Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

A Shout Out to a Complete Stranger ......

by Becky M » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Some might say this is in the wrong area, but, i feel it isn't because the person is associated with a restaurant.....

About a week ago I started a thread asking if anyone had any information on a good cheap refrigerator. I had been looking on Craigslist for a while already, and nothing was coming to fruition. I would call and get the "it was just sold", "you just missed it", etc. We even rented a uhaul to go pick up a refrigerator, we were told it was brand new. It was new, but it had been dropped or something, and was SEVERELY damaged. We left greatly disillusioned, lied to, and scammed.

It was the last straw, and i posted here as a last resort. I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction and something would come of it. A lot of people did send me links, and helped me with information. But one person sent me a PM and offered us a refrigerator. I was speechless. I talked it over with my husband, at great length. We just didn't know, i didn't want to cross any lines on this forum, and well it was just so unexpected.

We had to throw away all of the food that we had, it had all gone bad or was questionable. With children, we just could not take the risk. The next day i accepted the refrigerator.

Everything went smoothly after that. We all drove out to pick up the fridge this Saturday. The owner was not there, but had left it outside for us. It is a nice fridge, not just anyone gives away a refrigerator, to a stranger. She had said to me, "it is not the prettiest thing". Let me repeat, it is a nice fridge. My husband went and bought a filter for the icemaker, and a little kit, and everything is working fine. I bought milk today and put it in the new fridge. My 2 yr. old's exact words, "Yay MILK!!!"

I thought about this a lot, and i want you all to know that Paula B gave my family this refrigerator. Things are so ugly in the world sometimes. We are surrounded by such negativeness around us that sometimes we are blinded that there is still goodness out there. Not all is lost........

I am beginning to get teary....(yes, i am a very emotional person)...so i am going to close this.....but....I just wanted you all to know what a nice, selfless, humble person Paula is....and how she extended herself to help someone out........
no avatar
User

JThompson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: A Shout Out to a Complete Stranger ......

by JThompson » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:06 pm

What a great story, it seems we as people get so used to seeing and hearing about the ugly side of humanity that it is easy to forget that people can be good and decent. Personally I'm very guilty of always expecting the worst; call it jaded or pessimistic but it's like I have a disability that keeps me from seeing the good in people. Something as simple as this proves that I'm very wrong.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:16 pm

I'm a firm believer that there are far more good people in the world than bad ones. Your story is yet another example of that.

Cheers....

-nimbus

(we'll toss Paula in the good category..heehee)
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:07 pm

I vote Paula to be Hotbytes person of the week!!!
Thanks for sharing that story.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:16 pm

In a word...Awesome. I love happy endings. Thanks for posting this, it made my day.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:24 am

GaryF wrote:I vote Paula to be Hotbytes person of the week!!!

Second the motion! When wonderful things like this happen, it makes me happy that I built this virtual pub and that wonderful people walked in here.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:35 am

Yay Paula!!! What a nice thing to do for a "stranger" and I am not the least bit surprised!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 am

Paula rocks...a very wonderful lady.
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:45 am

Three cheers for Paula, in recognition of her kindness and classiness! (She has a pretty snazzy name too, if I do say so myself) :D
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:13 pm

I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money.
no avatar
User

Bonnie E.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 pm

by Bonnie E. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Shame on me for "bumping" this thread, but I felt it should be up at the top again. Just because it made me feel good when I read it the first time.
no avatar
User

Steve R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 am

by Steve R » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Another shout out goes to Justin Hammond!!! After I posted a topic about where to find Homegrown Tomatoes Justin sent me a private message inviting me over to his house. He ended up giving me a good dozen tomatoes along with some jalapeno's and some fresh Basil.

Another great story of the kindness of strangers in the Hotbytes cyber-world. :D

Lets here it for Justin!!!

Thanks again Justin! You Rock!!! 8)
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm

Very nice of Justin to do that for you....Isn't it great when kindness is spread.........

here in our little nook in the world....we feel it .... :D :D :D
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Very nice and the reason why I still linger on the board.