Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Aaron Thomas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:07 am

Highlands

Louisville's restaurant scene gets a shout-out.

by Aaron Thomas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:23 pm

An article written by John Mariani in Forbes Traveler made it to MSNBC's front page and Louisville gets a nice mention at the end of the second paragraph :) :

The traditionally strong restaurant cities abide—New York, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco. But in the past decade other cities came way up in reputation, so that now you can dine amazingly well in just about any city of any size. O.K., maybe not Buffalo, Detroit, and Mobile, but most certainly there is an amazing number of good restaurants in cities as small as Greenville, S.C., Naples, Fla., and Louisville, Ken.

I'm not familiar with John Mariani, but a brief google search yielded his website. It looks like his most recent visit here was in December of 2006. Here's that edition of his newsletter: http://www.johnmariani.com/archive/2006 ... index.html

Good stuff!
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Louisville's restaurant scene gets a shout-out.

by Brad Keeton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

Very nice, and I think his generalization is fair. No, we are not and will never be New York, LA, San Francisco, etc. in terms of the sheer quantity of available quality food options, but in cities like Louisville (St. Louis also comes to mind) you can dine exceptionally well in a variety of establishments. The best of the best in a place like New York is not substantially better than the best of the best here (I'm sure I will be growled at for that--and yes, the best of the best in NYC is probably better than the best of the best here, but not by miles), it's just that those cities have a greater number of those places, purely because of population, if you ask me.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown