Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: Will you drink beer in a box?

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:
Paul Mick wrote:I would not drink it with a mouse, I would not drink it in a house. I do not like it James Dlugosch, I do not like Coors-in-Box. (nly, unlike Dr. Seuss' protagonist, I've actually tried the stuff. (sans-box)

Personally, I'm not opposed to the idea of beer in a box though. Provided they can keep the beer from going flat, and the materials are recyclable. It could actually save energy. However, my subsequent argument would have to be that growlers (glass 1/2 gallon bottles filled with beer from your local brew-pubs) are even more energy efficient and much greener, because they are 100% reusable and cut out the carbon footprint from shipping.

JustinHammond wrote:"Despite what the microbrewers will tell you, all beer is pretty much the same. Consumers who pay a premium do so more for the experience than the taste."

My tastebuds and the microbrewers have been lying to me for years. Those bastards.

Hah, you're exactly right Justin. It makes me feel good that the comments on that blog in regards to the part about all beer being "pretty much the same" have been unilaterally scathing. I would throw in my two cents, but there are already more pages of comments than I care to read so I think the issue has been thoroughly addressed. :wink:

Justin quoted an amazing statement that needs to be refuted! " all beer is pretty much the same."

All beer is pretty much the same? What in the world do you know about beer? Apparently nothing!
Bzzzzt...Wrong ...go to jail, don't collect $200....

That statement is like saying all food is basically the same. But in reality some is excellent and awesome and some really sucks. No difference with beer. You can have bland adjunct filled lagers like bud light, or you can have tasty hand-crafted wonders like Stone IPA, or one of our local brews from New Albanian, or BBC, or cumberland or Brownings. The statement is like saying "all bread is basically the same."

Well, I dare you to eat a piece of wonder bread, and then try a piece of good whole grain bread from a German bakery )or Blue Dog locally. No comparison . Almost like apples and oranges...

rrrrrrrrr...

The person making the "all beers are the same argument" is someone who has bought into the "selling of the middle" marketing approach in America. Simply, it is easier to market objects as being different (when they are the same) then it is to actually market products that are actually different. Really, what's the difference between Miller Light and Bud Light? Instead of embracing difference settled through competition (the hallmark of free market capitalism), we've allowed ourselves to be seduced by 1) the perception of difference among that which is the same (Bud Light and Miller Light) and 2) the "othering" of that which is really different. The most clever way to do this, then, is to other the outsider (the microbrew) by saying "no really, it's just like ours." In other words, instead of highlighting its difference as unique (or even bad), you eliminate its difference by saying "it's the same." As creatures of habit, we like "same." Once you make that argument, the next argument is simple - the financial bottom line argument. "Why pay 8 bucks for a six of that, when you can get 24 of ours for 8.99."

Maybe this is a rant. Maybe I needed to get it off my chest.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:04 pm

In an effort to tighten up the budget in the week before payday, I bought a six pack of Miller Genuine Draft last weekend instead of my usual Guiness Extra Stout. It's been years since I've tasted MGD and I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised at the complete lack of flavor. Next time I'll just do without.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Paul Mick wrote:
Nimbus Couzin wrote:Justin quoted an amazing statement that needs to be refuted! " all beer is pretty much the same."

All beer is pretty much the same? What in the world do you know about beer? Apparently nothing!
Bzzzzt...Wrong ...go to jail, don't collect $200....

He has nearly 550 comments on that story already, and more coming in by the minute. It is also his most poorly rated story on the site. I think this guy is going to learn his lesson! :D

Make outrageous statements and your hit count goes thru the roof? Lesson learned!!!

Umm...hmmm...not good.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Matthew D wrote:The person making the "all beers are the same argument" is someone who has bought into the "selling of the middle" marketing approach in America. Simply, it is easier to market objects as being different (when they are the same) then it is to actually market products that are actually different. Really, what's the difference between Miller Light and Bud Light?

You can see Matthew's complete lack of sophisticated beer knowledge by his reference to Miller Light, when all of us in the know realize it is Miller Lite. :shock:
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Charles W. wrote:
Matthew D wrote:The person making the "all beers are the same argument" is someone who has bought into the "selling of the middle" marketing approach in America. Simply, it is easier to market objects as being different (when they are the same) then it is to actually market products that are actually different. Really, what's the difference between Miller Light and Bud Light?

You can see Matthew's complete lack of sophisticated beer knowledge by his reference to Miller Light, when all of us in the know realize it is Miller Lite. :shock:

Dammit, I have been caught! I have been found to be outside of middle America! I don't know the discourse to talk about domestic swill, so I've been found to be a phony!

Good catch Charles. I got a good laugh from your post. Granted, I'm surprised someone (Bud, Miller) hasn't switched the spelling to "light" and told us it was "different." Guess they are too busy redesigning the bottles for the umptenth time.

Cheers!
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:21 pm

silly ode to beer (from a box or otherwise)

i will drink it from a box, i will drink it in my socks.
i will drink it in my PJs, i will drink it dancing with DJs.
i will drink it in a bar, i will not drink it in a car.
i will drink it from a can, i will drink it with my man.
i will drink it at the lake, i will drink it while i bake.
if you pour it in a shoe, i will drink it anywho.
if it's cold or no so much, i will drink it anysuch.
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Bravo! Bravo! <throwing bo-kays at the arteeste>

Jessie H wrote:silly ode to beer (from a box or otherwise)

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Jessie H wrote:silly ode to beer (from a box or otherwise)

Now THAT was funny. Encore, encore.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:02 pm

:oops:
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Adam C wrote:I would drink beer out of a shoe if it was cold enough.

And you wouldn't taste a thing, including the lovely hint of sweat socks.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:39 pm

In truth, some clueless dude writing something about "money central" has as much business making pronouncements about beer quality as I do suggesting where to put your money.

Like the "beer summit" today, it's a non-issue, and indicative of slow news days. I'm over it.

Of course, he'll never be allowed to set foot in any establishment I own ...
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:05 pm

While we are on the subject of swill; when Miller triple hops their beer do they use three hops or do they cut one into three pieces? Just curious.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Beer in a can - fine.
Beer in a bottle - fine.

Im pouring all 3 in a glass first though.

And it wont be Coors.

What about pressure ?

How would a product like Coors or Bud Lt taste like coming out of a box without any CO2,aren't they carbonated beers after all ?

I assume this has been figured out :? , maybe put a cork in it when you are done ?
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote: has as much business making pronouncements about beer quality as I do suggesting where to put your money.

Ouch... :shock:

Ooopss......wrong thread. :oops:
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:In truth, some clueless dude writing something about "money central" has as much business making pronouncements about beer quality as I do suggesting where to put your money.

Like the "beer summit" today, it's a non-issue, and indicative of slow news days. I'm over it.

Of course, he'll never be allowed to set foot in any establishment I own ...

I bet you'd let him in Roger. You're too good of a host. It'd be an educational moment, sort of like Obama with the prof and the cop tonight, talking over some beers.....(microbrews hopefully)....

Cheers!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
PreviousNext