Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dragon King's Daughter

no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Dragon King's Daughter

by Carolyne Davis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:31 am

Since I have to work when the offline lunch happens, we jumped the gun and ate at Dragon King's Daughter last night.
OMG!
They have done it again - AWESOME! Loved it!
We had salmon tacos (I changed mine up a bit and did avacado and mango chili sauce), you get three for like $8. We also had the Tuna Takati (may have spelled that one wrong!) pizza. This was fabulous!($11, I think) Flatbread with spring mix, seared sliced ahi tuna, fried garlic chips and wasabi mayo. Yum, yum, yum!
We also tried the rice and cheese, a sqaure of gooey, cheesey rice that had been baked. ($3) Quite delicious even though a little on the bland side. Doesn't need a sauce, but needs to be "kicked up a notch". My favorite, and I am certain I could eat bowls of this, was the wasabi salsa. We went with a mix of tuna and salmon sashimi in the salsa because the server said you could actually taste it, but I didn't actually taste the fish and am thinking it would have been just as tasty without paying the extra $3 for it. Without the sashmi I think it was only $6. I am so sure that the lightly fried and totally decadent wonton chips are calorie free???? LOL I wish! We had a California roll to smooth out the spicyness of the salsa. It too was very good. I had a nice light, crisp chardonnay and Gordy had a beer whose name escapes me. I was little dismayed to get a large wine glass not even 1/2 full for $8. (It's all about perception to me, give me the same amount in a smaller glass and I wouldn't have noticed) We were so stuffed when we left! Loved every bite! Way to go, best of luck!
no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Dragon King's Daughter

by Sallie P. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 am

Is there a website or menu to look at yet?
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Ahhh, I can't wait until Monday. All of this sounds absolutely fabulous.

sallie p. wrote:Is there a website or menu to look at yet?

I couldn't find a menu online, even at louisvillediner.com

However, I did find something interesting in Robin's old LEO write-up about Sushi in the City.

"Maido Essential Japanese co-owner and sushi-maker Toki Masubuchi Huie fashions “Dragon King’s Daughter Reborn” bites at Sushi in the City...The lyrically named “Dragon King’s Daughter Reborn” caught my attention with its colorful look and subtle flavor, a citrus-accented tuna roll presented on a half-moon slice of fresh orange. Another tuna bite was striped with a spicy white sauce."

I wonder if they'll be serving those at the eponymous restaurant.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Have gone several times and love it! Have turned on many friends as well--this is a fabulous new addition to the Highlands!!! :D :D
no avatar
User

Ryane Norris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am

by Ryane Norris » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 am

My friend Nathan, who designed their sign, took his boyfriend Nolan and I to lunch there the other day. It was absolutely delicious! We had the Cirtus Heat roll as a starter (my favorite roll at Maido). I love it but the boys found the lime a little to powerful. The server brought us some vegetable gyoza we didn't order just so we could try (so nice of them!) I could not figure out what kind of veggies were in them but it really didn't matter because they were so good! Nathan and I ordered the Shrimp Tempura tacos with cabbage, avocado, and wasabi mayo. They were crispy and very flavorful. Nolan ordered the Chicken Teriaki Pizza. I tried a piece and it was very good as well, although i think i would have ordered the pizza with tuna (i can't remember what it was called) had i gone that route. I have no idea what the tab was since Nathan had a credit and treated us but i do know that I left satisfied and with enough left overs for my boyfriend's dinner. I think Dragon King's Daughter is a great addition to Bardstown Rd. I'll definitely be returning soon!
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm

I had been wanting to try this place out; but, was hesitant after driving by and seeing the "SUSHI BUFFET"
sign in the window (the "buffet" word scares me especially with sushi!). However, after seeing Sapporo had a wait Saturday night, I turned around and went back to DKD. I sat at the bar and had friendly personable service. I was trying to eat light, and ordered an appetizer and a half salad with an austrailian chardonnay.

My app was the salmon sashimi, which was salmon wrapped around huge slices of fresh avacado with pine nuts and a wasabi cream sauce. I received, i believe, 8 of these pieces for $8. To say the least I was impressed and pretty full after that.

My half salad was a sashimi salad that had white tuna, ahi tuna and salmon. (there was so much sashimi on this salad, i truthfully was overwhelmed. A good guesstamation would be about 10-12 slices) The sashimi layed on top of a bed of mixed greens, once again with fresh avacodo and a lite drizzle of dressing I don't recall what kind. I could only eat about a quarter of the salad and I was stuffed. This item too was only $8.

Honestly, I don't know how they are even close to a good food cost with these servings and prices, but I definately will be back soon. The atmosphere was clean, and relaxing. There were only a few tables seated where as everywhere else on Bardstown Road seemed to be jammin at 8:30 on a
Saturday night. Please give this place a visit!!! I would hate to see such a great new edition to Louisville fail. One last plus...I informed the bartender (who I guess was managing as well) about the sign in the window and how it detoured me away from the place to begin with. It has since been removed! W00t!