Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

PF CHANGS

no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

PF CHANGS

by TrishaW » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:31 pm

WHY???? WHY?????
I'm being dragged to PF Changs in a couple of hours with some of my girl friends. Even though I offered PLENTY of names of quality restaurants that are ethnic and NOT chains, they insist on going to Changs.

Recommendations on what to eat?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: PF CHANGS

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 pm

TrishaW wrote:WHY???? WHY?????
I'm being dragged to PF Changs in a couple of hours with some of my girl friends. Even though I offered PLENTY of names of quality restaurants that are ethnic and NOT chains, they insist on going to Changs.

Recommendations on what to eat?

When I had to go review it, they had a lamb stir-fry that was pretty good. Actually, Trisha, if it's any consolation, although it's a far cry from Red Pepper or many of our other real Chinese (and local) favorites, Chang's makes okay food for a chain. The price-to-value ratio just doesn't make it, though.
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

by TrishaW » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:38 pm

Robin, are you like I did, saying it is toooooo high for what you get?

I offered up Red Pepper, Thai Siam, Vietnam Kitchen, Annies, and others. They three of them out voted me. I guess they aren't feeling adventurous. They wanted something they don't have in Bowling Green, but I guess nothing too different than they're used to.

I've heard good things about the lettuce wraps.
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:41 pm

I'll never understand why people become so obsessed with P.F. Changs. I know people who begin fawning and drooling at the very mention of the place. Sounds to me like you're all too familiar with taht kind of person.

I've only been there once, and it was quite a while ago. After pulling up a menu online, I remembered having the Dali Chicken because it is advertised as the "spiciest chick dish." Of course it wasn't as spicy as I had hoped, but the flavor wasn't bad. It had potatoes and leeks as well, but I think the portion of chicken was reasonable.

I hope that helps you out a bit. :wink:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Chang's makes okay food for a chain. The price-to-value ratio just doesn't make it, though.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

TrishaW wrote:They wanted something they don't have in Bowling Green, but I guess nothing too different than they're used to.

I've met a lot of people with a similar attitude about Changs. It seems to me that the largest portion of their devoted following all hail from areas without a Changs, or much in the way of ethnic food at all for that matter. I really think the novelty, combined with the adoring (tinged with fanaticism) way that many people talk about it, is the sole basis for it's appeal.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Despite being a "chain" I've enjoyed the food here on more than one occasion. Probably one of the better non-local establishments we visit.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

TrishaW

{ RANK }

Foodie

by TrishaW » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:53 pm

I just pulled up the menu. BLAH! Someone come kidnap me. We are a party of four women, reservation at 5pm.

The menu LOOKS ok, but the prices are high. I could feed a family of four at Vietname Kitchen for these prices! :twisted:

I just have gotten so I hate chains. Down with the man!!! :wink:
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm

TrishaW wrote:I just pulled up the menu. BLAH! Someone come kidnap me. We are a party of four women, reservation at 5pm.

The menu LOOKS ok, but the prices are high. I could feed a family of four at Vietname Kitchen for these prices! :twisted:

I just have gotten so I hate chains. Down with the man!!! :wink:

<sigh>...Just another example of The Man trying to keep you down. :lol: Enjoy your meal, there are actually some very appealing items on the menu.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Steve P wrote:Despite being a "chain" I've enjoyed the food here on more than one occasion. Probably one of the better non-local establishments we visit.

The one chain in town that I really enjoy is Buca di Beppo. The prices are great for the amount of food you get, and its always fun with a big party of people.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:32 pm

Paul Mick wrote:
Steve P wrote:Despite being a "chain" I've enjoyed the food here on more than one occasion. Probably one of the better non-local establishments we visit.

The one chain in town that I really enjoy is Buca di Beppo. The prices are great for the amount of food you get, and its always fun with a big party of people.

Agreed. Particularly if you get the "Pope Room". :D
Deb
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Agreed. Particularly if you get the "Pope Room". :D
Deb

Indeed! Especially considering the fact that they've kept the bust of JP II and not switched over to Benedict. :wink:
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:54 pm

PF Changs is fine. The sea bass is good as is the aforementioned lamb and lettuce wraps.

Pope or no Pope my last experience at "Bucca whatever" was not good. Mushy pasta and gallons of red sauce. I thought they gave The Spaghetti Factory a good run for their money.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:37 pm

annemarie m wrote:in my opinion bucca has gone done hill a bit. they have taken the best items off their menu. the recipes and quality is not what it used to be. they keep changing their menu. they are now owned by hard rock cafe. the only reason i go, is that they keep mailing me coupons for literally free food. when i go, i have them make me the original menu items, which they will do if they have all the ingredients on hand. they are accommodating. :)
Agreed! (biting tongue). I can say that when they had 12 venues (when I opened the one on Hurstbourne) the food was VERY different. Ahh, but the ever present need to drive sales at the expense of quality ruled the day and the soul went by the wayside! Publicly held equaled publicly dead....! I wonder if the mastermind of that juggernaut is out of jail yet?? (hint, same fool that drove Chi-Chi's into the ground....Joe?)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:57 pm

When I moved here, back in the pre PF Changs days, and discovered August Moon I thought how great, a local place in the style of Changs but with all the benefits of being local. And, in my opinion, even better food. When Changs opened, having eaten in them in at least 5 cities, I thought why would I want to wait in a crazy line when something even better is just down the road. I still feel that way and will pick August Moon over Changs any day of the week.

On a side note, the only time I ate at Bucca we were in the Pope Room. Having the lazy Susan stop with the Pope staring directly at me was totally creepy!!!
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:30 pm

annemarie m wrote:david, just so you know bucca is now closed for lunch. this started about a month ago. when i asked the head manager marci why, she said, lunch time was very slow.
Not sure what being closed for lunch has to do with the already derailed topic.... but okay? I know Marci and hired her as a wait assistant way back when....but that's another story and now she runs the place.....I can only wish her the best (to be fair, they were mis-managed from the top down and I am surprised they are still a functioning entity). For the record, I LOVED the concept, bought into it 100% and was one of the first people to be disenchanted when it went south...It is unfortunate that greed and foolishness has ruined yet another good idea...and i'll leave it at that.
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
Next