Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

fosters $70.00 bottle of beer

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: fosters $70.00 bottle of beer

by Mark R. » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:43 am

OK, I admitted I'm not a beer connoisseur but.... I don't understand how in the world beer can be that expenses. Wine is overpriced in most cases when it gets that expensive but at least it spends time aging where as beer is that's drank fresh so it's not as if they have a lot of overhead storing it while it ages. In my opinion is nothing they can do to beer and make it worth this kind of money! Just give me some of our great local brews when I'm in the mood for one, I'm sure they taste just as good or better and cost a H___ of a lot less.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 am

Mark R. wrote:OK, I admitted I'm not a beer connoisseur but.... I don't understand how in the world beer can be that expenses. Wine is overpriced in most cases when it gets that expensive but at least it spends time aging where as beer is that's drank fresh so it's not as if they have a lot of overhead storing it while it ages. In my opinion is nothing they can do to beer and make it worth this kind of money! Just give me some of our great local brews when I'm in the mood for one, I'm sure they taste just as good or better and cost a H___ of a lot less.

You would be surprised how good some of the beers that are made to be aged taste after a bit of time in the cellar. There are many Belgian beers that are brewed with that purpose in mind. They tend to be higher in alcohol (10 - 15% ABV) to stand the test of time, but with a little aging, they are amazingly complex. Most can be drank fresh, but several years can actually help the beer mature. Certain stouts, barley wines, Belgian strong ales are made for cellaring.

Every year, we do a holiday beer tasting. I always set back a few bottles of last year's vintage and taste them side by side with a fresh version of the beer. I would easily say that 99% of the time, the aged beer is preferred over the fresh.

Don't get me wrong, $70 does seem high. Most of the beers I speak of retail between $10 - 15 a bottle. There have been a few breweries lately that have made beers that are priced in this range. Ironically, brewers of mass swill like Carlsburg and Fosters have tried this in the past year and to success as well.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 am

Mark R. wrote:OK, I admitted I'm not a beer connoisseur but.... I don't understand how in the world beer can be that expenses. Wine is overpriced in most cases when it gets that expensive but at least it spends time aging where as beer is that's drank fresh so it's not as if they have a lot of overhead storing it while it ages. In my opinion is nothing they can do to beer and make it worth this kind of money! Just give me some of our great local brews when I'm in the mood for one, I'm sure they taste just as good or better and cost a H___ of a lot less.

I'm not a beer connoisseur, I just like drinking different beers, and the best one I've ever had was aged three years and ran me...six bucks a glass I think. A bit different from that $70 750ml bottle, but I have spent in the $30s for similar sized bottles.

I don't know that I'd spend $70 for a big bottle of the bbc old fella, but I could see myself dropping forty or fifty, it was that tasty.
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm intrigued by this. Like Todd said, most beers that sell for high prices don't have an MSRP around $70. They're simply aged versions of limited editions beers. Beers like Hair of the Dog's Dave, Three Floyd's Dark Lord, and Sam Adams' Utopia are gigantic beers with tones of malt character and an ABV to match. The hoppiest beers that age well are generally the maltier double IPA's and some heavily hopped barley wines.

My point being, I've never heard of anyone trying to make a lager that would age long enough to be worth $70 at retail prices. Looking at Foster's on Ratebeer.com, their highest ABV beer tops out at 5.5% and their best rated beer gets a score that puts it in the bottom 12% of all beers. I somehow doubt this beer will be worth the money.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Foster does not care whether this is "worth the money". They only hope that they will sell enough to make worthwhile. For goodness sakes, it is in the Queens cellar, therefore it must be great. As somebody once said "theirs a sucker born every minute". Probably more like every second.

It's not unknown in the retail world that it sometimes helps to RAISE the price, therefore it is worth more.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Steve Shade wrote:For goodness sakes, it is in the Queens cellar, therefore it must be great.

I've always heard that Her Majesty is a beer geek! :D
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Paul Mick wrote:I've always heard that Her Majesty is a beer geek! :D

Her late mum was, for sure. She liked cask-conditioned ale, as all of us bloody well should.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:48 am

Sam Adams makes Utopias, an extreme beer that changes hands for up to $500 a bottle. The empty bottles sell on ebay for $175 up. This "beer" is 27% ABV. I sought one last year for a Christmas gift for a son-in-law.
This beer is extremely hard to find. I was told that 5 bottles were allocated to Kentucky. For $150 I managed to buy a bottle. This uncarbonated beast is served at room temperature in a brandy sniffer.
The taste is difficult to describe but includes things tossed in during the fermentations (vanilla, nutty, fruity, maple sugar) and aging barrels. For a good description go to beeradvocate.com.
no avatar
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:00 am

Robert Carnighan wrote: I was told that 5 bottles were allocated to Kentucky. For $150 I managed to buy a bottle. This uncarbonated beast is served at room temperature in a brandy sniffer.

$150 for a Utopias is about right. It is only released biannually and in very limited quantities. I'm not sure how many bottles made it to Kentucky in '07 but I know there were only 20 bottles for Louisville. It will be back out some time around November (just in time for those holiday gifts) and with a few more bottles available than in the past.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 am

Ryan B wrote:
Robert Carnighan wrote: I was told that 5 bottles were allocated to Kentucky. For $150 I managed to buy a bottle. This uncarbonated beast is served at room temperature in a brandy sniffer.

$150 for a Utopias is about right. It is only released biannually and in very limited quantities. I'm not sure how many bottles made it to Kentucky in '07 but I know there were only 20 bottles for Louisville. It will be back out some time around November (just in time for those holiday gifts) and with a few more bottles available than in the past.

If you want to talk about demand for this beer, I've got a request list for this one that is 10 people deep right now. The list started about 9 months ago in anticipation for the beer's release this November.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444