Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Is the keep Louisville Weird campaign effective?

Yes
34%
No
26%
Unsure
18%
What's wrong with being weird?
22%

Total votes : 50
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Keep Louisville Weird campaign

by Mark R. » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Kyle L wrote:One of the more humorous , I guess, marketing slogans Louisville has had in my recent memory involved its name.

Louisville.
Loo-ee-vill
Lu-i-vill

Something along those lines. They were big banners hung , usually at the airport, and I remember laughing to myself the first time seeing thinking they were quite effective.

I also saw a campaign was very good, but I guess it was a hard campaign to promote because it didn't last long.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Personally, I would HATE the idea of seeing us marketed as a "Southern" city. For a lot of us who grew up in the urban area, there's only a touch of the South about this place. We have a much more complicated - and interesting - cultural heritage mix.

This ^.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Kyle L wrote:One of the more humorous , I guess, marketing slogans Louisville has had in my recent memory involved its name.

Louisville.
Loo-ee-vill
Lu-i-vill

Something along those lines. They were big banners hung , usually at the airport, and I remember laughing to myself the first time seeing thinking they were quite effective.

I also saw a campaign was very good, but I guess it was a hard campaign to promote because it didn't last long.

The Louisville, Loo-ee-vill, Loo-a-vull campaign lasted for a long time, at least 5 years if not longer.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:19 am

When I return home 6+ years ago after an 18 year stint in Nashville, I found the Keep Louisville Weird campaign funny, intriging and informative. I will not hesitate in the least patronizing a an establishment that takes part in it because I feel that I will find a fun, friendly and enlightening atmosphere.

Keep Louisville Weird???? Hell yes!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Barbara A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

St. Matthews

by Barbara A » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 am

Boy, I can't wait until we move to L'ville. We have been working on it for a couple of years as you may or may not know. Don't let the word throw you. Weird offers the possibility for getting into something more unique...more then a clique...more then a comfort zone. It offers the opportunity to explore. And what could be more fun and interesting then to look at anything from more then one side?

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Personally, I would HATE the idea of seeing us marketed as a "Southern" city. For a lot of us who grew up in the urban area, there's only a touch of the South about this place. We have a much more complicated - and interesting - cultural heritage mix.

Ditto!!

What Robin and Roger said.
If you can't cope you can always cook
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:01 pm

I think the 5 names Louisville program was quite good. and I like the "weird" program as well, its certainly better than "possibility city"

I can come up with one pretty easy

Imagine this in a big fancy font all tricked out centered and all that jazz

Louisville
More than Bats, Bourbon, and the 'breds.
Come see what were about
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Rob Summers wrote:
Louisville
More than Bats, Bourbon, and the 'breds.
Come see what were about

Would that be thoroughbreds, or inbreds?
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Todd Antz wrote:Would that be thoroughbreds, or inbreds?

"Booze, Blunts and 'billies"?
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Barbara A wrote:Boy, I can't wait until we move to L'ville. We have been working on it for a couple of years as you may or may not know. Don't let the word throw you. Weird offers the possibility for getting into something more unique...more then a clique...more then a comfort zone. It offers the opportunity to explore. And what could be more fun and interesting then to look at anything from more then one side?

Roger A. Baylor wrote:

Ditto!!

What Robin and Roger said.

I happen love the South, the food, the climate, and the people...and I would prefer that Louisville not be advertised as a Southern city for very different reasons. Primarily because Louisville is not in the South - Louisville is a bastard child of the midwest with an identity crisis...maybe weird isn't so bad after all.

So is Shively an urban area? Park Duvalle? Deer Park? Clifton? Portland?

I don't know of a particularly "urban" area in our fair city...I know a couple of streets and neighborhoods with nice restaurants, antique shops, second hand clothing stores and the like, but that is a relatively small segment of the city as a whole. I lived on Lucia Avenue for 12 years and never felt as if I were in an "urban" area. Even 5th and Market doesn't feel all that urban to me.

Louisville is a "big small town" and a great place to raise a family. It's got great restaurants, nice parks, and an affordable high standard of living. I was born here and choose to live here, but it's not St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta (in the South BTW), or even Cincinnati in terms of urbaneness. To suggest that Louisville is a posh and sophisticated city borders on laughable.
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 am

Todd Antz wrote:
Would that be thoroughbreds, or inbreds?

now robin that sounds more like it should be sent to the kentucky board of tourism, wed get more attention than "unbridled spirit"
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 pm

I grew up in the Highlands. Grandmother lived on Morton; cousins on Douglas Blvd; my family, across from Bowman Field.
We ate out. Went to the movies, museums, concerts, attended UL bball, traveled, were mostly Democratic and moderate to the left. Barely middle class. It really hasn't changed much in all these years. Just gotten better. And I think that the Highlands is the soul of Louisville. And I think keep Louisville wierd is so much better than the Lou campagin - friend of Lou. I joined but I'm not a fan.
I like THE VILLE. That is my favorite name for Louisville.
When people outside of the city didn't know about Louisville - including the Derby - they knew about UofL basketball (and Denny Crum). (I found that out when I traveled while working for KFC back in the 90's.)
I would like to see a campaign to capture the Highlands. Bardstown Road. Cherokee/Seneca Park. Near downtown area. Which gets into downtown, Old Louisville. Some of the most wonderful home settings are at the end of the Broadway around/near Chickasaw park.
How about City of Neighborhoods - wierd wouldn't work with that, would it? I don't want to be known as the little sister of somebody. The Portland of the Midwest. The Charlestown of the Midwest.
This whole North/South thing too. I think we take the best of both, but also use that as excuse to not do somethings correctly sometimes - bridge, arena, etc.
We are a very complicated city. Still not big yet. But certainly not small. JAR? Just About Right?
We're JAR :D
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:19 pm

I was recently in suburban Atlanta, and, on the street I was on, I could just have easily been on Shelbyville Rd. I've had the same experience in New Jersey, Phoenix...you get the idea. The plants might change, but everything else is the same.

"Weird" in this context means the opposite to me. I'm proud Louisville is so weird. City of possibilities sounds so...corporate and lame.

I actually also think of Shakespeare's weird sisters, but, then again, I'm a nerd.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm

I prefer not to assign one particular area as the soul/Heart of Louisville.Simply because other areas in Louisville may have more value, personally, than one designated place.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Kyle L wrote:I prefer not to assign one particular area as the soul/Heart of Louisville.Simply because other areas in Louisville may have more value, personally, than one designated place.

agreed
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Todd Antz wrote:Would that be thoroughbreds, or inbreds?

OMG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
PreviousNext