Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

Entertainment Book and other coupons

by Jessica Devine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:39 pm

This past Tuesday evening, some friends and I decided to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant. My boyfriend/family and I usually eat there once or twice a month. The service is so so, but the food makes up for it. So anyway, we decided to eat there because I had coupon, not from an entertainment book, but something similar that my mom bought for a fundraiser. The coupon said "By one combination meal 1-16 and get another combination meal 1-16 free." So two of us decided to be on the same check and each get a combination meal. It happened to be 99cent beer night so she had two beers and I had a strawberry dacquiri. When it was time for the check, the server seemed confused about not being able to apply the coupon towards alcohol which I understood so I explained that she could just put the alcohol on a different check and apply the coupon to food only. She checked with someone (I figured the mgr.) and then returned with two different checks and said that the coupon would be applied to the food check at the register. When we went to pay, the owner, I think, said that we couldn't use the coupon. He said that we were only allowed one discount per meal. Apparently, the 99cent beer special counted as our one discount. I stated that it was their special for the day. The next thing I knew, he suddenly didn't speak English anymore. So, we said just charge us full price for the alcohol ($1.99) and let us use the coupon. He did. Of course, I had to get my last jab in there--I said, "So let me get this straight so I'll know for the future--it doesn't matter what the coupon says, all that matters is what you feel like doing." He threw his hands up in the air and shrugged.

Let me just say that I won't be going back. Does that sound weird to anyone else? He was willing to risk losing business over a couple of dollars.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Entertainment Book and other coupons

by Steve Shade » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:This past Tuesday evening, some friends and I decided to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant. My boyfriend/family and I usually eat there once or twice a month. The service is so so, but the food makes up for it. So anyway, we decided to eat there because I had coupon, not from an entertainment book, but something similar that my mom bought for a fundraiser. The coupon said "By one combination meal 1-16 and get another combination meal 1-16 free." So two of us decided to be on the same check and each get a combination meal. It happened to be 99cent beer night so she had two beers and I had a strawberry dacquiri. When it was time for the check, the server seemed confused about not being able to apply the coupon towards alcohol which I understood so I explained that she could just put the alcohol on a different check and apply the coupon to food only. She checked with someone (I figured the mgr.) and then returned with two different checks and said that the coupon would be applied to the food check at the register. When we went to pay, the owner, I think, said that we couldn't use the coupon. He said that we were only allowed one discount per meal. Apparently, the 99cent beer special counted as our one discount. I stated that it was their special for the day. The next thing I knew, he suddenly didn't speak English anymore. So, we said just charge us full price for the alcohol ($1.99) and let us use the coupon. He did. Of course, I had to get my last jab in there--I said, "So let me get this straight so I'll know for the future--it doesn't matter what the coupon says, all that matters is what you feel like doing." He threw his hands up in the air and shrugged.

Let me just say that I won't be going back. Does that sound weird to anyone else? He was willing to risk losing business over a couple of dollars.

I have used this type of coupons in the past and never had any problem.

I think it is only reasonable that you identify the place you went to that gave you this kind of grief. Certainly they were wrong.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:49 pm

I agree.

It seems like people are reluctant to disclose the restaurant name anymore. So we're left to guess.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Oh I'll certainly tell you what restaurant it was. I was only reluctant because it seems that a lot of people disagree about whether or not to name names on here lately.

Sol Azteca's across from the Highlands Kroger
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:19 pm

Tina M wrote:It seems like people are reluctant to disclose the restaurant name anymore. So we're left to guess.

Just for the record, as forum host, I have no objection to participants naming names in cases like this.

Naturally it's best when we present it fairly and without anger or insults, but certainly Jessica's post had no problems at all in that regard.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:Oh I'll certainly tell you what restaurant it was. I was only reluctant because it seems that a lot of people disagree about whether or not to name names on here lately.

Since I saw your location was in the HIghlands, I guessed correctly. :)

That is a weird experience.

eta: I mean the OP, not that I guessed correctly.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:Oh I'll certainly tell you what restaurant it was. I was only reluctant because it seems that a lot of people disagree about whether or not to name names on here lately.

Without naming the restaurant, the post is kind of useless. I don't know if the owner reads this, but he is involved with the ownership of the Los Aztecs places. We go to the one in J-town often. Live close. Not possible to get better service.

By naming the place there is a chance that he will see it and take corrective action. At the very least other people will see this and understand there might be a problem.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:02 pm

I completely agree with you, but I'd rather give too little information initially rather than tick someone off from the get go. That's why I was more than happy to name the restaurant when asked.

I must say though..they make some delicious enchiladas...
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:32 am

I can see a situation like this happening if the person at the checkout - most likely NOT the owner, otherwise he wouldn't have wanted to print the coupon in the first place - viewed you as a coupon clipper not intending to return for a real turn of profit, but as a repeat guest, I know how familiar faces stick after a time or two of patronage. They must have had some other agenda, Jessica, did you offend them? Just kidding, it's Jackie from the past, and I'm sure you didn't offend, but he or she does sound a touch "touched". Policies like that don't really exist, and if a person of the merchant thinks it is so, should always do his/her best to break the rule.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:56 am

If by offending them, you mean eating there repeatedly, then yes, I must have offended them. All jokes aside, I think he just saw an opportunity to take advantage of his position...
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:10 pm

The problem with the Entertainment Book is that they have been known to keep restaurants no longer in business in their books. Also, recently they've been putting a whole lot more Indiana and non-Louisville items in there, and the fine dining section is quite lacking. It used to be much better. But if you think you would use it (most are for buy one get one free) it still is a good deal. They also have non-restaurant related items in there, such as flowers, movies, sports, and museums.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:30 pm

To be fair, the coupons for Sol Azteca which I have seen do say "Not valid with any other offer." I think that is a flimsy way for allowing the denial of use of a coupon. It is also the reason I have not been in to try and use a coupon there, because you might not know what other offer you are already receiving!

I have had a similar problem at another nearby local establishment with friends, and like you, have just chosen not to return. Thanks for the warning - if I do go, I'll be careful.
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:03 am

I have been to Sol Azteca on several occasions using the same coupon as Jessica. It is usually on Thursday when the 99 cent beer special is running. I have had no problems with the coupons. I will call and check next time, but I hope that Jessica's experience was just a confused server. BTW- I use whatever coupons I can get as often as possible. If the restaurants didn't want this, they wouldn't offer the coupons.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:14 am

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a server, but the mgr. or owner maybe. He was in regular clothes.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:49 am

I would be sure to say he was not in for the 99 cent beers.
He may however been the guy that knew the most english.............
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
Next