Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Widow's Walk for lunch?

no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

Widow's Walk for lunch?

by Erin Riedel » Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 am

According to a post from Robin last year, the Widow's Walk was going to be adding sandwiches, salads, and soup. Does anyone know if they have? My boyfriend works in Clarksville and we're getting tired of the same old things when I come over for lunch. If I don't get any responses here before I head over there I'll check it out and report back!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Widow's Walk for lunch?

by Robin Garr » Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 am

Erin Riedel wrote:According to a post from Robin last year, the Widow's Walk was going to be adding sandwiches, salads, and soup. Does anyone know if they have? My boyfriend works in Clarksville and we're getting tired of the same old things when I come over for lunch. If I don't get any responses here before I head over there I'll check it out and report back!

I'm ashamed to admit that I never went back to check it out, Erin. Worst case, though, at least you can eat dessert first! Looking forward to your report.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Thu May 31, 2007 5:51 pm

Erin, have you ever checked out Lunch Today? It's i that weird little strip mall place in front of Colgates. Right aroud in the same place as Widows walk. It's a great little place w/ great food. Really good Ice Tea!
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Thu May 31, 2007 6:53 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Erin, have you ever checked out Lunch Today? It's i that weird little strip mall place in front of Colgates. Right aroud in the same place as Widows walk. It's a great little place w/ great food. Really good Ice Tea!

Actually, we saw Lunch Today on our way to Widow's Walk! Neither of us had ever noticed or heard of it before. Now that you've recommended it we'll definitely check it out.

As for lunch at Widow's Walk, it was pretty good, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. It was all pretty basic - tuna, chicken salad, ham, turkey, BLT, etc. I had a club sandwich and boyfriend had a chicken salad croissant. Both were served with chips and a pickle. The club was piled high with turkey, ham, swiss, tomato, and lettuce, and seemed to have something resembling Miracle Whip on it. The chicken salad was creamy (a bit heavy on the mayo for boyfriend's tastes) and had nuts and grapes in it. He declared it not the best chicken salad ever but definitely good. For dessert we had the Life of the Party sundae, which consisted of a brownie topped with coffee ice cream, caramel, whipped cream, and nuts. Mmmmm.

I wouldn't make a special trip to have lunch there, but if I happened to be hungry and on my way to or from the falls, I'd probably stop in for a sandwich. And while there is ice cream I like a bit better, you can't beat the ambiance of their front porch and the view of the river and downtown.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Lunch Today is one of my favorite spots for . . . lunch! Food is consistently quite good. They close at 2 though and sometimes I don't quite make it in time.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Thu May 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Erin, just from reading your post, you must try Lunch Today. The food is very light and fresh! Not the standard "heavy" tuna/chicken salads. They have a cute patio, not the same view as WW, but cute none the less. Let me know what you think.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Okay, DeeDee, we tried Lunch Today, and we were very impressed! First, the location is perfect for us, since one of us was coming from Clarksville and the other from downtown. But more importantly, the food was excellent. I had the honey-roasted turkey sandwich (bacon, Granny Smith apple slices, lettuce, red onion, and sage mayo on a French roll) and boyfriend had the chicken salad sandwich (almonds, golden raisins, and chutney mayo on whole grain bread) with a side of potato salad. For dessert we split a Cheesecake on a Stick from Libby's Gourmet Desserts. Everything was fabulous. We often eat lunch at Panera but this was better (and I think slightly cheaper) and will definitely be our place for sandwiches and salads from now on.

Thank you for suggesting this DeeDee!
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Erin, Glad to hear you liked it! They used to have a summer salad that had fresh strawberries in it. Not sure if it's still on the menu, but it's wonderful. I like their use of fresh fruit, it's a nice change of pace.