Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

What is your favorite Ice Cream?

no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:43 am

Michelle R. wrote:I saw some at Meijer's over the weekend. It was Meijer's brand.

Really... that's somewhat surprising. I was expecting, if any answer at all, to hear of it in some small out of the way independent ice cream shop, not in a grocery store brand! Rarely go to Meijer's but might have to make a trip to check it out.

It's one of those special things from my wife's childhood that's felt lost to her ever since she came to Louisville at 9 or 10.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:15 pm

I saw it at the Hurstbourne store. I'd never heard of it before. It sounded yummy, though.
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:23 pm

I stopped at the corner store at Bonnycastle and Bardstown Rd. Forgive me. I can never remember the name of that store.
I had some pistachio and some creme brulee' gelato and my ladyfriend had the tiramisu gelato. Not the 'best in the world' but it was really, really good.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

by Madi D » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Matt F wrote:I stopped at the corner store at Bonnycastle and Bardstown Rd. Forgive me. I can never remember the name of that store.
I had some pistachio and some creme brulee' gelato and my ladyfriend had the tiramisu gelato. Not the 'best in the world' but it was really, really good.

Bombay!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:35 pm

I've just discovered Premium Selection German Chocolate ice cream... I got it from Kroger['s]

It doesn't have chunks of cake like I thought it would, but it is smooth, creamy, rich, and sooooo good!
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:40 pm

I like the Premium Kroger brand, it's good. Oh, they put it on sale quite often, 2 for $5 which is a great deal.
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:56 am

I couldn't believe the price of that Blue Bell Ice Cream. $5.08-$5.48? For that much they should also hook you up on a date. :shock:
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:14 am

They are all $4.99 at Meijer. Kroger had BB on sale 2 for $7 recently.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:57 am

Michelle R. wrote:I saw it at the Hurstbourne store. I'd never heard of it before. It sounded yummy, though.

We went out to pick some up last night... and it was! My wife was so happy. A 15 year long search for Blue Moon in Louisville has ended. Thanks so much for the tip! :D
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm so glad to hear it, and glad I could help! Now I'm curious. I might have to go get some for myself!
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:51 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:Anyone know a place locally to get Blue Moon? Home Ice Cream and Pie kitchen makes their Smurf by mixing Blue Moon and vanilla, which is close but isn't quite what we're looking for.

In the same vein (I think) as Blue Moon (I can't wait to try it) is Hershey's Birthday Cake Flavor Ice Cream, which I buy at K's Food Mart at the corner of Speed and Bardstown. It's "cake-flavored" ice cream with a swirl of Blue Frosting (that's the blue moon connection) and pieces of cake. Don't ask me how it's "cake-flavored", just believe it; it tastes just like commercial yellow deli birthday cake.

I literally cannot stop buying this stuff. I would estimate that since the beginning of the year we have eaten at least 5 gallons of it.

Hershey's Creamery Company (not affiliated with the Chocolate company, although also based in Pennsylvania) has a wide range of flavors. I was first alerted to the brand when a friend of mine from New York state was bemoaning the fact that he couldn't find Maple Walnut ice cream here, and one day - there it was, at my corner store.

Yum. Think I'll have some right now.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

An interesting double dip

by Gary Michael » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Had buffett at India Palace last Sat. (Not as good as Shalimar, but they do offer vegetarian samosas, which the other doesn't) For dessert had a scoop of mango ice cream and another of pistachio ice cream. Not the best ice cream, but definitely the most unique double dip I have ever had!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: An interesting double dip

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:27 pm

Gary Michael wrote:Had buffett at India Palace last Sat. (Not as good as Shalimar

I must consistently go to Shalimar at the wrong times. I find India Palace significantly better in the buffet department - they keep it spruced up and full, mainly, while Shalimar has a bad reputation with me for leaving the pans picked over and mostly empty of everything but sauce ... and the staff seems sullen and glowering where India Palace's peeps are invariably friendly.

I've had great dinners at Shalimar, but the buffet is problematic for me.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:25 am

We went last week to Shalimar and the buffet was impressive to me, much better than the last time I visited, about a year ago. And I actually like the atmosphere and service better at Shalimar, it just seems more upscale to me. It's $7.99 for the buffet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:27 am

Brian Curl wrote:We went last week to Shalimar and the buffet was impressive to me, much better than the last time I visited, about a year ago. And I actually like the atmosphere and service better at Shalimar, it just seems more upscale to me. It's $7.99 for the buffet.

Oh, heck, I guess I'll just have to go back to both of them again. I have such a hard job. :)
PreviousNext