Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

organic food study

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

organic food study

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/Story?id=8206608&page=3

I'll play nice for now. Simply, reactions?
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Re: organic food study

by Charles W. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm

no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Charles, I don't know what I would do if you were not catching all my errors. I feel like I owe you a beer or something. Or maybe I should report you as a stalker! :wink:
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes, correcting errors is one of my favorite things :wink:

In this case I clicked on the link and couldn't figure out at first where the story was. But, if I find any more errors, I'll jump as quickly as I can. :D
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Yeah, I think the main advantage to organic foods is that you're avoiding the various pesticides that people spray on your foods.

Also, you're not subjecting the farm workers to exposure to those dangerous pesticides.

While many people shrug and say whatever, some people point out that our society frequently finds many of the chemicals we routinely use to be harmful to our health. But, often we don't find out until many years later. So the question becomes, are you willing to risk your own health, and the health of your children, while the big chem companies do their "experiments" on society?

I'd say go organic whenever possible.

At Ray's, we use exclusively organic milk. That milk costs a lot more. No other coffee shop in the city does that. We foot the bill. We take a reduction in profits, because it is something I believe strongly in. Further, we buy organic coffee. I only know of two other places in town that exclusively do so (Heine's and Jackson's -formerly Jackson's). Pesticides don't make it through to the final coffee, but I feel strongly about the workers being exposed to the chems.

Cheers...I could go on forever on this one.....
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:06 pm

I buy all of my apples and berries organic whenever possible due to the pesticides.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote: Pesticides don't make it through to the final coffee, but I feel strongly about the workers being exposed to the chems.

This quote makes me believe that you think pesticides are in the "process", but "don't make it through to the final coffee".

I thought to be organic, pesticides could not be used anywhere throughout the process???
no avatar
User

Chris Hutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm

louisville

by Chris Hutton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 pm

I do not care whatever this one study think it has found.

I do not trust Monsanto and do not trust GMOs.

I recommend everybody growing little gardens themselves if they can.

I would also recommend buying from vegatables and meats from local farmers.

I would also recommend not eating any fast food; specially for children.

I would also recommend eating at restaurants that you trust use good fresh foods(keep it simple) and avoid stuff like Trans fat and MSG as much as possible.

I am not trying to be preachy and really do not know everything(I like learning new things).

If you disagree; I wish you well and hope your right.

But I strongly have a distrust for GMOs, Monsanto, Aspartane? and the like.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 pm

if you're not a fan of Penn & Teller, you've been missing out

http://www.sho.com/site/video/brightcov ... 0452406001

The main issues i have with "organics":
1 - there is very little regulation regarding the labeling of products as "organic"
2 - not to stereotype, but the general public is pretty confused about what "organic" really means [it does not mean locally produced; it does not mean that chemical agents <pesticides, fertilizers, coloring agents, preservatives, etc> were not used in the growing process <yes, USDA Certified does exclude the use of certain chemicals, but not ALL> ; it does not mean that it was produced on a small/family farm; ]

I certainly believe in the theory of organic foods, but i believe the theory is becoming lost in the execution (try a few searches on Horizon Dairy and sick cows)

Buy local (from the farmers markets and local farmers when possible)

And if you are really concerned about the issues of chemicals in your food, you have to do a lot of the research on your own, and many of our food producers are not required to provide the relevant information to the general public (ask your local brewer if they can tell you how, when, and where their hops and barley were planted, cultivated, and harvested)

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/

is a good resource for the concerned organic consumer (but most of you hippes already knew that) :D

i try to eat local, but when i'm shopping in the chain grocery stores, i usually have no preference concerning "organic"

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

JThompson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 pm

by JThompson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Organic has become big business, it started as a noble idea but as usual, when money is to be made the big businesses will take over. Anyone interested in this should read "Omnivores Dilemma" great book full of info but also a very interesting read. My personal take on the slow food movement is very simple. Buy local; visit the farms; find out where the farmers get some of their food. At the club we buy from a local couple "Dave and Dee's" who run a coop, so all of their produce is within 50 miles of the club. I burn their ears off with questions about local produce, meat, cheese, etc. etc.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:31 pm

If everything was "organic" my guess is we'd have famines in more of the world than we do. I buy "organic" if the stuff looks to be of better quality. That stuff they sell as "organic" in Kroger looks rotten half the time.

When looking for "all natural" ingredients don't forget that lead, mercury, and arsenic are natural. I think the public is largely being ripped off.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am

Jerry C wrote:
Nimbus Couzin wrote: Pesticides don't make it through to the final coffee, but I feel strongly about the workers being exposed to the chems.

This quote makes me believe that you think pesticides are in the "process", but "don't make it through to the final coffee".

I thought to be organic, pesticides could not be used anywhere throughout the process???

I was referring to coffees that aren't organic. (we use only organic coffees at Rays).

But even conventionally grown coffees, after the processing (the fruit is removed and the beans are dried), and then the roasting (where the temps reach over 400 degrees), virtually no pesticides remain in the final product. I have a chemist friend who has verified this in his gov't lab.

I was just saying that even if the pesticides don't make it through to the final product, morally we owe it to the farmers and growers not to use them..

Cheers,

p.s. In my opinion, your best bet is buying from local organic farms, growing what you can in your own backyard, and kicking the meat and dairy products. That opinion is from a health, environmental and moral perspective, and is merely a personal opinion. It is a free country (still).
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Sondra P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:42 am

by Sondra P » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:11 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote: I only know of two other places in town that exclusively do so (Heine's and Jackson's -formerly Jackson's).

My business name changed 3 months ago to Red Hot Roasters.
Heine Bros and myself are the only roasters in town be certified organic by the USDA.
"Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of someone else..." ~Judy Garland
http://www.redhotroasters.com
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 am

No offense, Nimbus, but I like steak and dairy products too much to ever become a vegetarian. I buy organic produce when the stuff looks better. If not, I buy regular produce, wash it thoroughly, and enjoy.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Mark Head wrote:If everything was "organic" my guess is we'd have famines in more of the world than we do.

Why is that?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
Next