Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

ichiban samurai

no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

ichiban samurai

by Jessie H » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 pm

i was browsing a dining guide today and saw that ichiban offers an all you can eat sushi bar. has anyone tried this? what is the price range? is it like a pizza buffet, where you can say what you'd like and they make it for the buffet?

any info or opinions would be appreciated. thanks :)
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: ichiban samurai

by JustinHammond » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:57 pm

I ate there about 3 years ago and had ok sushi and a great teppanyaki grill experience. They were really happy to shove sake bombs down everyones throat.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:46 pm

When we went there (a while back), it was order from a special menu and they brought it,as many times as you wish. It was whole rolls and no sharing unless everyone is paying for the AYCE. We enjoyed the sushi, tried some things we had not had before. Since it was our son's birthday (and his choice for the meal), they played drums and sang, took his picture and gave him a lovely set of chopsticks. It was not the best sushi we ever had, the choices were only what was on the AYCE menu, but it was good. At the time we went, I believe it was $21.95 each.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 am

I heard rumors about an all you can eat sushi experience in Louisville (pre-Dragon King's Daughter) and I could never remember where it was. Needless to say, when my parents come up in two weeks, we'll be trying this place out. Let me know if you enjoy it Jessie.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 am

will do, mickey boy :wink:

amen.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:45 am

For what it's worth, this place used to be Benihana. Ichiban took over the premises when Benihana left, but it still looks about the same. We tried the all-you-can-eat sushi once when it was fairly new and were reasonably impressed. A pretty standard selection of rolls, but they were fresh and decent, and the sushi chefs were outgoing and fun. I wouldn't rate it above Sapporo or Tokyo or other favorites for quality, but "all you can eat" for decent sushi is a pretty good deal.
no avatar
User

PJ Lacson

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:54 am

by PJ Lacson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:02 am

I ate there last week. I thought it was good. 23.95 for the buffet.
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm

i understand that any all-you-can-eat deal may have it's um...stipulations. no sharing with someone who hasn't purchased the buffet, no to-go boxes, etc. i found a menu online for ichiban and it indicated that the customer will be charged an additional dollar for any bite of sushi left on the plate. i realize they are entitled to their policies, but when the price is already nearly $25 per person, i find that a bit abrasive. has anyone seen this type of charge at other all-you-can-eat places?

amen.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:37 pm

I had seen it at NYC sushi places in the late '90s that had all you can eat policies but have not since then anywhere else.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Jessie H wrote:i understand that any all-you-can-eat deal may have it's um...stipulations. no sharing with someone who hasn't purchased the buffet, no to-go boxes, etc. i found a menu online for ichiban and it indicated that the customer will be charged an additional dollar for any bite of sushi left on the plate. i realize they are entitled to their policies, but when the price is already nearly $25 per person, i find that a bit abrasive. has anyone seen this type of charge at other all-you-can-eat places?

You also must clean your plate, including rice, before re ordering.

Also it is not really all you can eat, since there are limitations on much you can have.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:11 am

maybe i'll skip the quasi-all-you-can-eat and stick to my routine of ordering what i like, and putting my leftovers in a box. then, i can finish off my meal an hour after i get home, as i will inevitably get hungry again. i can leave a sushi place stuffed and then be ready to eat again in no time. mysterious how that happens, isn't it? same thing with chinese food. anyone know why?

amen.