Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Salad Bar Restaurant?

no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

Salad Bar Restaurant?

by Jenny H » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Why isn't there any salad bar restaurants in Louisville? If I had the money to open a restaurant I think I would open one of these (been to Souper Salad and Sweet Tomatoes). Not that I have any idea what it would be like to own a restaurant, but I'm just sayin'. It seems like it would do really well around the malls or the Summit. Anyone agree? Any rumors of one coming to the area?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Salad Bar Restaurant?

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I like Sweet Tomato also . . . but one possible reason it's not in Louisville is that places like Golden Corral actually have very good fresh salad bars, and also offer steaks (not so decent) and baked chicken (good), Italian food (awful), et al for the same price. We like to go to Golden Corral, get a great salad, pick up some baked chicken (remove the bones) & add it to the salad, and good meal. Try doing the same thing at Sweet Tomato and you get a thimble full of dried out chicken (for extra money), along with additional food about the same quality as Golden Corral!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

by Karen H » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 pm

I think Jason's Deli has one of the best salad bars around. :D
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:39 pm

I definitely have to agree with the comment about Jason's. They have a wonderful salad bar as well as great soups and sandwiches! It certainly the close if you are going to come to a Salad Bar restaurant in Louisville and actually in several ways I prefer it to one of those.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:45 am

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:27 am

well, it's not a restaurant but most kroger stores have a pretty good salad bar. some even have an antipasto section where you can grab some good olives or fresh mozzarella. they keep it maintained pretty well throughout the day so it's always clean and items are fresh.

there's a shoney's near eastern parkway and preston and i'm pretty sure they're still doing the salad bar thing. off topic, but does anyone remember going to their breakfast bar after church? when i was a little girl, we went every week and i loved it...fond memories...
chi mangia bene, viva bene.

amen.
no avatar
User

Ryan G

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 am

by Ryan G » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:17 am

I don't know if it has a salad bar or not, but their is a place called the the chop block or chopping block near the corner of 5th and market downtown that suppose to only serve salads on their menu. Too bad they're only open weekdays for lunch.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:31 am

If you want to throw restaurants that have a salad bar into the mix, Ruby Tuesday's have a very good salad bar also. It's got a wide variety of foods that are very flavorful and always fresh.

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 am

Fifth Quarters. Haven't eaten there in years, but I remember enjoying their salad bar as an entree. (Have always been alittle fearful of salad bars/topping bars.)
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 am

Ellen P wrote:Fifth Quarters. Haven't eaten there in years, but I remember enjoying their salad bar as an entree. (Have always been alittle fearful of salad bars/topping bars.)

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), they closed last week!

no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

by Jenny H » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:47 am

Yeah, I agree all the places mentioned have a decent salad bar, especially Jason's Deli, but they are no Sweet Tomatoes! I like their baked goods, soups, desserts, fruits, it is just way bigger and has much more variety.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 am

One more vote for Jason's Deli.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 am

We visit family in Scottsdale, AZ often and my kids always want to go to Sweet Tomatoes. They have a nice salad bar, and lots of hot choices: pizza. soups, baked potatoes, pasta along w/ various desserts my boys like (ice cream, muffins, cookies). I would love if one opened up here.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 am

Jessie H wrote: there's a shoney's near eastern parkway and preston and i'm pretty sure they're still doing the salad bar thing. off topic, but does anyone remember going to their breakfast bar after church? when i was a little girl, we went every week and i loved it...fond memories...

YES. We always went to Shoney's (growing up in Ashland, there weren't a ton of options). I remember also meeting there for breakfast for various school-related activities in middle and high school. In fact, I was sitting in the local Ashland Shoney's having breakfast when I first heard Jerry Garcia was dead (I guess my first experience of the "I was here when Kennedy was shot" moment).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:22 am

i remember there was always a huge pan of scrambled eggs and then a pan next to it of like, cheez whiz or something. i used to pour it all over my eggs. it would probably taste bad to me now, but back then, i looked forward to going to church so that afterward, i could have those eggs. i wonder if they've changed that breakfast bar much since then. i should go and have some one'a these days.

amen.
no avatar
User

Jessie H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Iroquois Park

by Jessie H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 am

ok, anne marie just reminded me of the salad bar at university hopital. can't remember what the place was called. in fact, i think it's run by the hospital itself. if you are standing at the red cross and looking across chestnut at the hospital, it's in the basement of the building on the left. open to the public. they have a salad bar everyday and sometimes a nacho bar or baked potato bar, too. also deli items and mighty tasty soups and other hot foods. very reasonably priced. worth going, if'n you're in the area.

amen.