Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mari B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 am

Looking for a great sushi place

by Mari B » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello there!
I'm not really familiar with the area (Newbie :D), and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality sushi place, with equally deserved prices. (I understand sushi gets a little pricey, but sometimes you end up paying a lot more for so so quality & quantity.) Ambiance isn't as important (to me) as the quality of the food, so even if its a hole in the wall place, but its great, lead me there! I've lived in Chicago all of my life, so I've had the opportunity to grow up eating several varieties of authentic ethnic food places.

I did try Sakura blue 2 times this week, (I read the reviews) and I wasn't really impressed. The service was wonderful, but the food was just alright. Unfortunately, we noticed that some of the nigiri pieces smelled a bit off and had an odd taste. (Specifically the Amaebi) Maybe it was a bad batch? The first week we moved here, I remember going to a sushi place (I think it was on Bardstown road) that was fairly small, but the fish to sushi (rice) ratio was great, & the food was delicious. Sadly, I can't remember the name.

Thank you so much for your time. I'd really appreciate your help. I can't wait to dip into the diversity and culture that Louisville has to offer! I miss home like crazy, but I can def. say, without hesitation, that the warmth of the community has made this transition much easier.

Thanks again.
Mari B.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Looking for a great sushi place

by Mark Head » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 pm

In the east end our favorite is Tokyo. It' s a small family run place with an emphasis on quality. It's not fancy but traditional. I like Maido on Frankfort for more adventuresome options if I'm in that area....again the quality is very very high. The really good news is that there are least 4 or 5 other really fine sushi bars in the city. You'll find your favorite I'm sure.

http://www.tokyosushis.com
http://www.maidosakebar.com
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:22 pm

As Mark said, there are many options. I tend to always go with Maido. Great sushi, great beer, and a great setting. Is the happy hour still going on there?

I've had Oishii on Bardstown a few times. It's fine sushi, but I just like everything about Maido better.

Having said this, I'm not eating sushi for a whole year(!), so my "take" is slightly outdated.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm another Maido fan- Toki takes great pride in her sushi. The happy hour prices are INSANE.
We recently had an offline at Sake Blue and it was delicious. Sohee and the crew are welcoming and very talented. If you are out that way it is a definate go to.
Hokiamon on Westport and Herr Lane is really good too.
Have fun checking them all out and let us know your fav.
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:56 pm

I've got to throw my voice of support in for Maido as well. Check out their Super Happy Hour from 4-6 Monday-Thursday. The prices are very low, and the sushi is great. When I feel like sushi, I almost invariably end up going here.

I think the sushi place you went to on Bardstown Road was Oishii. Their prices are also very reasonable for the amount of food you get.

Probably the best sushi I've had in town though was at the Sake Blue offline. The prices are a little bit higher than the previous two I mentioned, but the quality is definitely there to back it up.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:18 pm

I have to agree with Maido. The prices are good, but really low from 4-6 pm Monday thru Friday. They had/have a super happy hour 4/6 m-th but may have discontinued that. I couldn't get that part of the menu to show up.

Maido is not just a sushi place, but has a lot more. Service and food great.

I haven't gotten to Sake Blue yet but they have received good reviews.

web page for Maido maidosakebar.com.
Last edited by Steve Shade on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Paul Mick wrote:I've got to throw my voice of support in for Maido as well. Check out their Super Happy Hour from 4-6 Monday-Thursday. The prices are very low, and the sushi is great. When I feel like sushi, I almost invariably end up going here.

I think the sushi place you went to on Bardstown Road was Oishii. Their prices are also very reasonable for the amount of food you get.

Probably the best sushi I've had in town though was at the Sake Blue offline. The prices are a little bit higher than the previous two I mentioned, but the quality is definitely there to back it up.

Paul, your reading mmy mind agagi with Oishii.....

Now I' craving sushi
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Mari B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 am

by Mari B » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Paul Mick wrote:I've got to throw my voice of support in for Maido as well. Check out their Super Happy Hour from 4-6 Monday-Thursday. The prices are very low, and the sushi is great. When I feel like sushi, I almost invariably end up going here.

Yes! It was Oiishi! :D That place was great, and I was extremely please with the portion sizes (Very annoying when you get a ton of rice, and just a tiny bit of fish)

Thank You everyone for your replies! I can't wait to try some of these places.
no avatar
User

Kevin Graves

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kevin Graves » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:00 pm

On sushi alone, go for Oishi.

For atmosphere, tapas, and some of the best sushi in the city, go to Maido.
Kevin J. Graves
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Might want to check out a previous posting on Saki Blue when we had a hugh forum dinner there. I believe there are some photos as well. That was an awesome night!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:09 am

another vote for oishii! i've also been to sake blue, mikato, and oasis. mikato was delicious and so was sake blue, however bf and i go to oishii because we love their food and it is very affordable. we don't usually order any nigiri, mainly just the rolls. our favorites are their crunch munch roll or their yum yum. both are huge and contain generous portions of spicy crab, which we are big fans of, with a drizzle of yummy spicy mayo on top. we usually order three different rolls (for the two of us) and there are always leftovers to take home. we try one new thing each time we go and have never been disappointed. their little salad with the orange dressing and the miso soup are great, too.

never been to maido, but with all the high praise, it's sounding quite good. i'll have to try it out soon :)
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

Aaron M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 am

Louisville

by Aaron M » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:10 am

My wife and I had a tragically bad experience at Sake Blue this past weekend. MY entree came out, but hers never did. Management handled it very very poorly, and we ended up leaving without her sushi ever being served.

Tokyo is great. I end up eating downtown at Caviar quite a bit because it's near my work, but the food is always good.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:22 am

Oishi is fantastic and my first choice if I am in the Bardstown Rd. area, but my favorite sushi place in town is Fuji in the Springhurst area (near Tinseltown movie theater). Excellent sushi and menu...always great service and nice traditional atmosphere.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Aaron M wrote: I end up eating downtown at Caviar quite a bit because it's near my work, but the food is always good.

Second. It's often either overlooked or underappreciated, but I like Caviar a lot. It's very nice inside, and my sushi has always been of very high quality. Their hand rolls are particularly good as well.

I work close to it, and so have only been for lunch.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

by TrishaW » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 am

I like Sake Blue. Great service both times we've been, and that isn't even taking in account the wonderful treatment we got as a group.
Next