Locally grown Bibb lettuce with crispy Kentucky country ham, fresh melon and
grilled asparagus tossed in a sour mash vinaigrette. 7

ROMAINE SALAD
Lightly grilled Romaine lettuce with white beans, roasted vegetables and a Dijon
Vinaigrette served with a Parmesan crisp. 7

GREEK SALAD
Baby iceberg lettuce, hearts of palm, tear drop tomatoes,
kalamata olives and a feta cheese with a creamy cucumber dill vinaigrette. 8

RIVUE SALAD
Vine ripened tomato filled with Capriole Farm's goat cheese and golden raisins
gently roasted, finished with basil oil and daikon micro greens. 9

E N T R E E S

FILET
Grilled seven ounce filet of Black Angus beef with fresh potato gnocchi and
Roma tomato confit with a sage beurre blanc. 34

NEWYORK STRIP
A sixteen ounce center cut strip steak with garlic-herb butter and truffle fries. 33

SHRIMP LINGUINE
Jumbo shrimp sautéed with garlic, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts,
arugula, pancetta and linguine. 24

BAKED CHICKEN
Boneless breast of chicken filled with porcini mushrooms, Boursin cheese
and red grapes with a Merlot reduction. 18

SEA BASS
Sautéed fillet of Sea Bass marinated in orange juice and soy sauce
accompanied by a stir fry of fresh vegetables. 31

PORK SCALOPPINE
Sautéed medallions of pork, angel hair pasta, shiitakes and stone ground Dijon cream sauce. 22

PORTABELLA NAPOLEON
Layers of roasted tomatoes, spinach and fresh buffalo mozzarella
with a Balsamic reduction. 21

LAMB SHANKS
Slowly braised in white wine with lemon and anchovies served on infused risotto. 26

MOZZARELLA CHICKEN
Boneless breast of chicken, smoked mozzarella and arugula wrapped in Kentucky
country ham with a red eye gravy demi-glace. 20

SEAFOOD MEDLEY
Sautéed scallops, lobster, Dungeness crabmeat and jumbo shrimp in a dry sherry infused Thermidor cream sauce on a bed of sun-dried tomato and squid ink angel hair pasta. 29

GRILLED CHICKEN PENNE
Slices of grilled chicken, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, and buffalo
mozzarella with a roasted tomato (cuts off here)
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 am

Just read the wine list and in addition to being full of misspellings, it was BORING BORING BORING!

The pics of the place look great though...
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:07 am

Boring wine list=wine list written by sales reps.

I am a little surprised that the Galt House went this route when at that price point it seems like it will be in direct competition with the other restaurant on the premises: Jeff Ruby's.

Maybe the difference will be that O.J. is welcome to dine at Rivue.

What a weird name too . . .
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:18 am

Rivue...get it? River, View?

(I didn't figure this out myself of course, gotta credit Allison)
no avatar
User

Allison Williams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Allison Williams » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:32 am

Jeremy Johnson wrote
Rivue...get it? River, View?

a cleverish name, indeed :lol:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

pricing

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:50 pm

Remember the venue . . . a convention hotel can have several very expensive restaurants, as convention-goers are likely to be willing to pay the tab for lower quality food than locals would pay

(but hoping the food quality is up there with the price)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 am

:) Does the Server, Carl, still work there? I haven't seen him since my wedding 9 years ago. He was a good friend but drifted away as friends often do. Barb T
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:56 am

Yes, Carl the server is still there. :D
Next