Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Food miles and farmers' markets in LEO summer fun guide

by Robin Garr » Sat May 26, 2007 8:48 am

For some odd reason, the firm that Webifies LEO hasn't got this week's issue, The Summer Fun Guide, on the front page as of this morning, but with a little digging around, I found it buried under a pile of old Billy Reed columns.

[url=http://leoweekly.com/?q=issue/frontpage/4718]Let it be ... summer
LEO's Summer Fun Guide[/url]

You ought to pick up a copy - this one's a seasonal keeper, with lots of info and stories about things to do this summer. I had a food-related piece about a topic we've been discussion on the forum lately: Farmers' Markets in the region, and how they relate to the increasingly hot topic of "food miles." Here's the intro, with links to the full story and to the state's almost-but-not-quite comprehensive list of farmers' markets in the Metro and Southern Indiana. Hey! Bardstown Road farmers' market is on <i>right now</i>!

<B>Miles to go before we eat: Food miles, that is</B>

How many miles did your dinner travel from the field to your plate?
This seemingly innocuous query may seem like a silly question. But the idea of “food miles” has become a hot topic — and a serious one — among the growing cadre of environmentally sensitive food lovers who spend time thinking about where our food comes from and its impact on the world.

Food miles are an international concern — no surprise in a globalizing world where it’s no longer unusual to see beef from Australia, lamb from New Zealand, asparagus from Peru, and, of course, flavorless pink winter tomatoes from California in Louisville-area supermarkets.

Simply put, food miles measure the distance that foodstuffs travel from field to plate. In Britain, where the issue first seemed to gain traction, the initial concern was environmental. As the British Broadcasting Company explains it, “travel adds substantially to the carbon dioxide emissions that are contributing to climate change — which is why food miles matter.”

Full story in LEO

Summer Fun Guide Listings (farmer's markets, festivals, clubs and activities)
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

Best / Biggest Farmer's Markets?

by Anthony U » Sat May 26, 2007 10:15 am

Can anyone share where the biggest and best farmers markets are? Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Best / Biggest Farmer's Markets?

by Robin Garr » Sat May 26, 2007 11:21 am

Anthony U wrote:Can anyone share where the biggest and best farmers markets are? Thanks.

Anthony, the one on Bardstown Road between Bonnycastle and Speed is THE biggie ... if you'll click through and read the entire LEO story, it's the main one I talk about. It's on every Saturday, and you've probably still got a couple of hours if you head over that way right now. ;) It starts at 8 a.m. and runs through midday or early afternoon, although I think its peak is probably from 9 to 11 or thereabouts.
no avatar
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

by Jennie Mulhall » Tue May 29, 2007 10:30 am

I've been to the Bardstown Rd. farmer's market the past two Saturdays & I love it! I used to live on Deerwood & I miss being so close to it.

I've gotten some amazing salad greens, English cucumbers, and broccoli. My mom & I went this past weekend & got some lovely bedding plants too. It's an amazing place to eat breakfast too as they cook up omelets to order.

All the venders I've dealt with there are wonderful!

Also, I'm addicted to Miss Charlotte's Irish Hedgerow mustard & their Jezebel sauce. The "mustard guy" always offers samples of the huge line of mustards that he carries.

I made some delicious benedictine with the cucumbers & I'm enjoying the mustard on garden burgers. I think it would be awesome with oil & vinegar as a dressing too.
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

by Anthony U » Tue May 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks Robin! We are definitely there this weekend... :o
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Bardsdtown Rd Farmers' Market

by Kim H » Tue May 29, 2007 8:55 pm

I LOVE the Bardstown Rd. Farmers Market!!! When I lived in the neighborhood, I loved to just wake up on a beautiful Saturday morning, and decide to meander down there, have breakfast, and get whatever ingredients appealed to me and looked good that day. I especially loved it when Seafood Connection was across the street, I could get whatever fish looked good, and I'd have the freshest dinner. Anyway, all the vendors are so nice, and it's interesting to talk to them about what they do. And the made-to-order breakfasts with fresh ingredients, guitar playing, flowers, samples of wonderful cheeses.... it is the best way to spend a Sat. morning. Even though I don't live close anymore, we still go down there some Saturdays just to hang out and get some great produce, cheese, etc. It's more of an experience than just shopping for fresh produce. I highly recommend it!
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

market

by Heather Y » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Beargrass Christian church in St. Matthews will begin it's Farmer's market on June 23rd. If it pans out the way organizers hope.... it will be bigger and better than others in town. They will have some 20 or more vendors , that will include Greens, fruits, cheeses, breads, music, food demos, and sales. etc.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:04 am

The Oldham County Farmer's Market starts this Saturday and they have the best homegrown produce. It is on the courthouse lawn in downtown La Grange. Lots to choose from and very high quality organic produce and cheap prices. I absolutely love it when the market opens up, I don't buy produce from anyone else when they have it open.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Oldham County Market

by Deb Hall » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:32 am

Rick,

Thanks for the tip on the Oldham County Market. We've always loved the Bardstown Road one but I wasn't aware of this one. It's not so far for us (far) East End folks, Lagrange is really quaint and if the prices are cheap that's really great. May have to wake the kids up to go to it, but they'll just have to get over it.

Anything in particular you recommend?

Deb
no avatar
User

Hilary N.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:17 pm

by Hilary N. » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:52 pm

The one in Smoketown at Meyzeek opens this Saturday. Here's the e-mail I got from the farmer who does our CSA.

Meyzeek's Farmers Market has opened!!!
Last week was a success and this Saturday 6/9 the Market is featuring a Jumping Playground, Baby Animals, FREE LUNCH for the first 100 shoppers.
Mayor Abramson, 4th district council member Mr. Tandy and Dr. Troutman from the Health Department will also be attending the market for Dedication of the New Farmers Market Mural.
Market opens at 9am
Dedication at 11am
Market will close at 1pm.
See you there!
EBT and Foodstamps accepted!
WIC recipients receive a free $10 voucher for the Farmers Market
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Meyzeek Farm's Market

by Deb Hall » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Hilary,
Have you been to it before? I really hate to discourage people from what is a great attempt to bring a market to this Smoketown area, but since the posting was asking for the BEST markets, I have to chime in. My daughter goes to Meyzeek, and we went to this market last year looking for vendors. It was probably the smallest market in town with very little in the way of specialized product/produce. Great source for that neighborhood, but if I was looking for a Farmer's Market to travel to, this wouldn't be it (Sorry, Jerry).

Deb
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:27 pm

Deb, They usually have incredible asparagus and heirloom tomatoes, but it may be a little early for those. Also try the hot sauce booth and one of the farmers has an incredible selection of hot peppers. We get all of our tomatoes from the market all summer long as well as the fresh flowers.
Hope that helps.
no avatar
User

Christian Dreisbach

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:19 am

Louisville

Re: market

by Christian Dreisbach » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:29 am

Heather Y wrote:Beargrass Christian church in St. Matthews will begin it's Farmer's market on June 23rd. If it pans out the way organizers hope.... it will be bigger and better than others in town. They will have some 20 or more vendors , that will include Greens, fruits, cheeses, breads, music, food demos, and sales. etc.

Where is this church? Thanks!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:37 am

It's at the corner of Browns Lane and Shelbyville Rd

You know! Across from the old Sears Bldg! :wink:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

Re: Oldham County Market

by Andrea E » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:31 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Rick,

Thanks for the tip on the Oldham County Market. We've always loved the Bardstown Road one but I wasn't aware of this one. It's not so far for us (far) East End folks, Lagrange is really quaint and if the prices are cheap that's really great. May have to wake the kids up to go to it, but they'll just have to get over it.

Anything in particular you recommend?

Deb

I'm not generally one to promote myself, but I just had to pipe in and recommend that you stop at my booth for some homemade baked goodies. I make everything from scratch, no trans fats! This week I'll have whoopie pies, blackberry and strawberry crumb cakes, sour cream coffee cake and four types of yeast breads. Hope to see you there!
Next