Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Buenos Aires

no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

Buenos Aires

by Neal M » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm heading South tommorrow for a week in Buenos Aires. Last week while at Palermo Viejo I asked for suggestions and was told that any place in Palermo Viejo was a good place to start. And, since I was a regular, that I'd be familiar with the menus. But no specific suggestions other than to check out the neighborhood. I will be staying in Palermo though so it will be easy to follow the suggestion. Obviously I will eat some steak, while in Rome........ but was wondering if anyone here has ever been and might point me in a good direction.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Buenos Aires

by Gayle DeM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:06 pm

Neal, this is the reply that I received from my older son. (He said the reason he pushed the Brazilian cafe was because there are none here or in Lexington and he was really anxious to try it.)

The meal in Buenos Aires that I remember best was Restaurante Spettus, a Brazillian-style eatery in the Puerto Madero district very close to the Puente de la Mujer (The Women’s Bridge). The staff brings the meat (Steak, Chicken, Pork, Lamb, Goat, maybe more that I’ve forgotten) to your table on long flat skewers. The remaining dishes are on a buffet. It was very good and we all ate way too much.

Restaurante Spettus
Alicia Moreau de Justo 876, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, 1107
Argentina
(0)11 4334 4126‎

You can find it on Google Maps.

We also had a nice afternoon tea at the Café Victoria, which is near the Recoleta cemetery across from the massive Ombu tree.
1865 Pres. Roberto M. Ortiz
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina
(0)11 4804 0016

I’ve forgotten the names of the other places, but regardless you are not going to have a bad meal in Argentina; we didn’t anyway. The Argentines produce great food. If you go to Bariloche, ask about restaurants there.

— Jon
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

Re: Buenos Aires

by Neal M » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks Gayle. I imagine a Brazillian Churascaria would be very good down there, considering what I have heard about the beef.