Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good article on Louisville food scene

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Good article on Louisville food scene

by James Natsis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Marty Rosen wrote an interesting and thoughtful piece on pros and cons of Louisville food scene.

http://louisville.metromix.com/restaura ... 70/content
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Good article on Louisville food scene

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:24 pm

James Natsis wrote:Marty Rosen wrote an interesting and thoughtful piece on pros and cons of Louisville food scene.

Good article. I'd quibble with a specific or two, but it's an excellent overview. Sadly, Marty is much better than the media he writes for. (Did you notice that piece was destined for Velocity? Say no more ... )
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Good article, James. Thanks for posting (I'd never have seen it otherwise).
Deb
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Natsis wrote:Marty Rosen wrote an interesting and thoughtful piece on pros and cons of Louisville food scene.

Good article. I'd quibble with a specific or two, but it's an excellent overview. Sadly, Marty is much better than the media he writes for. (Did you notice that piece was destined for Velocity? Say no more ... )

Velocity? What's that?!
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 pm

Just looked at the Velocity 2009 "Dining Guide". On a quick run through, found 9 listed restaurants that have been closed, some for over a year. Well, I thought, maybe it was done a while ago, but then I see some places that have been open for about 15 minutes listed. Maybe a little fact checking before publication is in order? I don't even want ot read the descriptions......
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 am

Velocity? What's that?

I used to boycott places like Walmart or McDonalds. Now if I'm thirsty and I want to pop thru the drive thru to get a $1 iced tea when it is blazing hot out, or stop in Walmart to grab something then so be it. McDo and Walmart will never make a living off of my patronizing. Same holds true with the C-J and Velocity. Velocity is a quick read that compliments LEO when they both come out on Wed. I usually grab them both and read what is worth while and flip through the rest while I enjoy a nice lunch at one of the many Louisville owned restaurants. The C-J is on-line so why not take a peak to see what is going on in our city. Let's face it, quality will win in the long run whether its food, drink (as in good coffee vs. cheap, quick fix coffee), or media (read, quality will win for those who seek it!).
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 am

I know, I know -- Velocity is published by Cordish, right?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:I know, I know -- Velocity is published by Cordish, right?

Gannett. The Cordish of newspaper corporations. (Interesting article in LEO this week about the possible future of Gannett, by the way. Talk about ... um, what's the opposite of schadenfreude? That chain deserves to die, but I'm vested in the Binghams' retirement plan, which was sucked into Gannett. There goes my old age budget. ;)
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:56 pm

This was a good article. Good point on the street food. We need some. Does anyone know if there is some sort of zoning restriction or other legal hurdle that may be the culprit in hindering street vendors around here or is Louisville just to spread out for a concentrated pedestrian audience?
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 pm

Adam C wrote:This was a good article. Good point on the street food. We need some. Does anyone know if there is some sort of zoning restriction or other legal hurdle that may be the culprit in hindering street vendors around here or is Louisville just to spread out for a concentrated pedestrian audience?

Yes, actually, I have been curious about how hard it would be to sell food (or coffee, from my perspective) out on the street. Anybody know much about the permitting procedure? Do you need a fixed location, etc?

Thanks!

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin