Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Old School

no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Old School

by Karen H » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:14 am

Brad Keeton wrote:Um, well, I've never been to this place, but I'm intrigued.

I play golf often at Quail Chase (65 South to Snyder East to Smyrna Rd. exit, then left on Cooper Chapel Rd.). On the corner of Smyrna Rd. and Cooper Chapel Rd. is this rootbeer/food stand shaped like a giant red barrel. I'm usually either running late for a tee time or exhausted after playing, and so have never stopped, but the place has always intrigued me.

It's called The Barrel of Fun and they have great banana splits :D ....have other ice cream products too that are very good (hand scooped or soft serve) They also have hot dogs, nachos and such.

Barrel of Fun Ice Cream
(502) 964-2816
Okolona
9421 Smyrna Pkwy
Okolona, KY 40229
no avatar
User

Steve R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 am

by Steve R » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 pm

If you go to Polly Freeze, which you certainly must, a trip (before or after) to the Georgetown Drive-in is mandatory. This place is older than old-school. Drive your 57 Chevy and grease your hair back and let the nostalgia flow. 8)
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Karen H wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:Um, well, I've never been to this place, but I'm intrigued.

I play golf often at Quail Chase (65 South to Snyder East to Smyrna Rd. exit, then left on Cooper Chapel Rd.). On the corner of Smyrna Rd. and Cooper Chapel Rd. is this rootbeer/food stand shaped like a giant red barrel. I'm usually either running late for a tee time or exhausted after playing, and so have never stopped, but the place has always intrigued me.

It's called The Barrel of Fun and they have great banana splits :D ....have other ice cream products too that are very good (hand scooped or soft serve) They also have hot dogs, nachos and such.

Barrel of Fun Ice Cream
(502) 964-2816
Okolona
9421 Smyrna Pkwy
Okolona, KY 40229

Thanks!
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Hey All ! Thanks for all of the replies...This should keep us busy the rest of the summer. Once again the food forum-byters come through.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:52 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:Wow. Another topic I feel comfortable with! :lol:

About 30 minutes west of Louisville in Milltown, IN is Blue River Cafe. Decent food, good service, excellent spirits menu for the locale and some very good entertainment on Friday & Saturday nites. This week is Tyrone Cotton (original Blues) Friday nite and Lick Creek Band (60's rock/pop) Saturday nite.

Here's a link that has directions and menus. http://www.bluerivercafe.com/

We took a quick 4 mile trip over to Milltown, IN earlier today and had lunch at the Blue River Cafe. Since the recent downpours have put canoeing the Blue River (which was quite Brown today) on hiatus, we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The Pork Tenderloin sandwich was excellent and was real pork, not some synthetic pressed cardboard imitation. The home made steak fries and coleslaw were very well done also.
Thanks for the recommendation and we'll go back soon to sample the dinner menu. Not an issue for this carnivore, but there are a number of meatless choices on the menu.

Bill
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:30 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Previous